Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Negative Side Stripes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Johny Blackstain
I was never happy with the negative phoenix red (orange) side stripes placed on my LE after the repaint- just a 1/2 ass job & 1/2 ass stickers (sorry George/AA but you earned that one), especially on such a nice repaint. Peeled em off & got myself 2 sets, 1 from AA & another off of evilbay. They both suck & & are not spaced right/scaled right or cut right. I know what they're supposed to look like, having been around the car for 40 yrs now & was going to take advantage of the warm weather this weekend to put them on. Well, that idea went up in smoke like the money I spent on the 2 sets I have lying around.

Pics below are before & after; right now she's bare white. Does anyone know a good source for these stripes?
Johny Blackstain
my current situation-
JeffBowlsby
I have the LE side stripes available for both the Creamsicle and Bumblebee Albert, excellent color match and full length so they go into the wheel wells.

But...what's the problem with the set you look to be installing?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 9 2014, 04:56 PM) *

I have the LE side stripes available for both the Creamsicle and Bumblebee Albert, excellent color match and full length so they go into the wheel wells.

Ah Jeff, it figures you'd have the answers smile.gif Plain & simple the AA set is too short & the scale is off- note above, how fat the vertical line is on the "E". The other set I got, from evilbay, is not cut right- when you line up the H over the back door seam on the drivers side, or the O on the passenger side, it leaves me short of the wheel well. As you know, the name is supposed to be centered between the wheel wells & wrap all the way into them. No way of doing this with the sets I have & the scripts are not in scale with each other so no way to mix & match either. Pic below is/was the passenger side- O is not where it belongs, end of the H is too fat & again so is the vertical line on the E.

I have all the right tools, watched videos on you tube on how to do it, even figured out a simple cheat on measuring (supposed to be 3/4" high off the bottom seam & just used 3/4" green tape instead of marking). Looks like I'll be getting a set from you "Dr. LE" biggrin.gif Let me know how to go about getting a proper set from you.
76-914
A member here makes them. I think it's JoeBob or something along those lines. You'll forget his name too once you see his smoking hot avatar. Do a search here.
r_towle
Www.nbdgraphics.com

This is mikez, a porsche guy, former 914 owner, and many know him.

I suspect he can mess with the scale to help you out.

I thought the correct sticker fit the entire name on the door, which is the way I like to see it.
dw914six
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 9 2014, 01:15 PM) *

A Jeff, it figures you'd have the answers smile.gif Plain & simple the AA set is too short & the scale is off- note how fat the vertical line is on the "E". The other set I got, from evilbay, is not cut right- when you line up the H over the back door seam on the drivers side, or the O on the passenger side, it leaves me short of the wheel well. As you know, the name is supposed to be centered between the wheel wells & wrap all the way into them. No way of doing this with the sets I have & the scripts are not in scale with each other so no way to mix & match either. Pic below is/was the passenger side- O is not where it belongs, end of the H is too fat & again so is the vertical line on the E.

I have all the right tools, watched videos on you tube on how to do it, even figured out a simple cheat on measuring (supposed to be 3/4" high off the bottom seam & just used 3/4" green tape instead of marking). Looks like I'll be getting a set from you "Dr. LE" biggrin.gif Let me know how to go about getting a proper set from you.

dry.gif Seems with all of the talent in the 914World community, there would be a simple stencil to paint on the Porsche lettering versus a sticker.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(dw914six @ Mar 9 2014, 05:39 PM) *

Seems with all of the talent in the 914World community, there would be a simple stencil to paint on the Porsche lettering versus a sticker.

Great idea however that would not be OEM & the CW's would knock you for it. This car only has 47k mi. on it & is pretty damned near pristine. I always wanted to hot rod her but when I found out exactly what an LE is I realized there was no messing around with this car, which is why I got my six that was already seriously messed with- flares, repainted black, 2.7 engine, side shift, etc...
dw914six
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 9 2014, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914six @ Mar 9 2014, 05:39 PM) *

Seems with all of the talent in the 914World community, there would be a simple stencil to paint on the Porsche lettering versus a sticker.

