Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 16"x7 Fuchs Narrow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alapone
Hello all,

I have been contemplating wheels and tires for the upcoming season. Was originally leaning toward minilite style VTOs or revolution. As it happens my dad has an extra set of (painted guards red) fuchs 16x7 rear and 16x6 front wheels that Id like to put on my mostly stock 914. (The wheels came off a 1985 911 he bought and promptly changed out for another set of black fuchs.) Will I be able to fit the wheels without rolling or otherwise modifying the fenders? Can I go with 205/45/16s or will I have to go lower profile? 40? falken doesn't make 35 in a 16" does anyone else? if someone does, do I want them?? I have no autox or track plans for the near future, is a simple drilled rotor type conversion fine for this application? Will I see a loss in performance from my current setup (2.0l fuchs 15x5.5s w 205/50/15 falken azenis) when going with a larger potentially heavier wheel? What other options do I have to get the wheels to fit properly? (camber ect.) and lastly, what is the process and cost associated with painting the wheels? I was going to go with the standard black finish but I am open to more period correct suggestions. Also open to suggestions for places to get the painting done in the North NJ region. I packed in the questions here I know but thanks in advance. I'm snowed in and dreaming of summer....

Andrew
ConeDodger
You ask a bunch of questions that almost all become irrelevant after the first one. No, you cannot put 16X7 Fuchs in the rear without rolling the fenders. It is very close, but you'll be shaving rubber with every rotation of the tire. Solution: find a pair of 16X6 Fuchs and go with a square setup. Some will say you can, but I've seen enough not work that while it might not be the mythical unicorn, it's rare to be sure.

Later, you ask about performance. Grassroots Motorsports recently tested this. Straight line acceleration suffers but cornering improves.
Alapone
So from a budget standpoint I will be saving a decent amount of money on a set of fuchs (less the repaint). Maybe I will be able to roll the fenders with the cash saved? Is that a road I want to go down to achieve the goal or just find the pair of 16x6 fuchs? Good news on the performance, after all the reason to own a 2.0l isn't the acceleration....
mepstein
Sell the 7's, buy a pair of 6's, buy 205x50x15 and you'll be set.
Unless you don't care about the paint, do not roll the fenders to fit 7's.
Sometimes rolling works, sometimes it doesn't.
Unless you have a big engine, you will have plenty of wheel and tire on the ground.
cgnj
Hi,

I have played this game. I could not fit a 16x7 on the back of any of the 914s I owned without rolling the fender lip or a small pull. 16x6 with 205/55/16 is the no headache solution.

I don't know how far you from Bordentown, but you could try contacting Don Petchel. I have bought quite a few wheels from him in the past at reasonable prices, plus he has great stories. Maybe you can trade for your 7"s for 6"s.
Petchel

Carlos
Alapone
Thanks Carlos, as im sure you can tell im still on at the drawing board. I have a 3- at best paintjob on the car right now and have no qualms about giving the rears a roll or a pull to get where Im trying to go. Any idea where to get that done? Bordentown is a reasonable drive. I have a body guy that I trust and have used on other daily drivers should I just go to him or is there some 914 specific know how that needs to be employed here?
rick 918-S
Use caution when ever you try to pull the lips. Too much and you will noticeably change your door gap. Not for the beginner.
Big Len
Where are you in NJ?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(cgnj @ Feb 26 2014, 08:52 AM) *

Hi,

I have played this game. I could not fit a 16x7 on the back of any of the 914s I owned without rolling the fender lip or a small pull. 16x6 with 205/55/16 is the no headache solution.

I don't know how far you from Bordentown, but you could try contacting Don Petchel. I have bought quite a few wheels from him in the past at reasonable prices, plus he has great stories. Maybe you can trade for your 7"s for 6"s.
Petchel

Carlos

Funny you should mention Dan. I just shipped him a 911 targa top to rebuild.
Alapone
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 26 2014, 02:33 PM) *

Where are you in NJ?

