Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling:Dan Root
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
Dan, we need the follow up to the FOUR to SIX engine tin conversion. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

I have a donor rear stock FOUR tin piece.
Tell us how to modify it and include pics if you can.

this weekend could prove interesting... IPB Image

Thanks Dan!!
( you've saved me hundreds of dollars thus far ) IPB Image

KT
restore2seater
trekkor, sent you a couple PMs.
Kerrys914
I think a full size template would be cool. If anyone has a sketch I'll CAD that bad boy up and post the file link here.

I can even take several faxes and make one large template out of it.

Cheers
Kerrys914
Okay can someone measure the one of the side pices for me? I need the width of the straight edge (forward end) that connects to the front tin. IIRC it is around 4" and has 2 holes in it.

Thanks
nomore4
Kerry,
I've got 3 5/8 on my tin. I can trace a fax a copy if you like.

Joe
Kerrys914
Thanks.

What I am trying to do is to take a good photo of both rear pieces and scale it up to 1:1 I have a photo with other pieces in it. If I can scale it so the known pieces are 1:1 then everything should work.

I am very close and will finish it tonight. If anyone has the real thing I would love to bounce some measurments off ya for you to compare

If I cna get it close I should be able to make a template. I can plot the full size template out at work and drop some into the mail to whom ever?

Cheers and I'll keep you guys posted
Root_Werks
I had really planned on posting better pic's for you guys today, but got called into work. IPB Image I won't get home until later, but will try to take some pics and measurements for you. More to come... IPB Image
Dr Evil
More of the heat! I need heat!
Kerrys914
icon_bump.gif

Template Anyone unsure.gif
boxstr
I can send some six conversion tin piece templates when I get back to CAMP.
CCLINSIXTIN
Root_Werks
I have templates for the rear two pieces made out of plywood for the factory tin. I would be happy to copy a few off for some folks in paper or cardboard or something. confused24.gif

Check here to see how I modified the rear 914-4 tin instead. Much easier. Check the last couple of pages:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=2&t=15282&st=0

smile.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (boxstr @ Feb 3 2005, 09:26 AM)
I can send some six conversion tin piece templates when I get back to CAMP.
CCLINSIXTIN

The 2 side pieces are easy, the front, not that hard either. The two rear pieces are sort of tough. They have "steps" in them. One like 2" and the drivers side like 1" step that make it so you have to spot weld pieces together. I have made a couople from the 3D templates I have. Easier to just use the 914-4 rear tin, drill a couple of holes and be done. It fits great. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
DougC
I thought Dan was selling his tin in the resource area, I guess it's cheaper to do yourself but I would probably rather get Dan to make me up a set..which is what I was going to do. (I have enough projects on this car already).

Doug C
Root_Werks
QUOTE (DougC @ Feb 3 2005, 11:20 AM)
I thought Dan was selling his tin in the resource area, I guess it's cheaper to do yourself but I would probably rather get Dan to make me up a set..which is what I was going to do. (I have enough projects on this car already).

Doug C

I make and sell the front 3 pieces since I have really good jigs for them. Sold a few sets. I can make the rear pieces, but so far, the people who have ordered from me have opted to use the 914-4 rear piece. You flip it around, drill a few holes, make a couple of small bends and your done. Costs nothing. I think my 3 pieces are $100 and the 2 rears are an extra $50. PITA to make too. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif

Yep, I am in the resource section. Lotso people have seen my car and no said anything about the tin. Which means it looked good. If it looked like crap, I would have heard about it 100 times by now. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.