Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 904 Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
azbill
Has anyone built a 3 in 1 gauge like this?
boxstr
Dan Root is the creator and I have one in my black 914-6.
CLIN904DIAL
Dave_Darling
Did Dan come up with the patterns originally? I got my kit from Don (formerly of Don & Glen's swap meet fame) back when he was working at Pelican the first time. (Or was it just before then?)

They're not hard to build, but making the face-plate (the part you can see) and making it look nice are not that easy. The back plate shouldn't be too tough to make. Just remove gauge modules from their backing plates and lay them out on some flat stock, then mark where the holes need to be. Hmm, you'll have to have them stuffed into the gauge housing, I guess, to see where they need to be in relation to each other.

Or you could borrow a backing plate from someone who has one.

--DD
Aaron Cox
i have a kit too.
read this site

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3Doff%26sa%3DN

ill be assembling mine shortly

PS>... i am looking into a run of these being made....but dont want to infringe if someone is too
boxstr
Dan may not have been the creator, but he is or has made some, DAN get in here and defend your good name.
CCLINGAUGEME
azbill
Are there any kits available now? If there are who has them?
Thanks
Azbill
Aaron Cox
i have the kit here in front of me.

no where on it does it say who made it copyright etc. not even on the instruction sheets IPB Image
curtis
The original inventer or creator or what ever you would officially call it goes by the name of Stan Copper who was one of the big names of the 914 owners association back in the 80s and 90s who was friends with Dennis Deeds. He restored a factory six about ten years ago and updated it with a 3.2 carrea motor and soon realized that the factory gauges were not sufficent to monitor what was going on with the engine. So to prevent hacking up the dash with numerous gauges and such he combined them all into one.There is a tech article in one of the panoramas from the late 90s as to how he went about doing it,and this all came about before anyone marketed the idea of manufacturing and selling the kit,so its safe to say that Stan Copper came up with it first.
boxstr
Where is Stan today??
CCLINWHERESWALDO
drew365
Here's mine I made from a kit. Unassembled kit came with my car so I don't know who it came from.
drew365
How many times am I going to do this before I learn? Here's the pic:
BMartin914
Can you buy the modules independently?

I think that I could change my triple gauge's temp portion to numbers for better accuracy. Matching the sender of course.

Possible?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Jan 8 2005, 07:51 PM)
Can you buy the modules independently?

I think that I could change my triple gauge's temp portion to numbers for better accuracy. Matching the sender of course.

Possible?

im currently looking for a 5 bar (vs 10 bar) oil pressure and a numbered temp module IPB Image

if'n ya got any..lemme know..im in the market
914forme
I made the back plates for the Don kit way back when, Don had better luck with the fronts. I said I would make another set, but don't have time or really want to deal with it. So if someone whats to pickup the ball, I can send you all the info I have. Send me a PM.

I can give you prices and drawings on how they are made, instractions etc. Stan gave myself and Don permision to build these, it was a pain, it was royal pain in reality.

I was not really happy when they went up for sale with the bird, not my choice of how it should have been handeled. But then it was not my choice, it was Don's and since he was becoming an employee then it was his choice all the way.

BTW, Anybody know if Don ever finish his 914???????
John
I have a tripple gauge kit, but my faceplate really is CRAPPY compared to those shown in this thread. I bought my kit from a friend of a friend and the deal kinda went sour. I got the kit but was less than pleased with it.

I didn't use the faceplate that he provided. I wish I had one of those faceplates only without the center chrome button.

I looked further at the link (in an earlier post) and determined that it is an identical kit to what I recieved. I have all the instructions (including templates to have the gauge faces re-screened), the backplate and two faceplates (one with button, and one without). The guy was nice enough, but the quality was not what I had expected. However, after looking at the others, my faceplates look identical to the pics above.
datapace
You can buy the gauge finished from Palo Alto Speedometer here complete with senders.

Then again, you could always go for the bling factor:

IPB Image

IPB Image

-bryan
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (datapace @ Jan 8 2005, 09:11 PM)
You can buy the gauge finished from Palo Alto Speedometer here complete with senders.

Then again, you could always go for the bling factor:

IPB Image

IPB Image

-bryan

that looks too wierd IPB Image
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (914forme @ Jan 8 2005, 07:48 PM)

Nope. Sadly, the divorce wound up eating up all his spare time and money. He had to sell the car off, uncompleted. I don't know who bought it.

--DD
agrump
Cool looking gauge. How come the first picture showed the pressure and temp gauge with the correct angle on the silk screen but the kit used 911 vertical gauge parts? I wish this was still available!
Root_Werks
IPB Image I didn't invent the kit, but have put a few together and know how they work. You basically have 2 pieces to the kit and instructions. You need your 914 fuel gauge and a 911 combo gauge.

I think my first kit came from Stan and second from Don? I can't remember now. The last one I put together now resides in Craig's black 914-6. I actually wish I would have kept the gauge as no one has put together another kit since. It is a PITA to do. You have to shell out $$$ get the face peice machined, painted and silk screened, then make the back piece.

I do know the kits, if someone wants to send me the stuff, I would put in the time and $$$ to start making them again. The last 2 times I purchased the kits, they were around $100, so I would try to keep them at that same price level.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (agrump @ Jan 10 2005, 08:56 AM)
Cool looking gauge. How come the first picture showed the pressure and temp gauge with the correct angle on the silk screen but the kit used 911 vertical gauge parts? I wish this was still available!

Some people go the extra mile and have the faces of the 911 gauges silkscreened to match the new angle of the 904 style gauge. Great look and not too bad $$$ wise to have done.
boxstr
I have a fabricator that has been in the biz and I have used them for years. They have the facilities to make the faceplate and to silk screen also. If some one wants to send a faceplate I will get an estimate.
CCLINFABINC
Root_Werks
QUOTE (914forme @ Jan 8 2005, 07:48 PM)
I made the back plates for the Don kit way back when, Don had better luck with the fronts. I said I would make another set, but don't have time or really want to deal with it. So if someone whats to pickup the ball, I can send you all the info I have. Send me a PM.

I can give you prices and drawings on how they are made, instractions etc. Stan gave myself and Don permision to build these, it was a pain, it was royal pain in reality.

I was not really happy when they went up for sale with the bird, not my choice of how it should have been handeled. But then it was not my choice, it was Don's and since he was becoming an employee then it was his choice all the way.

Sent you a PM about this. IPB Image
Root_Werks
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 10 2005, 09:21 AM)
I have a fabricator that has been in the biz and I have used them for years. They have the facilities to make the faceplate and to silk screen also. If some one wants to send a faceplate I will get an estimate.
CCLINFABINC

Craig, I have a machinest up here who could also do all the work for the faceplate and backplate. I would want to make two types, one for the silver button people and one sans the silver button. Maybe if I can get the blueprints for the kit, I can have you send out the faceplates to get silk screened? This could just come together again after all these years! IPB Image
pete-stevers
dan i would love to get one put togther.....
i will give you a call tonight.....
Hoss
I am not sure if it helps to pile on here to help spread the fixed costs, but I am definitely interested in purchasing one of these beasts.

grasshopper
wasn't alpha working making more of these?? what happened to that??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.