Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing Gasoline
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Johny Blackstain
I'm not a good enough driver to race & I'm old & too fat to get slammed around in a car, so I've never posted here before. However, in looking for ethanol free gas for my 6, with triple 40 mm webbers, I found the gas warehouse 8 miles away from me sells alcohol free racing gas @ 110 octane for $8.17/gal.

#1: how do you guys afford this?
#2: is this a good price?

Just curious to see what everyone else pays.
popcorn[1].gif
wndsrfr
Ethanol free 93 octane at local Farmer's Supply called Southern States (in Virginia) is basically $3.85/gallon. Farmers want the corn subsidy but not the ethanol hassles in their equipment which might sit for 6-9 months and then need to work.
Race fuel at the track is $9.00 per gallon....

Just noticed that you're in the heart of ethanol free in Virginia....seems like nearly every town in the Shenandoah Valley has a station with it.....here's a link.....
http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=VA

campbellcj
100 octane is $8.25 or 8.29 here as I recall. Each full day at the track I use 10-15 gallons -> $125! Plus gas for the tow vehicle too. Yikes.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Mar 12 2014, 08:34 PM) *

Ethanol free 93 octane at local Farmer's Supply called Southern States (in Virginia) is basically $3.85/gallon. Farmers want the corn subsidy but not the ethanol hassles in their equipment which might sit for 6-9 months and then need to work.
Race fuel at the track is $9.00 per gallon....

Just noticed that you're in the heart of ethanol free in Virginia....seems like nearly every town in the Shenandoah Valley has a station with it.....here's a link.....
http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=VA

Thanks ! Think I know where that SS is in Harrisonburg that sells alcohol free 93. Roughly 20 mi from my house smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 15 2014, 12:53 AM) *

100 octane is $8.25 or 8.29 here as I recall. Each full day at the track I use 10-15 gallons -> $125! Plus gas for the tow vehicle too. Yikes.

blink.gif Keeping the cars running is expensive enough... no idea how the hell you guys do it.
BMXerror
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 12 2014, 03:09 PM) *

#1: how do you guys afford this? ...

We don't. We survive it.
Mark D.
Racing916
I have been mixing my own fuel for a few years to save cost. We have a ethanol free station in town. I buy 91 for $4.00 a gallon and mix it 1:1 with 112 leaded ($9.00) a gallon. When I run out at the track then I bite the bullet and by their blend.
Joe Ricard
Street car on 110 octane. now there is a good way to throw away money.

Ethanol free gas is getting more and more available now days. same price as the E15.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 17 2014, 07:40 AM) *

Street car on 110 octane. now there is a good way to throw away money.

Ethanol free gas is getting more and more available now days. same price as the E15.

agree.gif it's why I started this thread. Trying to avoid ethanol is becomming a chore these days & finding premium ethanol free even more so. sad.gif
Joe Ricard
The only thing I can say is drive the car more so gas does not get old and absorb water which will sit in the bottom of the carb and corrode the crap out it.

You could do what I do in my racing karts. Drain the carbs after you are done. Little WD40 in the bottom is a good thing.

PITA on a weber carb.
Randal

Seems like race gas just keeps going up. Last time I bought 5 gallons it was like $80 bucks.

At some point switching injectors and going with E85 starts to make a lot of sense. But with just autox and hillclimbs you don't really use all that much fuel.

Joe Ricard
Yea good for me My Kart only uses about 2 gallons for a race day. about an hour of running. MS 98 is 10 bucks a gallon, which is nothing compared to the 100 bucks in diesel and 30 bucks in generator gas.

naro914
our race car uses 110 octane leaded gas...at $7.75/gallon. We use about 40 gallons in a weekend....do the math....

for the street car, we just use 93 what's at the pump. As noted, drive it more...
brant
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 18 2014, 08:20 AM) *

Yea good for me My Kart only uses about 2 gallons for a race day. about an hour of running. MS 98 is 10 bucks a gallon, which is nothing compared to the 100 bucks in diesel and 30 bucks in generator gas.

100$ in diesel
I like those numbers

our california trips are $1200 in diesel..... each time!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.