Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine bay soundproof pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
I'm going to take out my engine bay sound proof pad and do some cleaning behind. Reality is I don't want to put it back in there.

Mine appears to be in pretty good shape. Are these things even worth anything?
rosenfe
i got a thick one and it reduced engine noise in passenger compatment significantly,but if you like the sound then it could be removed.
ndfrigi
Some suggested to remove that sound pad we have to be able to check rust inside it since it water can go in there and cause a big problem on the wall. And I have seen a lot that does not have any sound proofing on that side of the engine wall.

Mine still has the engine wall sound proofing and inside wall proofing and still I can hear the engine sound so much. For me I prefer also of minimizing the engine sound from the inside. Unless sound proofing from the inside plus the back pad is enough for sound proofing. Any comments also please from experienced 914 owners? Bye the way, my 914 is basically for cruising or city driving only and not for autocross.

God Bless!
r_towle
The old technology of the OEM sound pad has been surpassed by lots of new technology like dynamat, fatmat, or spray on ceramic sound proofing like lizard skin and others.

If I was looking to sound proof my car, I would do both a pray on solution and a peal and stick solution to block more types of sound waves.

Then the window becomes the issue.
luskesq
I have a 1.7 running a Bursch muffler with a sound pad on inside firewall and Mark's (914Rubber) sound pad (very nice I might add) in the engine compartment. I attached it with velcro strips when I want it removed for inspection. I'm not sure that there is a great deal of sound deadening but considering the proximity of the engine it isn't bad. At least you can converse with a passenger without yelling.

Keith
AfricanHijinx
+1 on the lizard skin, its paintable too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.