Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning vinyl and vehicle info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sherlock
So I repurchased my 72. VIN 4722905902. How do I get info on options, build sheet, etc. Also, the car came with spare beige early seats and back pad. All of them need (vinyl) cleaning before I send them to e-bay. Any tips on good cleaning? Thanks.
914bub
Repurchased as in owned it once before? Do tell.....

Oh and,....... welcome.png
Sherlock
QUOTE(914bub @ Feb 28 2014, 08:14 PM) *

Repurchased as in owned it once before? Do tell.....

Oh and,....... welcome.png

Yup. Owned it in early nineties and reworked most of body and put on nice repaint. Adriatic Blue L50E. Found it on ebay. Always missed that car.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

Welcome back! evilgrin.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(Sherlock @ Feb 28 2014, 08:09 PM) *

Also, the car came with spare beige early seats and back pad. All of them need (vinyl) cleaning before I send them to e-bay. Any tips on good cleaning? Thanks.

I made extensive use of P21S Body Wash for much of my cleaning before this year's concours in Traverse City.

For the seats, I used a toothbrush with a 50:50 dilution. Work the brush with a circular motion and let it set for awhile. The key is cleaning into the base of the little divots in the basket weave. Then rinse it out and dry again.

It's best to do only one seat. This way you can look at the dirty seat, pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Make sure you drag anyone within a 100 foot radius to admire your work.

Then, clean the other seat.

Oh, and make sure you post a couple of pics. That's a beautiful color!

Paul
wndsnd
Steam is the way to go.

John
r_towle

So I repurchased my 72. VIN 4722905902. How do I get info on options, build sheet, etc. Also, the car came with spare beige early seats and back pad. All of them need (vinyl) cleaning before I send them to e-bay. Any tips on good cleaning? Thanks.

contact PCNA and ask for a COA (Certificate of authenticity)

its the best information you can get on the car....not always accurate, but its a start.

rich
orthobiz
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 28 2014, 10:29 PM) *

Steam is the way to go.

John

Interesting but probably a great idea. I have a Black & Decker home steamer that worked well getting grease off chassis parts and under the wheel wells. With care, painted surfaces are OK with the treatment, so why not vinyl?

Paul
dlee6204
welcome.png

Where abouts in NC are you?
wndsnd
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 1 2014, 07:05 AM) *

Steam is the way to go.

John

Interesting but probably a great idea. I have a Black & Decker home steamer that worked well getting grease off chassis parts and under the wheel wells. With care, painted surfaces are OK with the treatment, so why not vinyl?

Paul

My steamer has many attachments, brushes, wands, and wiping pads, it is an amazing tool. Dialed in correctly it uses little water but gets the temp up around 300 degrees, and with the brush and a wipedown with microfibre towel, it does a fantastic job without chemicals.

Good Luck
John
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Mar 1 2014, 11:20 AM) *

Steam is the way to go.

John

Paul

My steamer has many attachments, brushes, wands, and wiping pads, it is an amazing tool. Dialed in correctly it uses little water but gets the temp up around 300 degrees, and with the brush and a wipedown with microfibre towel, it does a fantastic job without chemicals.

Good Luck
John

Post a pic please.
I see the upholstery guys using steam to get rid of wrinkles, but those machines look expensive.
I would love to have a steamer that could clean, steam for wrinkles, possible use as a steam generator for a steam box to bend wood....

But harbor freight cheap.
wndsnd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWAP4k-Tf9U

Try this link
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 1 2014, 11:32 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Mar 1 2014, 11:20 AM) *

Steam is the way to go.

John

Paul

Good Luck
John

Post a pic please.
I see the upholstery guys using steam to get rid of wrinkles, but those machines look expensive.
I would love to have a steamer that could clean, steam for wrinkles, possible use as a steam generator for a steam box to bend wood....

But harbor freight cheap.

Hey Rich,

I spent a little money on this but I had other reasons that made it worthwhile. I don't believe it would generate enough steam for bending wood. Before I did my 914 I restored a 50 year old planked sailboat, and I had to steam a lot of oak trim and some pine planks. This takes lots of hot wet steam. My solution was a 6" PVC Tube capped at the ends, and I fed it with a boiler made from a turkey boiler with propane feed. I drilled a series of holes in the PVC Pipe and I covered with duct tape. If I was getting too much steam I removed the tape to vent the pipe. Worked well unless I overdid it and the tube finally sagged . By then I was done anyway.
I will post in sandbox so as not to hijack this thread.

John
Sherlock
T
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 28 2014, 11:32 PM) *

contact PCNA and ask for a COA (Certificate of authenticity)

its the best information you can get on the car....not always accurate, but its a start.

rich

aktion035.gif Thanks, everyone. I can see this will be a great site for answers to the many questions I'll come across. BTW, I'm in Pittsboro, NC. Pix to come. Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.