Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 2005 Exodus to the SOUTH
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
boxstr
Okay I guess we might as well get the Pacific Northwest and all areas North of Calif. on standby for the exodus to WCC 2005 in Camarillo Calif. For those who are going and would like to caravan down now is the time to start getting a plan together.
Jim Chambers and I drove down last year and it made thing a little more relaxing, knowing that if you had some trouble you weren't alone IPB Image . And then driving back we added Kevin RHODYGUY Powers to the mix. So this year if you are driving down and want to caravan with others who have the same disease, love of 914s, then speak up. Lets get together for the WCC 2005.
Mapquest shows that from Lake Oswego, Oregon it is a 14 hour drive down I5 to Camarillo. This is pretty straight forward untilk you get down near Ventura the 405,205, and 999, after you take the 584 onramp, merge with the 203 and then turn at the 987, heading North you will ....anyway you get the idea.
So speak up. All of thsoe who are coming from the NORTHWEST.
CCLINMAPQUEST
rhodyguy
iirc jim wanted to stop in redding after we left martin and al(one l)isons house. i pushed for weed IPB Image .can you guys leave the wed before? factor in the extra 2 1/2 hrs we in washington will put in, makes for a 20 hour day not counting gas and pee breaks. i was shooting for stockton, 764 miles and then it'sa short run of 366 IPB Image . if we take 126 off I-5 we dont's have to mess with the los angles basin. guess i picked the wrong year to quit doing meth.

kevin
boxstr
Kevin Always open to anyones suggestions and I am not in any hurry. At least not until I get in the car and turn the key.
There are some people who are coming down from Canada, they want to stop at CAMP, so will try to see what ther schedule is going to be, also, Bruce and Gary and, Who from up your way is driving down, Dan,Dino,Rich??
CCLINFROMTHEREALNORTHWEST
rhodyguy
have the visitors bring sleeping bags and they can camp at the "camp". even if we do a direct drive we'll get to camarillo early in the am and i my guess is we won't be able to check in til noon. no matter what shakes out for everyone else, i'll be leaving wed the 20th. i'll be there in time for the social hour on thurs and fresh as a daisy on fri. there will be no excuses for those that can't make the drive to portland on 06.

kevin
boxstr
Well this thread got a few lookers but only two replies and one was mine. So I guess those of you driving down from the PNW will be on your own. See ya there.
Kevin Don't commit PDX to 06.
CCLINWCC2005
Korijo
we're up for it. still gotta "remind" the wifey...
Howard
Guys, get with the program. IPB Image Go to WCC2005 thread and read page one. Link is there for you Nanooks!
boxstr
Howard what link, I don't see one for the Pacific Northwest.
CCLINLINKME
Howard
Assumed you NW guys were coming through CA to get here, so figured you would meet up with NorCal ruffians IPB Image

You want this thread to be another link? If so, no problemo. You can have BC, WA and OR links too if you want.
Allan
Here ya go?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=23054&hl=
boxstr
The Norcal folks are going down 101, I think that most of the PNWs are for I5??I guess we will see what shakes out nearer the date we need to leave.
Howard have you sent out sponsor info and can I PAYPAL you the funds?
CCLINWCC@))%
morph
im going down I-5, no 101 for me to long of a trip. IPB Image
Howard
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 7 2005, 08:29 PM)
The Norcal folks are going down 101, I think that most of the PNWs are for I5??I guess we will see what shakes out nearer the date we need to leave.
Howard have you sent out sponsor info and can I PAYPAL you the funds?
CCLINWCC@))%

Letters will go out next week, but if you want to see the plan now, go to the sponsor thread at the top of BBS. No paypal yet, but may have to set it up.

On the route, IMHO, leaving Bay area 101 is a close choice to 5 for going to Camarillo. Really depends on what time of day you arrive in SoCal. Night=5 to 405 to 118 to 23 to 101. Day 5 to 126 to 101. PM rush hour all 101.
boxstr
Kevin, Jim and I are leaving early 4/21 Thursday, heading down to Sacramento then early 4/22 Friday and into Camarillo.We should be there by 4-5pm. Your welcome as well as anyone else.
CCLINWCC2005
ablose58
I am following Kevin ,so whatever he decides is fine by me. IPB Image
rhodyguy
depends on how early, "early" is IPB Image .

kevin
boxstr
Jim mentioned 6 am probably at the Willsonville rest stop, aka the pic above. Easy off and on.
CCLINWCC2005
rhodyguy
the site of multiple alt belt installs. we'll see. wilsonville @ 6 makes for a 3:30 departure from my place. IPB Image .

kevin
boxstr
Hey we are flexible, we were hopeing to make Sacramento the first night at least.
CCLINWCC2005
Porsche Rescue
Just did a "Mapquest", Wilsonville, OR to Sacramento, CA. 563 miles, 8.5 hours. That's average of 66 mph which is easily doable on I-5 if it's dry. Gotta add food and potty stops (old guys stop often).
Sac. to Camarillo is 406 miles, 6 hours driving time.

