Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refinish door handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
e_artiles
The PO had the outside door handles media blasted, to remove the chrome, and powder coated them black. Time has worn down the powder coating to the base metal. Otherwise, they are in perfect working condition. Can they be re-chromed or should I try to find a new set?
r_towle
Try an ad in the classifieds for a used set.
e_artiles
I know that's the probable final solution. No input on possible re-charming? Has anyone attempted it?
ConeDodger
Why would you not be able to rechrome them? Powdercoating is melted powdered paint. Remove it and bring them to a plating shop.

The previous poster is just pointing out that you can probably easily find used ones and swap in your locks.
Socalandy
The handles are pot metal and if left in the striping tank to long the threads will start to melt away. Tell the chrome shop their pot metal !!! Also, there will be a build up of chrome on the hinge points and back that may need attention to have it work smoothly after the process. This was my experience anyway
URY914
You'll have to disassemble them before you do anything. Be VERY careful then taking the hinge pins out. If you crack or break anything on the flapper they are toast.
e_artiles
Thanks for all the great input...this site has a wealth of knowledge! I will look for replacements and hold on to the originals as a last resort.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.