Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCAM ALERT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
larryM
BEWARE - there is a guy using g-mail pseudonym Logan Hardy aka Eric Hardy aka ??? - <bighlogan77 at gmail> - with Kansas City address who surfing this forum for WTB ads and offering to sell you the parts - has enuf smarts to know various makes parts and how to make it seem like he is genuine & actually does have the parts to sell - even sends photos - uses "wife Karen" as money recipient

yes- i got bit this past week on a WTB camshaft post

I should'a known better -but i was really desperate to get that part headbang.gif

the gmail address is likely a burner

google the name(s) & you will see it on several makes boards
euro911
Did you use paypal? If so, open a case against him.
tweet
I don't know if this guy has any affiliation with your guy, but I am wary of him.
He responded, through my personal email, to two of my WTB's.

This is what made me wary:
1. He did not respond through the forum
2. His price was out of line with the forum, too high
3. Asked me to pay by Moneygram or W.U.
4. Said he had the parts, but could not upload the pictures
5. I was looking for 914 tools, but what he had were not 914 tools at all (wrong tools)
6. He made it a point to sign his email with "USA" under his name
7. His grammar was sorely lacking for someone from the US
8. His name is Anderson, but it is misspelled in his email address

John Anderson andersnautoshop@gmail.com

I hope I'm not misjudging someone, but I've been burned before.

mepstein
I got an email from him as well.

Hint - If they ask for western union or moneygram because their paypal is "down" it's a scam. ar15.gif

I asked him to send a picture in his hand of the part requested. No response - no surprise.
bulitt
What is his member name?
brant
This has to be the same guy that was on pelican

The name and gmail changes weekly.
But the consistencies were. Money gram. Personal email through the site and not personal messages or posting on the add

Last month he ripped me off for 200. I had a police case open in Arkansas and a female in Arkansas did pick up the money
tweet
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 28 2014, 08:41 AM) *

But the consistencies were. Money gram. Personal email through the site and not personal messages or posting on the add

Last month he ripped me off for 200. I had a police case open in Arkansas and a female in Arkansas did pick up the money

If the guy always uses gmail, you may be able to get gmail to help. Try to get as many of his fake names and gmail addresses from the forum members. One thing he can't change is his IP address. That can be traced back to a single source. maybe the gmail people can investigate as well. Their IT department can trace this back to a single source.
brant
He went by nick in AK
and also as a UK address

I didn't pursue Gmail... didn't know where to start
I think its safe to say this guy actually does know something about porsche parts
and he was taking photo's of old adds from a couple of years earlier to show as photo's of his "current" parts for sale he was scamming on.

here are 2 of the dozens of threads on pelican about this guy:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...wanted-ads.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...s-know-guy.html
sfrenck
Guy tried to do that to me on a Pelican WTB ad - he even emailed me a pic of the wheels I was looking for and tried to pawn them off as one's in his possession. When I asked for close-up pictures, his camera was suddenly broken....

Couple weeks later, I saw the pic he had sent when I trying to find some wheels via google.

Buyer Always Beware
tweet
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 28 2014, 11:11 AM) *

He went by nick in AK
and also as a UK address

I didn't pursue Gmail... didn't know where to start
I think its safe to say this guy actually does know something about porsche parts
and he was taking photo's of old adds from a couple of years earlier to show as photo's of his "current" parts for sale he was scamming on.

here are 2 of the dozens of threads on pelican about this guy:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...wanted-ads.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...s-know-guy.html

You would have to call Google and explain the circumstances. He is using Google to commit fraud. Tell them that they are exposing themselves to potential lawsuits. Google can shut him down, if they want to.
brant
I would imagine that the reason the asshat isn't using PM or posting on threads is to hide his IP address from the admins...

is there anyway that an admin can use his log in? to search out the IP
or if he is looking at ads without logging on that is hidden?

brant
tweet
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 28 2014, 12:56 PM) *

I would imagine that the reason the asshat isn't using PM or posting on threads is to hide his IP address from the admins...

is there anyway that an admin can use his log in? to search out the IP
or if he is looking at ads without logging on that is hidden?

brant

That is a good question for the admins. He is obviously on the forums, or else he would not have access to the WTB's.
1TRICK6
QUOTE(tweet @ Feb 28 2014, 06:35 AM) *

If the guy always uses gmail, you may be able to get gmail to help. Try to get as many of his fake names and gmail addresses from the forum members. One thing he can't change is his IP address. That can be traced back to a single source. maybe the gmail people can investigate as well. Their IT department can trace this back to a single source.

Smart crooks that are a little more savvy are using free Wi-Fi from outside parking lots of hotels, restaurants, Starbucks, etc, to do their online thievery. IP addresses will return to these business and not the culprit.

