Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Header coating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
This question came up amongst the local gang. I was under the impression that there is a difference between ceramic coating and JetHot coating. It was pointed out that JetHot is "metallic-ceramic" coating and as such there isn't much difference.

Anybody know for sure?
seanery
My headers and megaphones are jet hot coated with the sterling process.

They don't tell you what's in there. I just scoured their web page looking for info.
Gint
Yeah I know. That's why I'm probing for info here.
Mueller
JetHot is just a name of a ceramic-coating business.....

They might have some propriety mixes and processes, but all in all, it's a marketing name...similar to Kleenex
(generic, but name brand at the same time)
seanery
I just sent them the following email:

My friends and I are trying to figure which process to use and why one
would be better than the other. Is your product a metaliic-ceramic coating?
How does it work?

We'll see what kind of response we get.
Gint
Thanks Sean

Het Mike,

What is the cost difference between the local shop you have been talking about and JetHot? Any idea?
TimT
I have the headers on my 911 jethot coated. They definately are cooler with the coating (I did before/after temp check with my infrared pyrometer)

I am going to have the tubes on my 914 done bySwaintech

Unfortunatley most of these coatings companies dont offer any real data on there websites. Im cursed by being an engineer fighting19.gif and need to see numbers and proof that things work.

I know all the big money race teams use coatings, so they must be worth something
Gint
I crewed for a couple of guys at the POC Pueblo race a couple of years ago. James had a blue ceramic coating on the headers of his 911. Minutes after coming off the track you could put your hands on the headers. I don't know what the coating was specifically. I've been curious as to the differences ever since. But not enough to really dig. So I thought I would ask the 914club brain trust.
seanery
Jet hot has a blue coating IIRC.
Mueller
All of the coating compainies now offer colors and coatings with aluminum in them (so they can be polished and get a nice luster)

I think any of the companies doing ceramic coating will be fine, prep work will be the key difference.

Most people know of JetHot since they had been lucky enough to be used in the national magazine articles.

If you look at Jet-Hots web site, they do not compare their product with any other ceramic coating companies...that tells you that for the most part, there is no difference.
seanery
from Jet-Hot:

Perhaps the best way to do this is send you our information package. We have an 8 minute video and full color brochure that I can send you if you want to send me your mailing address. Simply put, our coating is better than a ceramic because of the aluminum content – yes, ours is metallic ceramic. However, we make our coating on site, so it’s not a generic coating that would be used for everything under the sun. Ours is formulated for automotive use. It makes is very flexible, so you won’t chip or scratch it easily, and it still keeps the heat down 30-50%. Not to mention that our coating is one of the few that is applied fully inside as well as out. Most are just sprayed down the tube line of sight. Hope that helps

Todd Beiswenger

800-432-3379 x112
Gint
Thanks Sean
campbellcj
I just had JetHot (Tempe AZ plant) do my six headers. They got me the info packet in about a day, and the headers came out great. Zero hassle too. I had GPR ship directly to JetHot and about a week after I placed the GPR order, the coated headers were at my door.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.