Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any members in Des Moine? may need
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
As some of you know Larry (sparetimetoys) is working on a 928 conversion. I have a meeting in Des Moine from 1/31 to 2/3. Larry was planning on driving up Minnesota to pick up his conversion parts and have his transaxle case modified. We discussed the possibility of meeting in Des Moine and save him a bunch of driving. But we still need to modify the transaxle. I'm looking for a place we can use to make a bunch of noise and a big pile of aluminum shavings. No special tools required. Just an operating table or a usable work bench. I'll bring what we need.
rick 918-S
IPB Image IPB Image
rezron
I've got a new heated garage in Mason City. I know it's not DesMoines but it's halfway between the Twin cities and DesMoines.

rezron
rick 918-S
Thanks rezron. I'm going to be stuck in claims training all day so I will only be able to sneak away at night. Mason City may be too far. But in a pinch we may call on you. If I can't find a member DesMoine maybe we can locate a Porsche repair shop or something. I would hate to have to run a router in my hotel room. I don't think the cleaning crew would appreciate that one!
Pam
Rick - I'm in Des Moines but my garage isn't very work friendly (I don't know how I accumulate all the stuff that gets in there). There is a guy Drew Gangle out in DeSoto Iowa about 15 miles from town (closer if you are going to be on the west side) who owns Bruch Motowerk and has big shop. Drew is a nice guy - I think he is a minister and repairs Porsches. He may be willing to loan you out some space during the evening.....tell him Pam and Lawrence sent you. His number is (515) 834-1416. I haven't talked to him in a year or so but I assume he's still in business.
-Pam
Rusty
I was going to suggest Drew... he's a really good guy.

He's got a nice little shop.

-Lawrence
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Pam @ Jan 8 2005, 05:44 AM)
Rick - I'm in Des Moines but my garage isn't very work friendly (I don't know how I accumulate all the stuff that gets in there).  There is a guy Drew Gangle out in DeSoto Iowa about 15 miles from town (closer if you are going to be on the west side) who owns Bruch Motowerk and has big shop. Drew is a nice guy - I think he is a minister and repairs Porsches.  He may be willing to loan you out some space during the evening.....tell him Pam and Lawrence sent you.  His number is (515) 834-1416.  I haven't talked to him in a year or so but I assume he's still in business.
-Pam

Thanks Pam and Lawrence, I've been out of town all day. I'll call your friend on Monday. I'm going to be staying at the Fort Des Moine Hotel. Our office is just next to it. The new Allied building.

It has to be in the evening after my training. Were shooting a small target with little flexability. It won't take us long. But it's leaves shavings of aluminum we'll need to sweep up or shop up.

Thanks again, You guys are the best. IPB Image
Deano
Rick,
I'd let you use mine, but we have a newborn at home. I agree with Pam and Lawrence. Drew would be a good choice. He is only at his shop on Mon. Wed. and Fri. He is very neat and clean, might be hesitant about allowing a stranger in if he's not present. Still, worth a shot. I'll brainstorm a bit and see if I can come up with a plan B.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Deano @ Jan 9 2005, 11:27 AM)
Rick,
I'd let you use mine, but we have a newborn at home. I agree with Pam and Lawrence. Drew would be a good choice. He is only at his shop on Mon. Wed. and Fri. He is very neat and clean, might be hesitant about allowing a stranger in if he's not present. Still, worth a shot. I'll brainstorm a bit and see if I can come up with a plan B.

Thanks Deano, I spoke with Drew today. He was very helpful. He agreed to meet with us on Wednesday late in the evening. Thanks again all. IPB Image IPB Image Now Larry and I will have to get our schedules worked out.
spare time toys
I just need to rework a day trade and this will workout great. Dad may ride along to get some fresh air and quality napping time on the road like on our west coast run IPB Image I pm'd you the tracking numbers for the mount bar. Im making a liner for the Jetta trunk so I dont mess it up and Ill be ready to fly. Are you heading home Wed. after the cut or Thur. AM?
bondo
Curiosity has gotten me.. what exactly are you doing to this poor transaxle? I imagine it must have something to do with shortening it?
spare time toys
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 10 2005, 06:02 PM)
Curiosity has gotten me.. what exactly are you doing to this poor transaxle? I imagine it must have something to do with shortening it?

IPB Image Yep IPB Image
bondo
Wow, how do you do it with tools you can bring? First thing that comes to mind is a very large mill.. pretty sure Rick isn't bringing one of those IPB Image
rick 918-S
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jan 10 2005, 02:59 PM)
I just need to rework a day trade and this will workout great. Dad may ride along to get some fresh air and quality napping time on the road like on our west coast run IPB Image I pm'd you the tracking numbers for the mount bar. Im making a liner for the Jetta trunk so I dont mess it up and Ill be ready to fly. Are you heading home Wed. after the cut or Thur. AM?

I pm'ed you. Arriving Sunday night, leaving Thursday.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 10 2005, 03:31 PM)
Wow, how do you do it with tools you can bring? First thing that comes to mind is a very large mill.. pretty sure Rick isn't bringing one of those IPB Image

It's amazing what you can do with a broom stick and a ball of string... IPB Image Seriously, all it takes a router. You can make a big production out of anything or you can figure out a way to make things work on a budget. These are 914's people. We make things work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.