We wouldn't have to split it that way, given Kevin will have 2.5 hours head start. We could do less on 21st and more on 22nd. However, if we want to make the 4:30 pm social it would be easy from Sacramento if we left as late as 8:30.

Could leave Wilsonville at 7 am, give Kevin a little more sleep (more traffic on I-5 Bridge by that time) and make Sac. easily by 6 or 7, maybe earlier, depending on how many stops for how long.

Another option, Kevin could come to Portland Wed. evening and bunk at my place. Or maybe some other northerners (Canadians?) might join up and share a motel here. As I think about it, I could bunk at least two, maybe more, if guys bring a sleeping bag (wife doesn't know I'm making the offer, so at least need to save on laundry!).

Trip home is going to take some thought. If we wait until after the 4:30 "farewell" on Sunday it will be pretty grueling trip to make it back to PDX in two days.
rhodyguy
i'm working with al blose on this too. we works nights and it would be a tough go for him driving all day after working. no matter which day we go i was planning on being thru the greater p-land area before rush hour. last time i did 205 in the am i got caught in the mess. stockton is a bit longer drive the first day, but would put us south of sac morning traffic. we'll sort this out to everyone's liking. craig drives pretty damn fast, even while towing the latest swap. we need some input from the canadians and the rest of the locals so we can plan this adventure.
boxstr
What about staying down here Wednesday night??That way we would all be on the same schedule.
CCLINWCC2005
rhodyguy
als coming by tomorrow morning and we're going to look at the calendar. that could be very doable. it would give me a chance to put those seats in IPB Image . redding the first night on the way home? you know me jim, never pass a reststop unless you're VERY sure. morphen and some of the other norcalers might want to join us.

kevin
boxstr
Last day there is supposed to go until 4:30pm some kind of Hootenany afterwards, fine if you live in the area, no thank you.
So keep that in mind. We can set our own depart time.
CCLINWCC2005
rhodyguy
an extra night in lancaster and tell sulu warp 9 on tues? al has never seen any of ore or cal other than from one of those little jet windows.

kevin
Howard
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 15 2005, 11:06 AM)
an extra night in lancaster and tell sulu warp 9 on tues? al has never seen any of ore or cal other than from one of those little jet windows.

kevin

No hoot planned, just adios stuff. But I'm gonna spend Monday night in Lancaster in attempt to recover from all this fun IPB Image

Hell, spend the whole week. Golf tournament? Vegas? This is my vacation this year!
rhodyguy
howard knows how to bargan for chinese food.

kevin
Porsche Rescue
Lancaster is maybe 50 miles closer to Portland than Camarillo but still, near 1000 miles in one day/night in a 914 is a bit much. We need 5.5 hours (365 miles) driving time for Sacramento and 8 for Redding. Could probably make Sacramento by the late news Monday, even leaving at 4:30. Should be light until 8 or so by then.
boxstr
Hey Kevin, over here.
CCLINDAMPCAMP
boxstr
I spoke this morning to One of the Canadian 914 people that weill be coming down to WCC. Daniel Fontaine. They are planning to be here on Wednesday and leave on Thursday am. So it looks like this PNW Caravan is slowly coming together.

If you are planning to come down and Caravan can you post here so we can get an idea of how many people to expect. Thanks
Porsche Rescue
So, the plan is to tour Camp 914 on Wed. 20th; party hearty on Wed. night; head south on I-5 early Thursday am; go a bit more than halfway and make Camarillo late afternoon on Friday? Or have I missed something while chasing this topic around?
mike_the_man
It sounds like Dan has everything worked out for us. We should be at CAMP914 Wed night. After that, we'll just follow you guys, since we have no idea where we're going. Just along for the ride. So, I wonder how long it will take to make it from Regina to Portland. Gonna have to stock up on the RedBull! biggrin.gif

