Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71 won't go to 4th or 5th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CMXIV
so for the first time since i owned this 71 1.7 it is running! On my maiden test voyage 4th and 5th gear were not available. it seems like the shifter is not moving far enough to the right. i took it apart and saw no obstructions. It seemed like the bar in the engine compartment was hitting the headers, and upon inspection the motor mounts looked low to me. i jacked up the engine and tried to tighten the mounts, no luck. (maybe pb blaster will help that). anyway, it still didn't get 4th or 5th with the engine jacked up off the shifter bar. when i took the shift lever out, it seemed like it may be the problem, it only moved a bit before hitting the plate on the underside. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. Lee
Mblizzard
First PM Dr Evil for his notes on trans mission rebuild. He will provide the best advice.

Did you adjust the shifter inside the tunnel? To me it sounds like you need to make an adjustment of the shifter inside the tunnel.

Put it in 2nd gear. Then look at where the shifter sits. If it is not in the position you would think 2nd would be (it is likely to far left). Then lossen the single 13 mm nut on the shift rod in the tunnel and position the shifter to where you think 2nd should be. Verify that you can get third where it should be and then try again. Don't make large scale changes! Also mark your starting points on the rod and shifter with a sharpie so you will have a reference point for how much you have moved the rod.

I struggled with this for a long time before I learned to make smaller adjustments.
injunmort
shifter bushings have packed up
dw914six
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Mar 11 2014, 04:24 PM) *

First PM Dr Evil for his notes on trans mission rebuild. He will provide the best advice.

Did you adjust the shifter inside the tunnel? To me it sounds like you need to make an adjustment of the shifter inside the tunnel.

Put it in 2nd gear. Then look at where the shifter sits. If it is not in the position you would think 2nd would be (it is likely to far left). Then lossen the single 13 mm nut on the shift rod in the tunnel and position the shifter to where you think 2nd should be. Verify that you can get third where it should be and then try again. Don't make large scale changes! Also mark your starting points on the rod and shifter with a sharpie so you will have a reference point for how much you have moved the rod.

I struggled with this for a long time before I learned to make smaller adjustments.

agree.gif When you are sick.....go to the Doctor.
CMXIV
QUOTE(injunmort @ Mar 11 2014, 08:25 PM) *

shifter bushings have packed up

what does that mean and what are possible solutions? pb blaster, grease, new bushings?
CMXIV
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Mar 11 2014, 08:24 PM) *

i did not even know this was an option. i am giddy with the anticipation of this being a pretty easy solution. i certainly don't want to rebuild the tranny if possible.
914itis
you may need to adjust your shifter.
Start with This link.
CMXIV
QUOTE(914itis @ Mar 11 2014, 08:54 PM) *

Start with This link.

thanks for the link. now, i feel kinda dumb asking this, but where is the adjustment screw? is it the hex screw on the side of the cup that is engaged by the shift lever? or is it by the firewall?
Bob L.
QUOTE(CMXIV @ Mar 11 2014, 08:03 PM) *

Start with This link.

thanks for the link. now, i feel kinda dumb asking this, but where is the adjustment screw? is it the hex screw on the side of the cup that is engaged by the shift lever? or is it by the firewall?

It is inside. Uncover the hole in the tunnel at the base of the shifter. 13mm bolt. Follow the Dr.s instructions from there. Good luck.
CMXIV
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Mar 11 2014, 10:09 PM) *

Start with This link.

It is inside. Uncover the hole in the tunnel at the base of the shifter. 13mm bolt. Follow the Dr.s instructions from there. Good luck.

is this different for tail and side shifters? i have a tail shifter.
bdstone914
QUOTE(CMXIV @ Mar 11 2014, 07:36 PM) *

Start with This link.

Yes it is different for tail shifters. The first bushing to go is the one In the cup at the bottom of the shifter.
CMXIV
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 11 2014, 11:02 PM) *

Start with This link.

