Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Received Email From Pelican Member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Got this email from UMarky about the Ultimate Rally complete with web site. Looks like it's from coast to coast like the Gumball movie. $30K entrance fee IPB Image
It appears that Kimbal is instigating??? Who is Kimbal?

Most all'a yous that have been on the Bird Board have received this, eh? IPB Image

Ultimate Rally

.....b
seanery
not only an email but a pm too.

I'd be pissed if I was Pelican. I wonder how they did the mass sending.

He's not booted off yet either.
ClayPerrine
I got it too.

Did you go to the web page and look at the routes? One crosses north Africa and ends in Beruit. Another ends in Peking, China, and another runs thorugh South America. The only route that I would run in the whole list goes through Canada.

I am not paying 30K to get shot or carjacked.
Chris H.
Me too. PM. Seems like a big scam to me. $30K entrance fee? Riiiight. Let me get my checkbook. The user I got a message from was Cirovulcan.
tesserra
I read thru the rules.
Is this a scam?

"The organizer also reserves the right to cancel any event at any time for any reason. No refunds will be made in this case."

Put up $12,500 deposit and they may cancel and you have no recourse?

Hey, fools and thier money soon part.

George
Gint
I got one also. I haven't posted anything on Pelican for a couple of years.

This is a message from Cblingbling at Pelican Parts Technical BBS (
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/index.php ). The Pelican Parts Technical
BBS owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email Cblingbling, you can use this online form:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/member.php?...rm&userid=26373

OR, by email:
mailto:cbligh@gmail.com

This is the message:

To the best drivers on earth:

The Ultimate Rally is the world championship of street racing.
7 days, 3000 miles, 200mph and US$ 2 million prize money.

If you are a fast driver with a powerful car & balls of steel
checkout our offical website: http://www.ultimaterally.com/

The Ultimate Rally is limited to 100 cars and the entry fee
is US$ 30,000. See our terms & conditions and apply here:
http://www.ultimaterally.com/application.html

Join our official Forums at http://board.ultimaterally.com/
and learn more about this next generation Cannonball Run.

Greetings,

Kimble
Fouder of the Ultimate Rally.
www.kimble.or
mike_the_man
Kimball was a computer hacker in the 90s, spent a bit of time in jail, I think. When he got out he started a computer security company, or some such, and is supposed to be very wealthy now. He won the Gumball rally a couple of times. Now he's putting on the Ultimate rally. Sounds a little shakey to me too, but he's already got a few people signed up. If you look at the forums on the UR website, there is a guy that has a 800hp 993TT and a Dauer 962.

I imagine the he hacked Pelican and sent out a mass email and PM, or something. He apparently hacked Google as well. For a few days, whenever you would type in anything about racing, the Ultimate Rally would come up.

Sounds like it might be fun, but a little rich for my blood.
azbill
I have never posted on Pelican and I got one. I think it is a scam. Who's ever doing this has some balls.

Azbill
GWN7
scam

I got the same, but from mailto:bush.bush@gmail.com
Joe Bob
Not as yet....maybe they didn't send it to psychos with guns.... IPB Image
Bruce Allert
Ya, Pelican must'a been hacked since it's not the same person sending the emails... Look at the guys picture (Kimbal) he doesn't look like anyone that I'd do business with, especially with what his profile says IPB Image

......b
Air_Cooled_Nut
I thought it weird PP would send something like this but when I got to the part where it said $30,000 entrance fee I immediately deleted it. Paying for a car to make the journey is enough money and then "they" want even more? Obviously they haven't read my profile! Anyone who's most 'modern' vehicle is a '95 VW and the rest are 20+ years old should tell "them" something IPB Image
mike_the_man
The $30grand actually includes airfair for you and your co driver, transportation for your car, hotels and meals for the week, and a 48 hour party with free booze at the end. Sounds better and better, doesn't it!
ematulac
Pelican BBS is slow as molasses. Looks like everyone is trying to get their PM this morning. IPB Image
ppickerell
I have followed this rally for a month or so. It is really interesting to visit the forum there. There is some serious G-Money playas hangin around there. Enzos and McClarens. MUST HAVE MORE HP!
DuckRyder
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 7 2005, 12:10 PM)
Not as yet....maybe they didn't send it to psychos with guns.... IPB Image

aHH, That explains why I haven't gotten it yet.... IPB Image
balthazar
I got two PM's about this thing, one from Ramil.dada@gmail.com and one from millercertain@gmail.com. I can't access Pelican to read them though, VERY SLOWWWW. I figured there would be a thread about it here. It's a good thing I checked here before I wrote the $30k check! IPB Image HAHAHAHAHAHa lol IPB Image
SpecialK
Yep, got PM'd too IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (ematulac @ Jan 7 2005, 08:57 AM)
Pelican BBS is slow as molasses. Looks like everyone is trying to get their PM this morning. IPB Image

I got through, after getting a new password like I do EVERY time I go to the PP site. I would guess the list of people/cars signed is as bogus as their advertising techniques. Can you say "scam"? The Cap'n, krustier than usual today ........
dheinz
I can't even access Pelican right now.

Can anybody else bring the site up?
Allan
I got one from a LindaAntal. Didn't have a check so I gave them my bank account number. IPB Image IPB Image
Aaron Cox
i got one too IPB Image
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (dheinz @ Jan 7 2005, 12:13 PM)

The main website seems to be OK, but the forums ain't. I've emailed Wayne about it, no reply as yet. I may try phoning him tonight if everything is still FUBAR.

--DD
Wayne at Pelican Parts
Hi all. I wouldn't say that we were "hacked." A specific person created about 45 user accounts on our BBS, and then proceeded to have their computer automatically send out Private Messages to people in our system. No imformation or emails were compromised (the messages were sent through our internal BBS system). It's possible to do this with just about any board if someone wants to take the time and effort (the fifty or so accounts had matching 50 or so accounts at Google). Needless to say, this person spent some time setting this up.

I have deleted all of the user accounts that have sent this message (registered over a month ago!) and I have also deleted all of the messages.

I have reported the incident to the FBI, and I will also discuss the matter with one of our staff members who is a former FBI agent.

Thanks for those who emailed me this morning and alerted me before this got out of hand.

Thanks,

Wayne
DuckRyder
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 7 2005, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (dheinz @ Jan 7 2005, 12:13 PM)

The main website seems to be OK, but the forums ain't. I've emailed Wayne about it, no reply as yet. I may try phoning him tonight if everything is still FUBAR.

--DD

30 minutes ago I couldn't bring up the forums.

Now I can.
d7n7master
Me too. Today - Doohhh!!! Twice!! WazUp?
GWN7
Got another from mailto:blaster.sharon@gmail.com........

Hope I don't get messages from all 50.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.