Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper guards remove... forever?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hine62
Any problems with inspection if I remove the bumper guards? I'd like to remove them and plug the holes.

hine62
76-914
Not in CA but I can't speak to NY's DMV reg's. I sold mine. Lots of people want those ugly ass pasties. They look like a couple of warts to me.
saigon71
Took mine off and welded the holes shut last year. No problems passing inspection.

I can't imagine it causing you any grief with the DMV, unless New York is a lot stricter than Pennsylvania.
914itis
No problem here in NY. I took them off.
TheCabinetmaker
Who's gonna know? They don't even know what kind of car it is.
Spoke
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 5 2014, 06:51 PM) *

Who's gonna know? They don't even know what kind of car it is.

It's a Fiat, isn't it? confused24.gif
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Hine62 @ Mar 5 2014, 01:20 PM) *

Any problems with inspection if I remove the bumper guards? I'd like to remove them and plug the holes.

hine62

Remove. Plug holes (temporary). Pass inspection. Plug holes permanently.
MikeInMunich
Resurrecting an old thread. I have a '73 in TX and it has these 'tits' on the front and rear. I thought they only came on 1974 bumpers. ??

So when you take them off, what's the typical way to plug the holes?

Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Feb 8 2015, 01:18 PM) *
what's the typical way to plug the holes?

A plug ... shades.gif

PS: Front tits were '73 and '74, rear tits were '74 only.
Porsche930dude
No problem. Im in Vestal. The only thing you need is a bumper. it can be a 2x4 for all they care. You just cant have exposed frame rails. I think you do need a plate light for inspection
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 8 2015, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Feb 8 2015, 01:18 PM) *
what's the typical way to plug the holes?

A plug ... shades.gif

PS: Front tits were '73 and '74, rear tits were '74 only.

Thanks Sir Andy,

so if I don't like these '74 things on the rear of my '73 and I take them off, I'm left with holes. So what does one typically do with these holes? I reckon "fill" is the word you're looking for? But the bumper is chrome. Am I better off just buying a new (used) bumper and selling this one?
Grelber
For a temporary fix, I went to Home Depot and got some chrome plumbing caps for sinks. They come in all sizes, and just snap in.
SirAndy
QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Feb 8 2015, 02:56 PM) *
I reckon "fill" is the word you're looking for?

Nope, "plug" is the word i was looking for.

Go to your local hardware store and get chrome plugs that are large enough to cover the holes.
If you can't find any that fit the hole perfectly, get the ones with a threaded stud and simply clamp them on using a large washer and nut in the back.
shades.gif

IPB Image
Cal
You could always replace them with smaller bumper guards.
Here's an interesting thread....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=112220&hl=
Porsche930dude
you can buy a small piece of chrome vinal wrap and cover the holes that way. Itll hide them better than any thing else im sure. just need to back it up with something
Big Len
They saved me a dented bumper in the fall. Some smuck rolled into me at a light while I was making a right on red. I got out, called him an asshole, but he hit the rear tit so not a mark. Would have had a dent without it. But yeah, not the greatest lookin things.
ripper911
I like them. ph34r.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.