Porsche Rescue
Mapquest says 1121 miles, 20.5 hours, driving time only. Add for sleep, eat, etc. Your speed may vary!
boxstr
Jim you are right on track.
CCLINMAPME
boxstr
Sean will you please add "I5" to the heading so that those of us traveling from the North West know which route we are taking. Thanks
Craig C. Laughlin
neo914-6
Craig,

You may want to PM or email Sean, unless you know if he actually reads every thread...
rhodyguy
which way are you canadians going? trans-canada to b.c., then south, or ?

k
mike_the_man
I think we'll probably head down the transcanada to BC, then south. We haven't really discussed it yet though. We'll be figuring out our route in the next week or so, I imagine.

rhodyguy
with that route you'll be driving within 5 miles of my place. you should consider yourselves invited to drop in for a cup of coffee or an open garage if needed. if we're ready perhaps al and i might join you for the run to portland. i'm sure we'll know what the plan is by wed afternoon, but nothing concrete till then. i have a few tips when you cross to the states too. forget the main crossing at blaine. jump across at sumas, wa.

k
rhodyguy
rich, you will have to leave your place at 3:30am to make portland early enough on thurs. so you have to go to bed at 9pm. what's the difference if you leave for portland at 9pm? are you going to drive home from seattle to martha lake at 5:30pm after work? you see where i'm going with this. wed after work you're half way to tacoma.

k
914werke
What you suggesting I leave from work Wed and fight rush Hr out of Seattle to Get to and camp in Portland Overnight? screwy.gif
Porsche Rescue
Damn, I couldn't find this thread so I posted on the "wrong" nw thread!

Oh well, once more:

Used mapquest for the following times/distances:

Wilsonville, OR (just south of Portland on I-5, good rendevous spot) to Sacramento is 563 miles, 8.5 hours drive time. With stops figure at least 10 hours. We could leave at 8am and make Sacramento by about 6. Could wait a little later for the Puget area folks and arrive later.

Sac. to Camarillo is 406 miles/6 hours. Leave Sacramento at 8am and make destination abut 3. Good to avoid freeways in So.Cal after 3.

93 miles to Camarillo on Sunday. That puts us 365 miles/5.5 hours back to Sacramento. If we stay for festivities we won't leave until 5pm. Probably want to stop short of Sacramento and make a harder push north on Tuesday.

This is not a scenic tour. Those who want that need to allow one more day for the drive south.
rhodyguy
just ideas. i'd like to push for the southern side of stockton. i imagine commute hours are crappy in sac too. so we have to time that. a little more grief on the first long day, but a nice jump on cutting the drive time day 2. l

k
Porsche Rescue
Your butt/legs may be thinking differently after 700 miles, Tacoma/Sacramento. I have been through Sacramento on I-5 many times during evening rush and it is not bad at all. Since I don't think reservations will be made, we can probably just go until we think it's time to stop. I'm guessing that Sacramento will be enough.
Mueller
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Mar 21 2005, 01:19 PM)
Your butt/legs may be thinking differently after 700 miles, Tacoma/Sacramento. I have been through Sacramento on I-5 many times during evening rush and it is not bad at all. Since I don't think reservations will be made, we can probably just go until we think it's time to stop.  I'm guessing that Sacramento will be enough.

So what day do think you'll be in Sac town??

I'm 45 minutes West....still not sure when us Nor-Cal people are heading on down there.....????
rhodyguy
my guesstimate would be 3-5 on thursday. dependent on the bladder factor.

k
mike_the_man
I'm glad I'm not going to be the only one with a small bladder on this trip!

I'm starting to get excited about this trip! I think it will be a blast. beerchug.gif

rhodyguy
it's really fun. 3 cars in the middle of no where get looks. a couple from canada will make a clutch of 7 and folks will be all looking hard. we can make the gas jockeys in oregon sweat. you CAN NOT legally pump your own gas. will pat(?) the attorney from seattle be joining us? i saw he was signed up.

k
Porsche Rescue
Kevin, you mean Brad Kogut (?) with the silver car I think. Craig says he is coming.

Mike, I think Kevin is optimistic. Sacramento by 6 will be earliest in my opinion. Check the other "northwest" thread. Jeff Bowlsby is talking of a merging of the teens on Friday am somewhere down there for a drive on 101 instead of 5. That would be the best plan in my opinion.
rhodyguy
it may only take 58 minutes past the hour of 5pm. i'm an optimist. if we limit our selves to one cup of coffee in the am. brad, right. if everyone is there at 7 we'll be across the california state line in no time.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.