Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grump
I must be missing something. This new cable from Pelican appears to be too short. The adjustment at the pedal end is maxed out. The pedal itself is all the way back against the stop. I'm not sure if this is the correct hole but I see no other option. Pelican's part number checks out. Anyone have any ideas or solution? ThanksClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
'73-914kid
Does the sheathe mount up to the plenum without issue? If the cable sheathe mounts up to the plenum without much issue, you most likely wrapped the throttle cable around the clutch cable at the front of the tunnel when installing the throttle cable.
914_teener
agree.gif
Grump
I pulled it completely out and It's doesn't appear hung up on or wrapped around the clutch cable. Maybe if I pull both cables and put accelerator in first. I just can't see where those extra inches would come from.
Grump
The sheath will not come close to the plenum.
'73-914kid
Ah, okay, it sounds like its getting hung up on something underneath the engine tin. Make sure you have the cable running the most direct route possible from the tube at the firewall up to the grommet.. It's not a super smooth transition I must say..
Grump
That's why I asked it it was the correct hole in the tin. The angle seems pretty acute.
Grump
QUOTE(Grump @ Mar 12 2014, 03:16 PM) *

That's why I asked it it was the correct hole in the tin. The angle seems pretty acute.

Another view. Looks like I'll pull the clutch cable and reinstall the accelerator first. Click to view attachment
jimkelly
the cable should be 101" from tip to tip - i believe.
TheCabinetmaker
What hole is it coming thru? I can't tell from your pic.
Grump
The forward most on the passenger side.
Grump
I'll pull them both and then install the accelerator cable first. Only way to make sure clutch cable is not the cause.
TheCabinetmaker
I don't see it in your pic. just wires.
'73-914kid
Th cable is coming from the correct hole, and the cable sheath is bolted up correctly to the plenum.

I'm placing my money on it being wrapped around the clutch cable still..haha
Jeffs9146
Also if the housing is not fully seated on the tube at the firewall it will be short!
Grump
I pulled both cables. Installed the accelerator cable and she is still short. Did not put clutch cable back. The black outer sheath is up tight against the bulkhead. It does measure 101 inches as jimkelly said it should. I only have 5 threads going into the pedal coupling. Don't want to loosen it more. It wouldn't be enough anyway.
JawjaPorsche
I know this sounds obvious but make sure the cable has the most direct route to the throttle after it comes out of the engine tin hole. I made that mistake. headbang.gif
Grump
The outer sheath connects to the plenum as it should so routing it another way will not give me more cable. Outer casing appears to be okay.
Jeffs9146
Maybe you got a 6 cable!?
Grump
I'll check with Pelican. The only numbers on the cable are "Made in Poland 424 230 3313".
TheCabinetmaker
Aren't they longer?
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 12 2014, 02:27 PM) *

Aren't they longer?

I can't remember I just know they are different!
Grump
I just talked to Pelican. He said if it was for a 6 he would of had to order it from the factory, and it costs a bunch more. This manufacturer has been making them for years and he hasn't heard of one being too short. I can exchange it for the other brand, Terry, but I can't help thinking the problem is on my end.
Dave_Darling
Double-check that the sheath fits onto the tube through the firewall securely.

Triple-check the routing of the cable.

--DD
Grump
I've had it in and out 3 times. It doesn't bind, and goes in smoothly. The clutch cable is pulled so as not to obstruct. As you know, there are 2 sheaths. The inner white one slides into the tube with no problem. The outer black is tight against the firewall tube and connects easily to the plenum. Gotta sleep on it.
Jeff Hail
I have a six cable in my hand. 100 inches tip to tip with the ball ends removed.
dangrouche
in my case, the only time this problem presented itself occurred at the firewall; the cable housing separated from the ferrule that abuts the firewall, hence "shortening" the cable length. could not figure it out until you examine every inch of that cable. Solution: I had to replace it with a new one.
Grump
Problem solved. Took out shifter base and with small mirror and light I saw the accelerator cable wrapped around the brake line. This looked like a natural path so no matter how many times I removed and installed it, the brake line was in the way. Removed ball coupling, 1 turn around brake line with cable, re-attached, just right amount of slack to couple with throttle. A pen light and a small mirror were invaluable. Re-installed clutch cable and with the mirror and light saw that they were parallel and would not bind. Thanks for all your responses..
JawjaPorsche
piratenanner.gif drunk.gif
Grump
Lesson learned: Do your homework and you won't have to ask questions.
JawjaPorsche
If you did ask questions we would not learn something. Not just you but other people who read this forum. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The brake line? It'a nowhere NEAR the brake line. The tube runs from the firewall to a point on the left side of the tunnel a few inches forward of the shifter assembly opening. It's paired with the clutch cable tube, and brazed to the side of the tunnel.

The Cap'n
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 13 2014, 02:38 PM) *

The brake line? It'a nowhere NEAR the brake line. The tube runs from the firewall to a point on the left side of the tunnel a few inches forward of the shifter assembly opening. It's paired with the clutch cable tube, and brazed to the side of the tunnel.

The Cap'n

Was thinking the same thing. Hey for some sex is best with the lights on.
JawjaPorsche
Maybe it was a line that looked like a brake line but could be stainless fuel lines that someone installed? Just asking! It was a line that was the problem. I think we can all agree with that. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Mar 13 2014, 02:02 PM) *

The Cap'n

So, is that religious or political? Both? Neither?

The Cap'n
Grump
I should of taken a pic before buttoning it back up. If what you say is true, and I believe it is, the brake line must of been replaced. It runs down the center of the tunnel. When taking off the rear inspection cover, you can see a fitting where one line ends and another continues. On mine the tubes run about 14 inches and one is above the other on the passenger side of the tunnel. The accelerator is the top tube and clutch the lower. What can I say, I saw what I saw.
Grump
I put in the ss fuel lines. I know what the brake line looks like.
Cap'n Krusty
Here's a picture of the tunnel, from Charlie Davis via DDD on Pelican:

Click to view attachment

Note that it's upside down. On the viewer's left are the fuel lines. Running down the middle is the brake line. Note the coupler near the bottom of the picture. It's 2 pieces, and comes out the bottom into a right angle fitting. To the right are the clutch, throttle, and heater cable tubes. The heater tubes stop just before the opening for the shifter. The clutch and throttle tubes extend past the shifter opening and end quite a ways before the forward closing panel, through which the 2 fuel lines and the brake line extend. Note that the clutch tube, the throttle cable tube, and the right heater cable tube start out on the passenger side and angle across to the driver's side. The fuel pipes start out, and stay, on the passenger side. The left heater cable tube and the brake pipe start out on the driver's side. The heater cable tube stays there, the brake line moves to the center early on. Because the clutch cable and the throttle emerge from their long tubes near the front, and they're in a direct line to the pedal connections, they cannot foul the brake line, which is 2 or 3 inches away. They can, however, foul each other, and often do on installation. It happens even to experienced techs. I have seen cases where the clutch and throttle cables have ended up outside their respective tubes. It's a hack, but such things DO happen. Probably more often with the throttle cable when someone becomes frustrated because the Teflon sleeve has jammed up the works and they can't easily get the tube cleared. IMO, that's the ONLY way the cable could foul the brake pipe. Make sense?

The Cap'n
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 13 2014, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Mar 13 2014, 02:02 PM) *

The Cap'n

So, is that religious or political? Both? Neither?

The Cap'n

When it comes to inserting things in a hole I suppose could be political but I meant it in humor and truth but not religion.
Cap'n Krusty
Just pullin" your properly, modestly, and well covered leg. Wouldn't wanna get in trouble with those who care about stuff like that .......................

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.