I am in Hoboken, Hudson county. Do you know any 914 guys around here?
Big Len
Yes there are several. Sending PM.
campbellcj
I ran 16x7 Fuchs with 205 tires (square setup) for years. Here is a pic where you can kinda see that the rear fenders were pulled and rolled agressively. It was done well and from most angles it looked totally stock. However, as noted above it is not easy to do this without cracking the paint and/or fooking-up the shape of the fender.

For a street car I'd stick with 15x6 or 16x6 wheels as recommended by others. On another car I had 15x6 Panasports that were really sweet and not super expensive.

IPB Image
914werke
So this has been discussed again & again. I thought there are a couple different offset's for 16x7 Fuchs and IIRC one of them should fit depending on the tire chosen.

Sort of on topic, concerning fender "rolling", The stock sheet metal at the arch ends in a L shape and if you look up into the (Rear) arch from below without the wheel installed the top lip of the that arch is profiled or notched by the factory to allow clearance for the tire.
When you "roll" the fenders you are effectively rolling that lip up or parallel with the fender.
Im not down with that solution for my own reasons, so is there a alternate way to stretch /pull the fenders slightly to address fitment of a 16x7 Fuch when necessary?
Alapone
Click to view attachmentis there any evidence of the fenders having been altered in this pic? The inside of fender lip is not consistent all the way through. I don't have much room in the back with my current setup 15x5.5 2.0l fuchs with 205/50/15 falken azenis.
Alapone
part number on the prospective fuchs 16x7 is 911.36102044 AS10.62
ConeDodger
Just my opinion but these cars have become valuable enough that you have to be careful what modifications you choose... It will not be long before 4 cylinder preservation cars command over $20K on a regular basis. Pulling and rolling fenders can be done badly and what I have seen, usually done badly.
I'd stick with the 16X6.

Your car though, do what you want...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 27 2014, 11:29 AM) *

Just my opinion but these cars have become valuable enough that you have to be careful what modifications you choose... It will not be long before 4 cylinder preservation cars command over $20K on a regular basis. Pulling and rolling fenders can be done badly and what I have seen, usually done badly.
I'd stick with the 16X6.

Your car though, do what you want...

agree.gif Exactly why I left the wart lights on Sandy's car. Bolt on stuff I think is fine. Prices seem to be climbing for stock cars.
Alapone
I completely agree with that take on the market. The only reason I am thinking about this is because of an (almost) free set of fuchs and the fact that my paint is in relatively bad condition. Other things will need to be dealt with as well before I can honestly call her a "preservation condition" 914.
ConeDodger
Sell your almost free set of Fuchs and you're 1/3 of the way to a decent paint job without rust repair and body damage... biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
I made 16x7's from 6's by adding an inch to the inside , much like the 911R 15 wheels,
I also made my son 16x7.5 , for his golf, but they don't fit 914's without rolling the lips..here is a pic.16x7.5 from 16x6's
campbellcj
That's an interesting, cool solution. If not hung up on having OE Fuchs there are also good quality aftermarket wheels that can be ordered in custom offsets. For example I just got some Braid "Fuchs-style" wheels that are really nice, and available in countless measurements and finishes.
cgnj
Hi,

Looks like the fender lip has been rolled up. Now visualize needing another 1.5 inches minimum.

Carlos
Alapone

What do you mean by adding an inch to the inside? spacer? sorry still new to alot of this. The wheels I am talking about are off an 85' carerra not sure if that narrows down offset.
ConeDodger
Sometimes wheel workers such as Jeff Hines or Harvey Weidman add an inch or so to a set of wheels. My own car is flared and has 8.5X16 RSR Fuchs in the rear made from 4-16X6 Fuchs. Cut and welded to change the offset.
Zaney
I started out thinking I would keep it it simple and just roll mine but, I got carried away beer.gif

Click to view attachment

MoveQik
I would go with 16x6's as the no brainer. They look great. They fit with zero troubles and they are easy to find. Here is mine before I went through all of the headache and expense of pulling the fenders for wider wheels. IMHO, there is no quick, cheap or easy way to pull the fenders if you want it to look right. If someone tells you they can just roll a bat under there and stretch them, run away quickly.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.