Great idea however that would not be OEM & the CW's would knock you for it. This car only has 47k mi. on it & is pretty damned near pristine. I always wanted to hot rod her but when I found out exactly what an LE is I realized there was no messing around with this car, which is why I got my six that was already seriously messed with- flares, repainted black, 2.7 engine, side shift, etc...

beerchug.gif that's the best scenario for a Porsche enthusiast; a driver to do everything you wanted your car to be and put as many miles as you can having fun with it, and then a car like your LE that you work to keep as original to the Porsche standard as possible.
914werke
I had a set for the Creamsicle that happened to be in the Car, in a pkg. when it burned to the ground. sad.gif
Id saved them (or what was left of them) all these yrs believing that they may have been OE parts.
Recently when Wayne (Arcadeforever) popped up, I dug them out and sent them to him in hopes he could use them to accurately reproduce sets for both our LE cars & for general application.
I'm not sure how far along he is in this process but perhaps he'll see the thread & chime in.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 9 2014, 07:18 PM) *

I had a set for the Creamsicle that happened to be in the Car, in a pkg. when it burned to the ground. sad.gif
Id saved them (or what was left of them) all these yrs believing that they may have been OE parts.
Recently when Wayne (Arcadeforever) popped up, I dug them out and sent them to him in hopes he could use them to accurately reproduce sets for both our LE cars & for general application.
I'm not sure how far along he is in this process but perhaps he'll see the thread & chime in.

Rich- very sorry to hear about your creamsicle... really bites when a Porsche burns & hurts even more, for me, when it's an LE. Just wondering what the status of your resto is? Creamsicles are the less popular version of the LE & I love to see them brought back to their original glory smile.gif
arcadeforever
Sorry to hear about the bad experience getting stripes. I am just finalizing details on cutting a few sets with a few of the members offline, I have a cutter, and have been cutting for about 7 years, but I'm not shipping any until I get it exactly as they should be. I am still trying to find the RIGHT color vinyl, I have been looking at these letters until my eyes go buggy over the last month.

sad.gif Unless someone has a good reputation for doing this particular stripe, IMO, its ok to ask for a .jpg of the stripe which will be EXACTLY what they are going to look like when they are cut (full sized or close to it (or at least smaller but high resolution so you can zoom in)) that way there are NO surprises, and if you see something that doesn't look right, it can be changed before its cut. Especially when you are spending good money on stripes/graphics and even MORE especially when they are going on YOUR car and you dont want to be pulling them off, also you will want to know what kind of vinyl they are using.

I didnt really mean for this to turn out to be a lecture to buying vinyl, lol, but Im pretty passionate about it and also because I dont like to waste money doing stripes that are wrong so I wont send stripes unless my customer approves them.

I use vinyl from a great German company named Oracal and the vinyl series I use for these stripes is 751 which is pretty much the top of the line from them, the only other brand I would buy is 3M.

The main thing you want to look for when getting stripes (aside from the design being right) is that the vinyl is Cast vinyl not Calendared. While Oracal 651 is a GREAT vinyl, and its great for window decals and a few other jobs, it is calendared and has been known to have tendancy to expand and contract slightly over a number of years and even crack depending on the shape and width and complexity of lines in your design, because the way that the vinyl, itself is made. Orcal 751 is a cast type and is more than double the price of 651 because it tends to stay exactly the way it is cut.

stepping off of the vinyl soapbox
arcadeforever
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 9 2014, 06:18 PM) *

thanks Rich smile.gif I must have been typing my reply when you wrote this, lol
arcadeforever
QUOTE(dw914six @ Mar 9 2014, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 9 2014, 01:15 PM) *

A Jeff, it figures you'd have the answers smile.gif Plain & simple the AA set is too short & the scale is off- note how fat the vertical line is on the "E". The other set I got, from evilbay, is not cut right- when you line up the H over the back door seam on the drivers side, or the O on the passenger side, it leaves me short of the wheel well. As you know, the name is supposed to be centered between the wheel wells & wrap all the way into them. No way of doing this with the sets I have & the scripts are not in scale with each other so no way to mix & match either. Pic below is/was the passenger side- O is not where it belongs, end of the H is too fat & again so is the vertical line on the E.

dry.gif Seems with all of the talent in the 914World community, there would be a simple stencil to paint on the Porsche lettering versus a sticker.

I could definitely do a stencil of them, the company i use for vinyl makes an incredible paint mast vinyl.
aircooledtechguy
I'm confident that when Wayne (arcadeforever) gets the right vinyl, all of you will be happy with his stripe sets and be popcorn[1].gif ordering them for a good price.

