Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 AC Unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mohnliting
Here's another one I'm wondering about. How hard is it to fit something like this in my 1972 914? Is it worth the effort and cost? It does get hot here in Northern California. Will my 1.7 handle the compressor?
914 Air Conditioning on eBay
Again, any input is appreciated.
jet1
I don't know much about AC, but I have read some good posts here. Do a search and see what you can find.
skline
Well, they are members here, you could send them a PM and ask them about it. If it was designed for a 914 then yours will handle it. The kit was made to bolt into any 914 as they were all pretty much the same unless it was a 6. If you want air, then go for it.
DJsRepS
Hope you have a strong 2.0 A/C's suck alot of HP. Do you live in FLA or what? It looks like alot of work to me.
Kerrys914
A/C does suck some HP but there are some things you can do to help this.

- Master On/OFF in easy reach
- WOT switch
- Only use teh A/C when you really need it and not when you are AX'n IPB Image

Bets of luck
TheCabinetmaker
I drove a 1.7 with AC for 20 years. It handled it just fine.
SLITS
The evaporator (thingy that bolts under the dash), condenser (thingy that sits in the trunk floor)and wiring harness are the three most important items.

I didn't see the drive pulley that must be mounted behind the fan to drive the compressor.

You would need to purchase a new filter/dryer, hoses and rebuilt a/c compressor.

The type of a/c compressor fitted is the old "York" standup, is inefficient and is R12 (very expensive Freon in CA..like $50 per pound and you will need about 3 lbs)

It would be better to replace it with a Sanden SD508 Rotary compressor and have the mounting bracket fabricated. This would also change the refigerant to R134A, which is considerably cheaper.

Go For It
rhodyguy
you have to do some serious cutting and drilling to put in an ac unit. frt trunk floor, holes in wheelwells, holes in the sill supports on the pass side, holes in the rear inner wheelwell, cut/notch the engine shelve, cut/notch the engine tin, plus a bit more. IPB Image , too much.

kevin
Air_Cooled_Nut
Today's compressors barely use any engine hp. The 914 cabin is tiny so it wont need a monster compressor.
Kerrys914
I have the pulley from my 2.0L.. I have a six and don't need it.. Drop me line if you need one..

Cheers
morph
the drive pully is in the photo.the one that goes behind the fan. we was looking into a adapting a new ac system to the car. i have a geo metro that has a 1.3l in it and it has ac that will freeze youre balls off.and it barely affects the power(what little power it does have) IPB Image
james
Kerrys914
Yep is there..

FYI, So far that is a great price for that A/C kit.
Air_Cooled_Nut
It's located in Amity...I wonder if that's here in Oregon? I've been wanting an A/C unit for my 914 (for the day she does become a driver IPB Image ) and that would be a nice li'l drive for me to pick up.

Oh well.
morph
yes, its in Oregon, were out by mcminnville
greg.treadway
A new single condensor unit should pull less than two HP. Here's a picture of a dual unit.

IPB Image
SLITS
Greg,

Just curious why you call that a "dual" unit. It is merely an SD508 series with a poly groove drive pulley (serpentine belt instead of single groove pulley)
Kerrys914
I am not Greg..nor do I play one on TV

But he is refering to the Condenser NOT the Compressor. To provide better cooling one method used is a larger or second condenser.

It still uses a single compressor

Cheers
greg.treadway
Thanks Kerry. That is exactly what I meant. I should have been more clear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.