Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trailing arm geometry
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So,

I am working on a project to install early 911 trailing arms into a 356.
Instead of a full tube going from side to side, I need to built two shorter tubes to allow the larger transmission to fit properly.

The question is this.

Assume the tube is perfectly square within the chassis.

Would the mounting face of the wheel at the hub be perfectly square to the chassis with zero toe in our out?

Looking for a method to lay out the brackets to get it setup properly prior to welding.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 25 2014, 05:49 PM) *

So,

I am working on a project to install early 911 trailing arms into a 356.
Instead of a full tube going from side to side, I need to built two shorter tubes to allow the larger transmission to fit properly.

The question is this.

Assume the tube is perfectly square within the chassis. Yes
Would the mounting face of the wheel at the hub be perfectly square to the chassis with zero toe in our out? [/color]Yes and No (Depends)
[color=#FF0000] on how the suspension is setup? I usually have access to a 911 with its skirt up and panties off but not this week . You will need to know the height of the trailing arms pivots from a datum line. You will also need the height of center of the hubs to the same datum line to get a static base line as if sitting on the ground. What about spring plates?
Looking for a method to lay out the brackets to get it setup properly prior to welding.

If you can find a salvage yard with the suspension and drivetrain out the bracket layout would not be hard to measure out. Personally I would build the pivot mount box out of the car and then make adjustments as you go. The other option would be to find a wrecked 911 or one already cut in half and use it as a jig or remove the section you need and graft it to the pan.
r_towle
If I could find a rear 911 or 912 tube, then it would buy it...trailing arms and all.

But I don't want a whole car....

I have called some of the places but more of the tubs are getting restored now....
Durus
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

Too much barn...not enough time.
Durus
Use an old technique from the carpenters...an "angle finder"....the only problem is, your going to need to find the early 911 trailing arm layout...really easy...find someone that ownes one...explain what you're up to...take your angle finder...measure and lock and your done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.