I recently received a custom set of side-stripes for my shop-car and I can tell you that his work is AWESOME!!
Johny Blackstain
Thanks everyone for your comments & advice. Got in touch with Jeff & am going to go with his stripes since he's known for both his quality work on harnesses & the fact that he's pretty much "Dr. LE" happy11.gif

Now I gotta decide what to do w/ the 2 inaccurate sets I already own- I have no intention of listing them on the evilbay & I've had them too long to return them to those who sold them to me sad.gif Perhaps when I redo the paint on my six I might consider a fat fendered LE clone? idea.gif
wndsnd
I am also working with Wayne on a challenging LeMans stripe project similar to the tapered stripes on Shelby GT350s,

I want a removable stable product in Satin Black, which is not the standard product he cuts. Wayne is working on getting me some reverse templates to use and then spray the stripes with Plastidip. if that works he will cut the whole job for me. So far he has worked well together and communicates satisfactory. I will recommend him when I see what he delivers.

John
ConeDodger
I've used vinyl made by Joe Bob. He does good work...
r_towle
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 10 2014, 01:47 AM) *

Thanks everyone for your comments & advice. Got in touch with Jeff & am going to go with his stripes since he's known for both his quality work on harnesses & the fact that he's pretty much "Dr. LE" happy11.gif

Now I gotta decide what to do w/ the 2 inaccurate sets I already own- I have no intention of listing them on the evilbay & I've had them too long to return them to those who sold them to me sad.gif Perhaps when I redo the paint on my six I might consider a fat fendered LE clone? idea.gif

Garage art....stick them to the wall.

rich
Van
I've also made a few different styles before: http://racing-vinyl.weebly.com/on-the-street.html

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 11 2014, 12:02 AM) *

Garage art....stick them to the wall.

rich

Ha! Where? happy11.gif
Johny Blackstain
Jeff- got the stripes today & I thank you. 1st thing I did was to see how long they are smile.gif Unfortunately it's freezing here again so no install today- I take them into the garage they'll get hard as stone. So, if it's warm enough this weekend that's what I'm gonna be working on. Thinking of using the AA set for practice... av-943.gif
7TPorsh
PM sent to Van.

Looking for a set of lime green POSITIVE stripes.
Johny Blackstain
I've had this in mind for years & when I saw Cayennes painted this way I nearly died- my idea was out of the bag dry.gif I thought of this on the lot of HBL Porsche back in 1974 when I was 11 & have kept it hidden all these years so nobody would steal my idea hissyfit.gif
I've never done this before, realized I had wasted money buying crap before I consulted w/ Jeff Bowlsby, figured now that I have the right ones I should use the ones I got off of ebay to practice with before I attempt it on the LE. As usual it's not as easy as it looks. Not only do you have to make sure everything is clean, but be sure to really clean the door seams & wheel well arches thoroughly. Wind is your enemy, so do it on a non windy day. Cold is your enemy, so make sure it's warm & sunny so you can be comfortable, be able to see & the stripe stays flexible. BTW- fat flares make the job harder.
Behold the "Antisicle?":
JeffBowlsby
Nice, the World needs more like this. Now that you are all in...how about painting the Fuchs centers and bumpers to match? idea.gif
:
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 14 2014, 03:46 PM) *

Nice, the World needs more like this. Now that you are all in...how about painting the Fuchs centers and bumpers to match? idea.gif
:

That was the idea all along Jeff. My six was originaly Irish green, then someone painted it red & now it's black. Always planned on stripping her bare, since she's very paint heavy, fixing anything that needed fixing & then repainting her black- possibly even getting Scotty B to fab up a steel roof for me & make the 916 conversion complete. Think I saw a pic of a 916 once in this color combo but that car got repainted if I recall right. Have no idea what to call this combo though- not a grasshopper, creamsicle or a bumblebee.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 14 2014, 12:52 PM) *

That was the idea all along Jeff. ...Think I saw a pic of a 916 once in this color combo but that car got repainted if I recall right. Have no idea what to call this combo though- not a grasshopper, creamsicle or a bumblebee.

Aha, these had orange trim.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 14 2014, 04:11 PM) *

Aha, these had orange trim.

