Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It would be nice if it ran.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larmo63
I bought this car with a lien title, out of a junk yard and it isn't registered yet to me and hasn't been tagged since 1999. I still want to get it running, and I have a bit of knowledge about these cars, but don't know where to start. I bought a new battery, and some things work, most do not. No sound when key is turned to start. I was thinking of putting gas in and coasting down a hill and dumping it into 2nd just for the hell of it. Hmmmmm.....Where do I start?
Grump
If you would provide more information maybe someone could help. What year? Engine? Carb or FI? Is engine froze or can you turn it over by hand (with plugs removed)? Clean gas tank? Fuel lines? Myself, I would over it very carefully before attempting to start. If it's worth saving, pull the engine and go through everything. If you go down a hill, make sure you have brakes. They probably are frozen. Just my 2 cents.
wes
No sound with key on = no fuel pump, as said above brakes very important
you sound very excited can get you into trouble,, one step at a time!
Have fun these are fun cars but very old!
damesandhotrods
I’d start with is the DMV. I don’t want to be a dad and explain what can happen to you if you push that thing on to the street, or heaven forbid it starts and you hit something…
dw914six
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 9 2014, 04:06 PM) *

I bought this car with a lien title, out of a junk yard and it isn't registered yet to me and hasn't been tagged since 1999. I still want to get it running, and I have a bit of knowledge about these cars, but don't know where to start. I bought a new battery, and some things work, most do not. No sound when key is turned to start. I was thinking of putting gas in and coasting down a hill and dumping it into 2nd just for the hell of it. Hmmmmm.....Where do I start?

If you can.....afford it......be patient......fix it all the right way. You will be tempted to go just so far, to get her back on the road. From experience I can tell you that you will be wasting your money and hard work doing anything less than what is really needed. Rust is a gift that keeps on giving. ar15.gif
Valy
You actually start with the brakes, especially if you want to go downhill.
Andyrew
It should be 10 years out. So call your local DMV saying its over 10 years out(Confirm with the vin) and you want to register it. Tell them you have your bill of sale from the junkyard and ask if you can to a light inspection and get your plates. Then trailer it do the inspection (Horn, brake lights, turn signals, headlights and wipers is it I believe. They want to make sure its visible on the road to other people).

THEN put a new ignition switch in it and give it a shot with the starter. You have to be legal first...
Mike Bellis
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Michael RD
agree.gif
Larmo63
'73 1.7, still has FI.....hasn't run for a loonnngg time. I'm not doing anything rash, I just have a wagging tail.

I have the money, it really needs to have an expert opinion. Brakes work I've gone over them.
colingreene
I am local, i can help.
Pm me if you need me.
Larmo63
I talked to a few shops around town, even my 356 mechanic. It seems as if 914's have the plague. One guy who will "look at it" for $220 was a total buzzkill. He started in on how expensive it is to do one of these cars, "as expensive as a 911." I was thinking I really "stepped in it" by buying this jalopy. Then Colin called me back, the sun came out, the birds were chirping, he is going to come over Thursday to have a look and BS over the car. Thanks 914World!
bdstone914
I am in Riverside and have tons of 914 parts. I go to SJC most sundays to work on another members car. Dont get taken for a lot of money to figure out whaat it needs. There are a lot of people on the board to help.
Bruce
Larmo63
Thanks Bruce.

I was all bummed out after calling shops. I even told my fiancé I might have made a big mistake in even buying it.

Colin's positive and informed attitude cheered me up. Now, so has Bruce.
Thank you.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 11 2014, 04:37 PM) *

Thanks, Bruce.

I was all bummed out after calling shops. I even told my fiancé I might have made a big mistake in even buying it.

Colin's positive and informed attitude cheered me up. Now, so has Bruce.
Thank you.

I'm local as well (although I have yet to meet up with Bruce and boogieman-even though I've been invited - sorry). But keep your head up as these cars are worth saving, and worth taking the time to do right. Lots of guys with huge experience here, don't be afraid to ask...
76-914
Real 914 mechanics are rare as hens teeth. The collective here can solve anything.
welcome.png
2mAn
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 9 2014, 08:05 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

poke.gif
914Dan
I would pull the plugs, squirt a little penetrating oil in there and then try to turn it over by hand. Jump across the starter poles and see if that gets it to move, but it may have been in a junkyard for a very valid reason.
colingreene
I met up with our Noble OP today.
the car he has looks to be fairly solid. its got some areas that need attention but thankfully none of that is because of rust.
mostly because its sat.
we established today he had a lazy starter motor and a borked fuel pump.
unfortunately the kid at the FLAPS did not realize that most fuel injected cars need more than 10 psi for a fuel pump and it was one of those situations where it was not worth the time to explain to him.
we replaced the starter however it still dose not want to work even though a test light shows everything is working correctly.
I ran out of time today but should be back Sunday to get it sorted.
the starter deal has me a bit baffled so if anyone has any other advice id appreciate it.
I want to check the ground situation more carefully though....
Larmo63
I'm excited to drive this, but I'm thinking that maybe I don't have enough patience to be a 914 owner. Sitting here looking at it, not knowing how to fix it but wanting to is excruciating. Should I sell this and look for a better car?

IPB Image
wndsnd
Nooooooooooo.......

You already have the jack stands and some World Friends..... Look where this adventure will take you.

John
Larmo63
Isn't the old saying: "once a 914 is on jack stands, it never comes off of them?"
KELTY360
Give it some time for perspective to set in. There is a lot of help in your area. Once you get it to turn over and get the FI sorted out you'll be amazed how things fall into place. Most 'mechanics' and Porsche shops have moved on from the 914, but 914World can guide you. On the other hand, if you don't have any patience then maybe a Miata is in your future. poke.gif

Have you ever driven a 914? ridden in one? If you haven't driven one, see if there is someone close by who will let you drive one. It will definitely make you want to stick with getting yours on the road. Good luck.

BTW, I still owe you some pics of my 4 lug Fuchs. I'll work on that this weekend.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 15 2014, 03:43 PM) *

Isn't the old saying: "once a 914 is on jack stands, it never comes off of them?"

Mine came off in two years. But I had a major rust bucket having lived it's entire life in the Northeast. If you are just doing mechanical, you will have it done in no time. I just got back from a thorough thrashing of my "Lowly 1.7". It scoots, handles like a raped ape, my wife was screaming, and I was smiling. I have been trying to get it to break loose. It won't. I can't imagine what its limits are. But I know I am not even close yet. Fun doesn't describe it. It's the cat's meow, the bees knees, (I am sure others can be more descriptive!)

blue914.jpg driving.gif biggrin.gif piratenanner.gif
Larmo63
That's all I need to hear! I WANT to drive it so badly....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.