Yes it is different for tail shifters. The first bushing to go is the one In the cup at the bottom of the shifter.

that bushing seems good. is there a way to adjust the shifter on the tail shift transmission? I am not too excited to be limited to 35 mph.
914itis
QUOTE(CMXIV @ Mar 11 2014, 11:14 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 11 2014, 11:02 PM) *

Start with This link.

that bushing seems good. is there a way to adjust the shifter on the tail shift transmission? I am not too excited to be limited to 35 mph.

The adjustment should be the same procedure as side.
914itis
here is a picture of the shifter. I am not sure where the adjustment link / bolt is as I never adjusted a tail shift. I am sure someone here would help soon.
Michael RD
For tailshift, remove the seatpad and cointray between the seats and remove the coverplate (one sheetmetal screw) - the shift shaft adjustment is just under the cover.
CMXIV
QUOTE(Michael RD @ Mar 12 2014, 12:54 AM) *

For tailshift, remove the seatpad and cointray between the seats and remove the coverplate (one sheetmetal screw) - the shift shaft adjustment is just under the cover.

thanks. i will check that out and look forward cruising in 5th. everyone on this site seems to be so helpful. i hope i can return the favor to the community.
injunmort
what it means is, check to see that the bushings have not failed. there is one on the shifter ball, one in the firewall, and two on the ball and cups off the firewall and linkage. when mine failed at the firewall, there was enough slop in the linkage as to make it impossible to find 4th and 5th.
Dr Evil
If you want some additional instructions, PM me your email and I will send you my 31 pages of notes that cover all kinds of transmission stuff.
nicabr
QUOTE(injunmort @ Mar 12 2014, 01:02 PM) *

what it means is, check to see that the bushings have not failed. there is one on the shifter ball, one in the firewall, and two on the ball and cups off the firewall and linkage. when mine failed at the firewall, there was enough slop in the linkage as to make it impossible to find 4th and 5th.

agree.gif I have the same experience.
Dave_Darling
Another possibility--an unpleasant one--is that the clutch tube has come loose inside the center tunnel, and the bottom of the shifter is hitting it before it can move over far enough to select the 4/5 plane.

--DD
CMXIV

thanks michael. the adjustment screw is right where you said it was. i am one bushing away from a smooth shifting ride, for a tail shifter, of course.
CMXIV
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 12 2014, 07:23 PM) *

Another possibility--an unpleasant one--is that the clutch tube has come loose inside the center tunnel, and the bottom of the shifter is hitting it before it can move over far enough to select the 4/5 plane.

--DD

that sounds quite unpleasant. it turns out the bushing just rear of the shifter it gone! it should be arriving at my house in a week. thank you pelican parts.
CMXIV
QUOTE(CMXIV @ Mar 12 2014, 10:49 PM) *

thanks michael. the adjustment screw is right where you said it was. i am one bushing away from a smooth shifting ride, for a tail shifter, of course.

That adjustment bolt may be causing problems. the bolt that goes through the clamp is rubbing on the drivers side of the tunnel. although it is making it all pretty and shiny in there, this cant be good for anything. i think if i flip the bolt all will be well in there and the adjustment can proceed.
914itis
The bad bushing may be the cause of the rubing.
CMXIV
QUOTE(914itis @ Mar 12 2014, 11:59 PM) *

The bad bushing may be the cause of the rubing.

good point. all shifter work shall cease until the new bushing is in!
walterolin
If you haven't installed the bushings before, you should be aware of a little trick to get them in. They are hard as a rock out of the package, but if you drop them into boiling water for a few minutes, they'll slide right in.
CMXIV
QUOTE(walterolin @ Mar 13 2014, 12:09 AM) *

If you haven't installed the bushings before, you should be aware of a little trick to get them in. They are hard as a rock out of the package, but if you drop them into boiling water for a few minutes, they'll slide right in.

poached bushing, delicious!
CMXIV
the bushing arrived so much faster than anticipated! it has been installed, the shifter rod adjusted, and 4th and 5th are back! I really want to thank all who responded and helped with this problem. without your volumes of knowledge, i don't that i could have gotten this done. thanks again, you awesome group wrenchers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.