Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unfortunate accident
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Van
It's been a while since I've posted on the 914 board... And, in part, that's because of "out of sight, out of mind" - I've been storing my 914 at a friend's garage for the last 2 years to make room for other projects.

Well, we've had a lot of snow in the north east this winter - and the garage where my car sat wasn't up to the task of supporting all that weight.

The roof came down on the front of my car, it cracked the roof, dented the roll bar, broke the windshield, dented the windshield header, dented the front fenders, and dented the hood. Luckily, I had it insured - but the insurance company has totaled it. Value to repair exceeds the car's value. However, I've had this thing for 19 years... and done a lot of the work myself, so thus begins a new chapter, a second restoration of the car.

If anyone is near New York and has any good body panels, let me know!
Cairo94507
Wow, sorry to hear and see that. I hope you get enough from the insurance company to return it to pre-crush condition.
flippa
How much did the insurance company say that it is worth? Don't let them lowball you on the value of your car!
Johny Blackstain
sad.gif really sorry to see that, hope you can get her rolling again. Is she a 73 or a 74?
ConeDodger
WTF.gif
02loftsmoor
Man that just Sucks , sorry that happened
blowup.gif
zixxv6
I had that same thing happen to a 3000 Healey years ago only it was wind an an old shed. Looks almost identical to how the truss came down on it and from your description very similar damage. It is a really gut wrenching feeling when you see it for the first time.
Java2570
Oh wow, that sucks Van! Sorry to hear that...
JawjaPorsche
Crap! That makes me sick.
GeorgeRud
Yeah, do check with the Hagerty.com website for some valuation help. Most insurer adjusters have little idea of how to deal with 40 some odd year old cars.

I had a similar situation years ago when an entire wall mounted shelf came down on my recently reprinted 911 Targa. We weren't the house, heard the crash, looked out into the garage, and just closed the door! What can you do? Stuff happens and that's why you purchase insurance.

Just think how those owners must have felt a few years ago when the big tent blew down on all those collector cars in the January Arizona auctions!
Big Len
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 10 2014, 08:45 PM) *

Crap! That makes me sick.

agree.gif Regular or classic car insurance?
MMW
Sorry man, hope you get something out of it. Snow loads can be very heavy especially with some rain.

jeffdon
Dude, I got so much out of your website covering your engine build. I do not have alot to offer body panel wise. One good early style drivers side door is about it.
914itis
I got a front windshield. Pm me if you need it.
Van
Thanks for the condolences, everyone.

Luckily I had it insured with Hagerty for an agreed upon value of $15k. (Hopefully that's not breaking any rules to mention that.)

The Hagerty folks have been great to deal with. They sent out an appraiser who did a very thorough job, but, unfortunately, her estimate was more than 75% of the insured value, so they declared it totaled. I'm going to buy it back, and, like I said, someday it'll be road worth again.

The good news, I'm fixing some dents on my track car (944), so, hopefully I'll develop some useful skills!
914-300Hemi
That is very sad to see a fellow marathon blue car get damaged like that. Good luck with the restroration.

effutuo101
that bites.
good luck.
There are a few people out there with parts.
r_towle
post up some pics of the dents.
I have some parts that might work.

Rich
rick 918-S
That sux! dry.gif
Van
Here's a video that shows most of the damage. It can all be addresses - it's just a lot of things all together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2GOccRvyz4
saigon71
Man that's a rough break. Sorry to hear the news. sad.gif
rhodyguy
Btdt. 2010 when the carport came down on the 75' and my ford pickup. Don't accept a 'branded' title and make sure you get to keep car. My ins co was more than fair with me. The adjuster knew nothing about 914s. "You can bolt new fenders on, paint it and it will be as good as new".
Van
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 11 2014, 06:49 AM) *

Don't accept a 'branded' title and make sure you get to keep car.

How can I *not* do that? I'm told that I can buy the car back, and receive a "salvage title". But that's my only option.
914itis
My car was total, I had to buy it back, the insurance did not take my original title. I sold it to a friend and he was able to register it using the original title.
green914
wacko.gif OUCH! Hope you get it all fixed up.
rhodyguy
i guess because my car was 'deemed' fixable. they offered cash, no branded title, and i got to keep the car. if you haven't uncovered it from the rubble you might find the windshield frame is raked back. mine was and every corner and upper body pieces were whammed. you'll want to get the salvageable stuff out of the interior before the melt off starts. i had every bit of the structure off site before the adjuster showed up so the car could be assessed. the ins co took care of the dumpster/fees, forklift rental, $ for my and my helper's labor too. those items may be covered under the home owners ins.
Tom
Van,
So sorry to see that. Hope all turns out well.
Tom
boogie_man
QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 11 2014, 09:41 AM) *

Van,
So sorry to see that. Hope all turns out well.
Tom

Chris H.
Sorry about your accident man.