Hope he's a stupid crook and using his home internet service.
PanelBilly
I was embarrassed this week to question someone who had a low post count and wanted to sell me a part I needed. Sucks to wonder about folks, but on the other hand its a scary world out there.
mepstein

Brant - How did you pay him?
tweet
Okay, so the guy sent me another email with a picture of tools. Guess what, they are not 914 tools either. He is obviously guessing at what the parts may be. So I asked him what his forum name was. This is his response:

Dan,
I am not a memeber of the 914world forum as i am a visitor and just saw your ads and decided contacting you. Let me know and get back to me with your complete shipping address.
Thanks

So yes, he is admitting to trolling the classified threads, looking for suckers to hand over cold hard cash via money transfers.

He's gonna be waiting a long time for that shipping address. KMA.gif
euro911
I thought you had to be a member to view the classifieds confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(tweet @ Mar 1 2014, 04:48 PM) *

Okay, so the guy sent me another email with a picture of tools. Guess what, they are not 914 tools either. He is obviously guessing at what the parts may be. So I asked him what his forum name was. This is his response:

Dan,
I am not a memeber of the 914world forum as i am a visitor and just saw your ads and decided contacting you. Let me know and get back to me with your complete shipping address.
Thanks

So yes, he is admitting to trolling the classified threads, looking for suckers to hand over cold hard cash via money transfers.

He's gonna be waiting a long time for that shipping address. KMA.gif

tell him to rot.....
bulitt
You don't need to be a member to view the classifieds. However you do need to be a member to open another members profile and either send a PM or an EMail.
Amphicar770
In dealing with unknown sellers, I have found it useful to leverage known members of whatever forums you frequent.

I recently needed to purchase an expensive part for my amphicar. The seller claimed to be in xyz city. I simply asked if any forum members in or near that city would be willing to act as the middleman to pay the seller and pick up the parts. I had several volunteers.

If the seller is a fraud and you tell him you will pick up and pay cash, they will either vanish or start concocting crazy stories.

Mike
brant
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 28 2014, 07:41 PM) *

Brant - How did you pay him?

I feel like a complete idiot
I paid with money gram
he had a great story about back surgery and stuck in bed...
I will never do it again
and I was stupid to fall for it even once.

larryM
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 1 2014, 11:03 PM) *

I thought you had to be a member to view the classifieds confused24.gif

In my case - WTB was posted on a datsun site that DOES require member log-in to view ads -

which is why i let down my guard wacko.gif

too late - another site member googled the guy's name & came up with several other sites where the scam was listed

so it goes - just the price of an E-ticket at Disneyland
SirAndy
How did he contact you guys if he's not logged in?

Please post all his email addresses and usernames you know of ...
idea.gif
tweet
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 10 2014, 03:32 PM) *

idea.gif

He claims he is not a member. But, I think it is safe to assume he is lying, because he is a thief. My email was listed in my WTB for pictures and prices. But the point is, he has access here, and he is using it to his nefarious advatage.
Larmo63
The same thing happens(ed) on my antique bicycle forum (theCABE.com)

No dealing with shady character!!!!
euro911
It almost seems like new members need to be vetted ... or have a sponsor confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 10 2014, 09:45 PM) *

It almost seems like new members need to be vetted ... or have a sponsor confused24.gif

Everyone just needs to not be in such a rush to send someone money for a part. It's a 914. They built 120K of them. And paypal might not be perfect but it's not the most popular tool for scamers.
Mikey914
Great, now the Nigerians are into Porsche parts. rolleyes.gif

sbsix
Scammers are part of the internet I'm afraid. I work at a university that does a lot of research for the DOD and to say the least computer security and the firewall systems are pretty complex, but I still get scammers & spam coming through to me every day. You just have to question anything out of the ordinary and delete it before you're tempted to open it in your e-mail.
larryM

the WTB scammer(s) are at it again - see this thread hissyfit.gif

WTB Scammers at it again

here is how to report them

Report scammers using Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail ar15.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 10 2014, 12:32 PM) *

idea.gif

If you guys can't help me, i can't help you. That simple.

I asked for details, and i got nothing ...
dry.gif
larryM
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 7 2014, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 10 2014, 12:32 PM) *

idea.gif

If you guys can't help me, i can't help you. That simple.

I asked for details, and i got nothing ...
dry.gif

Andy - it's not something you can block;

they troll the WTB ads on every forum

the scammers (likely a boiler room operation and not a single "guy") use multiple gMail accounts, and others, and simply revolve them as fast as sites can block them
\
in the most recent case I posted just above; I followed the advice of the law site and Google's reporting instructions and sent them all the headers along with the message content

I have not heard from that particular scammer (Moses) again -

I hope that means Google killed that particular address, but it just means the scammer boiler room will create a few dozen more addresses and pseudonyms

LarryM

I only posted about this to warn others to be very alert -

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.