Exactly but I think it's the same car (note license plate) & it was repainted silver. Hmmm, the antenna seems to have moved though; maybe not? Never liked that big 916 sticker on the hood but otherwise it was by far my favorite combo first.gif Really nice to have the luxury of being able to practice 1st before I go for the LE.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 14 2014, 12:39 PM) *

I've had this in mind for years & when I saw Cayennes painted this way I nearly died- my idea was out of the bag dry.gif I thought of this on the lot of HBL Porsche back in 1974 when I was 11 & have kept it hidden all these years so nobody would steal my idea hissyfit.gif
I've never done this before, realized I had wasted money buying crap before I consulted w/ Jeff Bowlsby, figured now that I have the right ones I should use the ones I got off of ebay to practice with before I attempt it on the LE. As usual it's not as easy as it looks. Not only do you have to make sure everything is clean, but be sure to really clean the door seams & wheel well arches thoroughly. Wind is your enemy, so do it on a non windy day. Cold is your enemy, so make sure it's warm & sunny so you can be comfortable, be able to see & the stripe stays flexible. BTW- fat flares make the job harder.
Behold the "Antisicle?":

I like. are you going to continue the strip in front and back of the wheels?

Then get those round stickers for the outer rims to match.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 14 2014, 04:55 PM) *

I like. are you going to continue the strip in front and back of the wheels?

Then get those round stickers for the outer rims to match.

Nope. When I tear the car apart for her glorious repaint I plan on painting the rockers, wheels, front & rear bumpers orange (phoenix red) & the chasis black. Then I'll put the same negative side stripes back on to complete the look- like the LE that never was but should have been. evilgrin.gif Ultimate would be to replace the Fuchs w/ 5 lug Mahle gas burners, but they were never wide enough & the replicas are not magnesium.
7TPorsh
this is what i want to do...properly. PM to Wayne...

Click to view attachment

dlkawashima
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 21 2014, 01:16 PM) *

this is what i want to do...properly.

Here's a real life visualizer. Jeff, I apologize if this offends you ... it's just a for fun "what if we do the Grasshopper on a black car?" ...

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 21 2014, 09:24 PM) *

Here's a real life visualizer. Jeff, I apologize if this offends you ... it's just a for fun "what if we do the Grasshopper on a black car?" ...

Click to view attachment

Damn that green on black looks good aktion035.gif
JeffBowlsby
Way cool...I'm hip to that... wink.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 21 2014, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 21 2014, 09:24 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Damn that green on black looks good aktion035.gif

yeah baby piratenanner.gif
7TPorsh
Is the green on black a Photochop? Really a white car???
JeffBowlsby
Huh? The white/orange car is a real Creamsicle. The black/green car is a fantasy - "Bumblehopper". I wonder what a "Bumblesicle" might look like? Or a "CreamBlau" or a ...
JeffBowlsby
dbl dbl
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 22 2014, 12:43 PM) *

I wonder what a "Bumblesicle" might look like?

Not bad Jeff, better name than my "Antisicle" idea.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 22 2014, 09:43 AM) *

Huh? The white/orange car is a real Creamsicle. The black/green car is a fantasy - "Bumblehopper". I wonder what a "Bumblesicle" might look like? Or a "CreamBlau" or a ...

Here's what "CremeBlau" might look like on a non-LE car:
Click to view attachment

How about a fudgesicle?
Click to view attachment
arcadeforever
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 22 2014, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 22 2014, 09:43 AM) *

Here's what "CremeBlau" might look like on a non-LE car:
Click to view attachment

How about a fudgesicle?
Click to view attachment

These are great!

Johny Blackstain
Drivers side is done using Jeff's stripes- long enough & a dead on color match.
MDG

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 21 2014, 05:32 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Probably as radical as the bumblehopper. They both look schweet!! biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
Passenger side done smile.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 21 2014, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 21 2014, 05:32 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Probably as radical as the bumblehopper. They both look schweet!! biggrin.gif

agree.gif

Those pics are going to inspire someone.
scotty b
how 'bout a creambee ? mellow.gif
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 21 2014, 10:11 PM) *

how 'bout a creambee ? mellow.gif

Click to view attachment
scotty b
beescicle ? unsure.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 21 2014, 10:27 PM) *

beescicle ? unsure.gif

laugh.gif
Maybe white/blue, white/purple, grasshopper & for the girls white/hot pink? huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.