Fixed your video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2GOccRvyz4

The good news is it doesn't look nearly as bad in the vid. The pic looks like its crushed.
3d914
Chris, bummer to hear about the teener. But don't let the insurance company total it! Teener values are higher now than when mine was wrecked, and you're damage is much less (assuming no structural damage - since most adjusters wouldn't know what to look for anyway).

I refused to let them total it. I got revised estimates from a shop that could actually repair the panels with metal (not replace), got some very good used parts (bumper mostly), and a complete exterior repaint for less than a fraction of the insurance adjusters estimate.

If you want I'll post some pics of my damage when I get home and you can compare.

Hang in there brother!
ndfrigi
Wait, Am I right Sir that this is the car that you documented in detailed the engine rebuild and your little boy is riding on your first drive test after engine rebuild? Well I did watch your rebuild thread (on video) several times. Thanks for sharing that detailed rebuild video!

I'm sure you also know that your car should not be totaled and just get the big amount from your insurance to fix your car.

God bless!

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 11 2014, 02:15 PM) *

Sorry about your accident man. The good news is it doesn't look nearly as bad in the vid. The pic looks like its crushed.

agree.gif I think she can be saved & should be. Good luck Van.
cconcepcion
Sorry about the bad news. I've got a pair of front and rear lids you can have if you can figure a way to get'em delivered to you. They're located in Peoria, AZ. Lemme know....
Regards,
Cesar
Van
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 11 2014, 10:15 AM) *

Fixed your video:

Thanks!

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 11 2014, 12:30 PM) *

Wait, Am I right Sir that this is the car that you documented in detailed the engine rebuild and your little boy is riding on your first drive test after engine rebuild? Well I did watch your rebuild thread (on video) several times. Thanks for sharing that detailed rebuild video!

I'm sure you also know that your car should not be totaled and just get the big amount from your insurance to fix your car.

God bless!

Yep, that's the car. sad.gif I bought it in 1995. She'll be returned to her former glory - it might just take a while.

QUOTE(cconcepcion @ Mar 11 2014, 01:47 PM) *

Sorry about the bad news. I've got a pair of front and rear lids you can have if you can figure a way to get'em delivered to you. They're located in Peoria, AZ. Lemme know....
Regards,
Cesar

Awesome! If I can't find any closer by, we'll work something out.
gms
Sorry for your loss
yet another reason to hate snow!
Check with Garold Shaffer , a good guy who cuts up a lot of cars.
r_towle
My stupid opinion is this.

A good body man can hammer out those front fenders and I would rather do that then remove and replace them...
That is hammer and dolly work at a decent shop.

Roof, get a new one.
Rear trim, get some new trim.

Windshield frame, pull the dents and fix it.

I would get that car fixed, but find a shop that actually know how to do body work versus panel replacement and you will be much happier.
914itis
I agree!
ndfrigi
I'm sure Van has all the talent and means to fix this. He has various porsche and has the proper shop/garage at his house.

see you tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/vsvenson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwerKH31ArQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brQY6zX4ho0
KELTY360
Talk to Hagerty about how you can avoid a salvage title. They understand the issues and may have some ideas for you. Good luck.
achman_73_2.0
Would this help? Plenty of body panels here...and maybe some other stuff you need....

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/4369089554.html

No relation to seller
Dustin
That sucks man... Your engine build site for that car inspired me...

http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/
Maltese Falcon
Van, you can have my extra front hood from our current project car.
It's in better shape than yours. The freight from Cali. Might be the dealbreaker blink.gif
Marty
Van
Everyone's support has been just awesome!

I will be taking some of you guys up on the generous offers.

I guess I'll be making videos about body work and painting soon!
tumamilhem
You may be in luck. I have a nice 914 I was in route to sell, when someone backed into it in a parking lot. The car is mechanically sound, rebuilt 2.2 2000cc engine, solid body, etc. The front hood and driver side front panel need to be replaced. My insurance company totalled it, but I can buy the car back from them, which I was thinking of doing as there's interest in it as is. I would just sell it for almost 1/3 of what I was selling it for. If interested, let me know. I will buy it back if someone wants it. I have the weekend to decide. Was going to post a thread with pics tomorrow morning when I get home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.