Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences between EA and GA case?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Han Solo
I had a recommended VW shop rebuild my '73 2.0L to long block. I got the engine back yesterday and I've got an EA case when I know the original was a GA. What's the physical differences in the cases? From what I understand you can put the 2.0L jugs and pistons on the 1.7L and that's apparently what the shop did. When I questioned why I didn't have the original case, the mechanic said that was one that was ready (as if there's no big difference). Here's the specs on the rebuild...

Case; linebore decking
Crank reground
Rods;h beam 22mm pin
Cam lift 507 duration 298
Lifters scat solid lube a lobe
Heads rebuild 42x38 or 44x38 dual springs,competition
valve job
Pistons JE 96mm 22mm pin and cylinders
Rockers stock modified for hi reving
Flywheel lightened
KEP clutch stage 1
Oil pump 26mm with cover
Main bearings
Rod bearings
Cam bearings double trust
Gasket
Hardware kit nuts and bolts
Valve covers aluminum bolt on
Push rods Manto .058 wall

He also ported the intakes on the heads and runners for the 44 Webers.

What issues will I have to deal with regarding putting everything from the GA case on this (covers, oil cooler, fan, alternator, etc.)?
flipb
I don't know much about the case differences. But, depending what you plan to do with your car in the long run, I'd be pissed that a mechanic swapped out the numbers-matching case. As 914 values grow, having a fully numbers-matching car will likely command a bit of a premium.

(I just built my original 2.0 into a 2056 using the original block, and all the original parts are in a box.)
Mblizzard
Are you saying you sent a GA case and got back an EA?

The GA is a 73 to 74 2.0 case while the EA is a 1.7 case. I would not be happy with that swap unless you had agreed to it in advance. Anyone looking at your engines case number later on, would assume it was a 1.7 based on the number. Of course the heads would tell a different story.

It is my understanding that everything on the cases should be the same.
Mark Henry
I would be a bit pissed, seeing as they had to line bore the case anyways.

Often the 1.7 (1.8) case is better for a performance build because in theory the 66mm crank the case has seen an easier life. IIRC It's the same, only a few 411 1.7 cases didn't have the mounts for the windage tray.
If it's numbers matching I'd ask for the GA case back.
Chris H.
agree.gif I would want the one I brought in back. That doesn't sound right...
cwpeden
He wanted a 2.0 case for his own project?....In my case it happened to the PO.
GA case swapped for a CB case.

Get yours back. The one he gave you is only worth $50.
McMark
Differences between EA and GA case?

One has a G in the number one has an E instead. They're functionally the same. I can't remember if there is some tiny, obscure difference, but if you took the serial numbers off, you'd be hard pressed to know which on was which.

The GA case has developed a bit of a reputation as 'the good case', but really that started with the 914 buyers guides that are various places around the internet. The original GA engines were the highest HP producing engines VW/Porsche made. So they were the ones to look for. People still look for GA engines to build, even though there's no difference if you pull it apart and replace all the internals. When I look for core engines to build, I don't even look at the serial number. I look at the line bore condition and general case condition. What numbers are on the outside is the last thing I look at, and I only do it then out of curiosity.

If you don't care about the engine number and you don't see/find any issues with the EA case, just build it and move on. Or stop by and just ask. But it's not going to make a functional difference, so I wouldn't make a big stink over it. They may have done you a huge favor if your GA was crappy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 27 2014, 08:18 AM) *
They may have done you a huge favor if your GA was crappy.

agree.gif
Han Solo
Thanks gents. If this was a restoration, yes, I'd be pissed and want the OEM case. But it's a bare bones race car build so matching numbers don't mean nothing. This engine had a fractured piston, burnt and bent valves with all sorts of shrapnel inside. There very well could have been damage to the OEM case that was not repairable. The shop specializes in VW machine work and I'm trusting that the mechanic figured this was the right way to go. I've confirmed that there is very little difference in the three different 914/4 cases so as long as everything bolts on properly - I'm good. I appreciate the comments and insight. Pictures on my build thread here...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2003872
stugray
Jake once stated that he prefers to use the 1.7L cases if given an option.
But I dont recall if he said why.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.