Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mixture suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
The rebuilt 2056 took a lot of MPS tweaking to pull really nice. At cruise on the highway with my foot pressing down wit a gentleness I see a consistent A/F at 14, sometimes drifting a little closer to lambda.

Yesterday driving with air temps in the lower 40s the VDO CHT gauge was sitting resolutely at 450. Now my VDO oil pressure gauges have either been failed completely or in the current new one about 5 psi off (low).

I have a Dakota Digital CHT ordered. But setting that aside, what do most people find as the ideal A/F. I ended up where I am by listening to the engine. I wasn't seeking the perfection of lambda, even though it makes sense to me as a chemist.

Should it oughta be richer?
Joe Ricard
What do your plugs say?

If 450 is normal for your engine fine. But I seem to remember 400 being my limit when I had a 914.
JamesM
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 11 2014, 09:09 AM) *

The rebuilt 2056 took a lot of MPS tweaking to pull really nice. At cruise on the highway with my foot pressing down wit a gentleness I see a consistent A/F at 14, sometimes drifting a little closer to lambda.

Yesterday driving with air temps in the lower 40s the VDO CHT gauge was sitting resolutely at 450. Now my VDO oil pressure gauges have either been failed completely or in the current new one about 5 psi off (low).

I have a Dakota Digital CHT ordered. But setting that aside, what do most people find as the ideal A/F. I ended up where I am by listening to the engine. I wasn't seeking the perfection of lambda, even though it makes sense to me as a chemist.

Should it oughta be richer?

~13.5 it idle to -12.5 at load is roughly where I have my target AFRs set in megasquirt. 450 is hot, I am guessing you are running the stock cam

stugray
Here's a plot from my datalogger just for grins:

IPB Image

The orange and red are are EGTs & the Blue is AFR (innovate LC-1).

This is with 40IDF carbs.
It is only a brief run to check out the datalogger, so EGTs never got to full temp.
But my AFR only popped above 14 during warmup or (mostly) when I was shifting.
worn
QUOTE(JamesM @ Mar 11 2014, 08:23 AM)

~13.5 it idle to -12.5 at load is roughly where I have my target AFRs set in megasquirt. 450 is hot, I am guessing you are running the stock cam

No, a webcam modified 73, similar to a Raby design at least superficially. So i will add some more fuel and see what happens.
worn
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 11 2014, 08:46 AM) *

Here's a plot from my datalogger just for grins:

IPB Image

The orange and red are are EGTs & the Blue is AFR (innovate LC-1).

This is with 40IDF carbs.
It is only a brief run to check out the datalogger, so EGTs never got to full temp.
But my AFR only popped above 14 during warmup or (mostly) when I was shifting.

So Stu, in that trace do you figure you have the carbs more or less dialed in? Curious if this is where the motor wants to be. With the fi i am thinking the engine runs better at close to lambda. This is surprise to me, but i have done a lot of mps tweaking.
r_towle
I don't know if you trust that head temp sensor, but 450 is too hot.
Add some fuel.
recheck your timing...and talk with the camshop to ask about timing on your camshaft.

Rich
brant
Lambda is too lean
worn
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 11 2014, 06:11 PM) *

I don't know if you trust that head temp sensor, but 450 is too hot.
Add some fuel.
recheck your timing...and talk with the camshop to ask about timing on your camshaft.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I figured running at optimal efficiency couldnt possibly be a good thing, so i am going to tweak richer. Also a new cht gauge arrives tomorrow. I wanna go to the 66 as they say in the golden state.
r_towle
Check on the timing for that camshaft.
Too much advance runs hot
Too much retard runs hot
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 12 2014, 06:12 PM) *

I wanna go to the 66 as they say in the golden state.

Who says this? What does it mean? confused24.gif
72hardtop
Tell more about the carbs...jetting numbers, vent size etc...

What distributor?
worn
QUOTE(72hardtop @ Mar 13 2014, 02:56 PM) *

Tell more about the carbs...jetting numbers, vent size etc...

What distributor?

Stock fi.

I just found out my vdo voltage gauge is off by about 15 percent. Add that to my vdo oil pressure gauge stuck permanently at 20 psi and its replacement 10 psi too low. All new. So more when i get dakota digital installed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.