Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB The elusive interior light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
David Stowers
I've tried a couple of the VW lights and can't seem to get them to fit satisfactorily so would like an original light in fair useable condition. The car is not a show car by any means so a good used item will be fine.
Photos and a price please
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(David Stowers @ Mar 12 2014, 07:21 PM) *

I've tried a couple of the VW lights and can't seem to get them to fit satisfactorily so would like an original light in fair useable condition. The car is not a show car by any means so a good used item will be fine.
Photos and a price please

The Holy Grail of 914 parts! Good luck in your search.
David Stowers
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 13 2014, 01:37 PM) *

The Holy Grail of 914 parts! Good luck in your search.

For sure!! 80+ views and yours is the only reply, the other 80 are probably checking its not a for sale ad.
boxstr
David, sorry but mine IS a not for sale ad. I keep a nos one in my top desk drawer. dry.gif
Craig at CAMP
David Stowers
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 13 2014, 02:30 PM) *

David, sorry but mine IS a not for sale ad. I keep a nos one in my top desk drawer. dry.gif
Craig at CAMP

Hmm? Thanks (I think?!?)
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 13 2014, 06:30 PM) *

Craig at CAMP

Needs to be in your safety deposit box. biggrin.gif
billh1963
You would think with all this demand that one of our vendors would have made a quality reproduction unit by now
rgalla9146
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 14 2014, 06:30 AM) *

You would think with all this demand that one of our vendors would have made a quality reproduction unit by now

I'm curious........ what is the current fair price ?
orthobiz
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 14 2014, 09:03 PM) *

Unfortunately a "perfect" one is super rare. Unless it is NOS, if it was installed it was subjected to sideways pressure that induced micro cracks that are visible when viewed from sideways angles. And, of course, many left their doors open long enough to cook the plastic in the middle causing melted plastic and burn marks.

That being said, they can go for 100 bucks or more. As I sometimes remind my kids, "life isn't fair."

Paul
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 14 2014, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 14 2014, 06:30 AM) *

Sold the last one I had a few months ago for $150 - smilie_pokal.gif it was in PERFECT condition.
bdstone914
NLA Parts makes this $40 one for a 356 which is close. The wire connections are for a tinned wire end with a set screw. I have also seen the $10 VW ones made to work by bending the tabs to hold it into the back pad.

http://www.stoddard.com/356-1/electrical/b...rior-light.html

boxstr
Personally I like to remove my back pad, and have my upholstery guy fill the hole and cover with new material.
Craig at CAMP
cary
I don't remember where I bought my VW one.
But I too rebent the tabs. That worked for a while. But I ended up making some modifications to the plastic with a Dremel. Now it says put.
JawjaPorsche
On Ebay right now!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-914-6-...f64&vxp=mtr
Steve_R
Are you talking about this light?
Pelican Parts has them for $8.50 in the interior section.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Steve_R @ Apr 10 2014, 09:25 AM) *

No, that is not the original light.

The one you mention has to have some modifications to fit. Plus the blub is extremely close to lens when on which can cause melting. I got one and it looks okay but it is not the original light. I never turn it on but I can. biggrin.gif
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Apr 10 2014, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Apr 10 2014, 09:25 AM) *

No, that is not the original light.

The one you mention has to have some modifications to fit. Plus the blub is extremely close to lens when on which can cause melting. I got one and it looks okay but it is not the original light. I never turn it on but I can. biggrin.gif

Here are reviews on the light on Pelican Parts. Note: This is NOT a knock on Pelican Parts. This is the only light available.

914 Interior Light Fit
By Kevin B., submitted February 28, 2014
Comments: To get the 3 terminal connections, I used pliers and vice grips to bend the metal parts to effectively create a ground tab. So my implementation still allows me to turn on the light when doors are shut. Also had to bend the latch so its notch was further back, so it engages with the upholstery edge. Careful: It's easy to snap these metal parts.

Interior Light for a 914
By Chuck G., submitted March 29, 2013
Comments: This part was not up to the fit quality i would have expected. the latching mechanism on the side that is stable was too short as was the metal latch that is movable to permit bulb replacement. Consequently, the fixture kept popping out of the hole in between the seat. In addition there were only 2 of the 3 original terminal connections provided for on the replacement part. This wasn't nearly as bad as the fitment, as I could get along without being able to turn the lamp on from the switch with the door closed. I wound up Super gluing my original fixture and re-using it.
Followup from the Pelican Staff: Yes, unfortunately, the replacement VW-style lamps have been this way for about 10 years now. The newer ones have a slightly different shape that doesn't fit super-well into the middle of the seats. You can use some tape on the edges to make it thicker, and then it will fit much better.

914 Interior lamp: Careful, double-check the connector fit
By haasman, submitted February 10, 2009
Comments: Ordered this for a 1970 914-6. Surprised that the two + terminals on the light were larger than the connectors in the car. Either the light or the car wiring would need to be modified to fit.
Steve Snyder
Wow, based on that, my older <$5.00 "Hecho en Mexico" Hella replacement lamp that fits and has all three connection tabs in the correct size is looking a lot better.
orthobiz
That eBay ad is Brad Mayeur's: I got my light from him last year! I always call him when I need an oddball part or when I need to know ahead of time the exact condition of the part before I get it.

You can't go wrong with 914ltd.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.