Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original rear shocks on '75 teener?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
carreraguy
Hi all,
After running my 914aru for a number of years and now realizing my front shocks are bottomed out, I'm looking to revise the suspension to make it a little softer all around for my old butt. I know the fronts were originally Boge so I'll go that route; I'm guessing the rears were Boge also.
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks,
Tom
dcheek
I have Boges on my '76 (built in late '75) and they are original. Gray in color.

Dave
914runnow
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Mar 11 2014, 03:14 PM) *

Hi all,
After running my 914aru for a number of years and now realizing my front shocks are bottomed out, I'm looking to revise the suspension to make it a little softer all around for my old butt. I know the fronts were originally Boge so I'll go that route; I'm guessing the rears were Boge also.
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks,
Tom

What shocks are your rears now???Or a pic is awesome..
Unless it has Boge on them...and the correct bottom perch
for Boge/Sachs shocks..
and yes the Boge will give an 'Original ride'..to the car..
have the rear springs been replaced??
mepstein
I had the orig boges on my car and they were dead. Got new ones from PMB performance and 100# springs. Car is happy again and rides nice.
carreraguy
QUOTE(914runnow @ Mar 14 2014, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Mar 11 2014, 03:14 PM) *

Hi all,
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks,
Tom

What shocks are your rears now???Or a pic is awesome..
Unless it has Boge on them...and the correct bottom perch
for Boge/Sachs shocks..
and yes the Boge will give an 'Original ride'..to the car..
have the rear springs been replaced??

Thanks!
Well, the suspension was modified when I had the Suby conversion done - a setup for auto-crossing and harder driving, now I'm looking for for of a "GT" type with less emphasis on the lower/more precise handling but still somewhat "tossable".
I have a 911SC front setup with 22mm sway bar and Bilstein front inserts. The rear has Bilstein perch adjustable sport shocks with 200 lb springs.
This is outside the area of my expertise so I'm working with a suspension guy who is not totally familiar with 914's and he suggested going back to the original setup, thus my question re: OEM shocks.
My goal is to get a softer ride but still maintain a somewhat lower profile and I'm concerned that the original setup would increase the ride height too much. I just told him yesterday to increase the ride height in the rear with a higher perch and see how much of a difference it will make in handling/appearance. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
914runnow
Does the sway bar feed thru the body as typical for a OEM 914??
Have the torsion bars been upgraded in size???
what are the weight variances between front and rear with the conversion?
Horse power is a big factor...a 'mushy stock ride'..
could equal an accident......
what is tire and wheel Size??
your current HP will not work well with stock or close to stock size
tires.....that is a Huge factor to get that original ride..
find a putt putt 1.7 for a grocery getter.
and leave the Suby for your mad power days..!!
there has to be a balance between front and rear.

if not the car can turn into a bucking horse..

Since this is the Originality forum...
I would throw this over to the 'Garage Section'..
and let the Suby folks dissect it.. confused24.gif happy11.gif
Good Luck..Rx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.