Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wobbly gas peddle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
Hey, I just got my basically new '75 914 2.0 liter home. It ran like *hit when I got it off the transport truck but that improved the next day in the morning when I pulled it back out in the garage to wash it. The gas peddle wobbles left and right and the cable seems sticky. Other than that this car is just like new. It was stored as part of a collection for 25 of its 30 year existance. My wife keeps going out to the garage to look at it. I think she loves it as much as I do. Now I have to worry about loosing it to her! I was worried about loosing the Boxster to her but she has a lustful look when she looks at that 914.
Rob Sime
'99 4Runner Supercharged TRD
'99 Boxster Not so stock
'75 914 2.0 like new
'80 MGB almost restored
'00 R1100 RT-SE very low miles (Trade for 911?)
Cap'n Krusty
You need a new gas pedal. Common problem. The metal hinge inside the rubber has failed. There are kludge fixes, but if the car's nice, I'd go for a new or good used one. They're NOT cheap, BTW. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 8 2005, 10:37 AM)
The metal hinge inside the rubber has failed.

IPB Image with what he said ...

common problem. there's a metal hinge inside the rubber and it likes to rust and then break.
you'll need a new pedal ...

IPB Image Andy
mattillac
when i rebuilt my pedal cluster, i took a look at my gas pedal because it seemed kind of sloppy. the hinge for the pedal looked like an old rail road spike, nuthin but rust. IPB Image i just soaked it in wd-40 till i can find a reasonable replacement. cap'n is right, they're not cheap. around $89.00 new
DJsRepS
I have an 2nd generation cheap Ace Hardware hinge on it now. 2nd in 6yrs. Also I need to do put in my cluster bushings kit but Im waiting to be in an rust repair mood again for that as I have a few road view vents around it. And I get moody about rust mostly a bad mood untill its just about done.
DJsRepS
Oh yea did I mention I have my new Pelican parts throdle cabel to put in. Running a HiTest fishing leder line now. Necessity and lack of money is the real mother of invention!!
Jamie
Hey Robby -show us some photos and give more of the story about your "new" 914 and how is came to be discovered after all those years in storage. How many miles?
Rhodes71/914
Since nobddy else has, and it's kind of tradition in these cases I feel compelled to say:
IPB Image

And welcome to the club!

Aftermarket supercharger in your 4Runner? 4 or 6? Need more power in my Tacoma.
ConeDodger
Hey guys. thanks for your help and advise. Martin Baker is coming up on Friday or Saturday and he may be bringing the part off of one of his parts cars. If not I will buy one from Pelican or someone.
The car was purchased new at a Porsche dealer in Riverside by a couple in 1975. They drove it 77K miles and it hasn't been licensed since 2/80. They moved to Oregon around then and the car apparently was stored. They contacted a broker in 2003 and he had some work done on the car to get it running again. Basically a gas tank and lines as well as injectors. It runs a little rough but I am pretty sure that this is just because it needs to be driven. Brakes and clutch seem good. Exterior paint is almost flawless. Interior is very clean but not quite as perfect. I have tracked down some Fuchs to replace the dealer installed wheels that are on it. It also has a dealer installed 8 track. If I can get that working I will use it or find an original am/fm. I will shoot some pics when it stops raining like a rainforest here. It even came with maintainance records and the original window sticker. I wanted a fun autocrosser for me and the kid but this one might turn out to be a bit of a show car. I need to look it over much better before I decide.
My 4Runner has a TRD supercharger. Comes with a factory warranty etc... About 270HP before I added the Catback system. It also has an available 7th injector that boosts it another 20%. No driveability issues at all unless you count the whine when it spools up and stomps another F150 into submission.
RR
Gint
Welcome to the club! IPB Image

Pics please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rough_Rider
Had the same problem but didn't fancy being dinged the $100 for a new pedal.

Instead i cut the original pivot from the bottom of the pedal. Took a $3 door hinge from the local hardware store & spent 20 minutes cutting & drilling mounting holes.

Result nice smooth pedal motion with only the slightest wobble. Anyway for 3 bucks who cares IPB Image
I'm not cheap just don't see reason to spend money needlessly!
aircooledboy
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Jan 11 2005, 12:12 PM)

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

This should be our new club motto. Who's King of this place anyway? Who ever they are needs to issue an edict that ALL future official 914World.com merchandise must have that phrase written prominently on the item. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Jan 11 2005, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Jan 11 2005, 12:12 PM)

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

This should be our new club motto. Who's King of this place anyway? Who ever they are needs to issue an edict that ALL future official 914World.com merchandise must have that phrase written prominently on the item. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Thems words to live by for sure. IPB Image
bondo
A bit of an aside here.. If the pedal hinge is rusty, you might want to check your master cylinder for leaks.. especially after years of storage. The main pedal cluster is probably due for a rebuild too.. (right about here is where you really have to watch out for the "while I'm in there" syndrome that keeps all our jackstands busy)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.