Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper 914-6 rear bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larmo63
I found a guy who has two of the early rear bumpers today.

Any interest? I can't tell how straight they are, but they looked

good from what I saw.
r_towle
Mint? Yes I am interested in one.
Not mint....I would have to see it.
Johny Blackstain
This is more of an originality & history question, however the way I understand it there isn't much difference between the bumper off of a 4 vs a 6 (not counting 75/76). The difference is in the early models vs the later models. All early 914s had the straight or squarback rear bumper & the later models have the curved bumper. Look @ the back of most 914's & the rear bumper is rounded @ the bottom corners in the license plate area. Early production teeners were not rounded in the lower corners of the plate area. Squareback/straight bumpers are very hard to find & pretty damned expensive.
1st pic is the roundback on my LE. 2nd pic is the squareback off of my 1970 6.
Larmo63
That is actually what I should have said, not just the 6 cylinder cars...
pete000
I am looking for a perfect example and a early front as well...
geshaghi
I'd be interested depending on condition and price, please let me know.
Cairo94507
My understanding is the early bumpers, squared license plate opening, came on the '70 MY cars and maybe some early 71's. My car is a late production '71 and has the later style rounded license plate opening. I have a nice early bumper that of course would go out to be re-chromed, but understand it would not have come on my car from the factory due to the build date. Discussion?

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
I wonder about GTs? I'm pretty sure GT teeners had fiberglass bumpers but were the rear bumpers square or round? confused24.gif
Edit: looks like the GTs were fiberglass squarebacks.
puffinator
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 13 2014, 08:18 AM) *

I wonder about GTs? I'm pretty sure GT teeners had fiberglass bumpers but were the rear bumpers square or round? confused24.gif

I am interested in an early rear bumper. It doesn’t have to be perfect as I can have it straightened and re-chromed at a very reasonable price. Shipping from CA is probably cost prohibitive.
Larmo63
I thought I would throw it out there, I can pursue it for someone, as I'm going back there for more parts. I didn't see the whole bumper(s), but I would assume they need re-chrome and aren't mint. He knows his stuff on Porsches in general, but not the nuances. I'm learning also, pm me if you want pics or really need this part.
pete000
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 13 2014, 06:13 AM) *

My understanding is the early bumpers, squared license plate opening, came on the '70 MY cars and maybe some early 71's. My car is a late production '71 and has the later style rounded license plate opening. I have a nice early bumper that of course would go out to be re-chromed, but understand it would not have come on my car from the factory due to the build date. Discussion?

Click to view attachment

Looks like a nice early bumper, why would it need to be re chromed?

Is it for sale ? drooley.gif
cwpeden
Not to hijack but...is this an early bumper. Not sure where i got it but I liked it better than the one that came on the '73

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Mar 13 2014, 07:18 PM) *
Not to hijack but...is this an early bumper. Not sure where i got it but I liked it better than the one that came on the '73

Yepp, you could probably make a nice profit selling that to a /6 guy ...
smile.gif
sbsix
Andy last time I dropped by EASY in Emoryville they had 5 or 6 early square cut bumpers, some better than others. I bought the nicest one for $100, but it needs rechroming.
cwpeden
Oh sure, burst my bubble...now my kids arent going to university...
Cairo94507
Hi Pete000-
The bumper has a few minor dings and waves in it from years of use. If I were putting it on my Six I would have it straightened and re-chromed. However it is a nice bumper.
sbsix
Didn't mean to burst your bubble! I did get a great deal from EASY on the bumper. I've seen perfect early bumpers going for quite a bit, at least asking price. Not sure if they're selling at the asking price, but they don't seem to be coming up for sale very often these days. Maybe Bruce Stone has one or knows where to find one. Good luck to you.
Cairo94507
So does anyone have the definitive answer when we switched to the rounded/smooth license plate opening vs the hard edged one?

I understand, and I may be wrong, that it was mid-71 MY. I just want to be sure that the rear bumper on my car is correct before I sell my early rear bumper that did not come with my car.
pete000
Where in CA can you get a quality re chrome on a bumper? I have not heard good reports from any shops in the LA area...

I have a couple that are pretty ding free, but need some loving to be perfect.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 14 2014, 08:26 PM) *

So does anyone have the definitive answer when we switched to the rounded/smooth license plate opening vs the hard edged one?

I understand, and I may be wrong, that it was mid-71 MY. I just want to be sure that the rear bumper on my car is correct before I sell my early rear bumper that did not come with my car.

I've been unable to find any definitive info on when they went to the round back, both in the originality & history forums & in my old fashioned books. The only thing I've found for sure is that squarebacks only came in chrome, according to page 30 of Brad Johnsons book on the 914 (both original & revised versions of this book). However, the book also hints @ the existence of the grasshopper on page 20, so I don't have much faith in it's accuracy. laugh.gif
According to Brian Longs book on the 914 (pg. 53) the change to the roundback was for the entire 1971 model year. Knowing how Porsche went about producing model year cars around August of the previous year, I suspect there may have been a few 71 914s with a squareback, but they would have had to have been very early models. Although an outstanding read, this book also mentions the possible existence of the mythical grasshopper on pg 83 so I've lost faith in it as well.
cwpeden
Found out my squareback came off a 71. I'll try to get the VIN
Cairo94507
Johny Blackstain and cwpeden- Thanks for the information. I am tempted to put the square back on my car since its such a limited production piece. But I know the originality crowd will likely flip out…..

Fortunately I have lots of time to make that call.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 15 2014, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 14 2014, 08:26 PM) *

I've been unable to find any definitive info on when they went to the round back, both in the originality & history forums & in my old fashioned books. The only thing I've found for sure is that squarebacks only came in chrome, according to page 30 of Brad Johnsons book on the 914 (both original & revised versions of this book). However, the book also hints @ the existence of the grasshopper on page 20, so I don't have much faith in it's accuracy. laugh.gif
According to Brian Longs book on the 914 (pg. 53) the change to the roundback was for the entire 1971 model year. Knowing how Porsche went about producing model year cars around August of the previous year, I suspect there may have been a few 71 914s with a squareback, but they would have had to have been very early models. Although an outstanding read, this book also mentions the possible existence of the mythical grasshopper on pg 83 so I've lost faith in it as well.

If Johnson says that square bumpers only came in chrome he's wrong.
I have a pretty nice green one right here.
This is probably where the whole notion of "6 " rear bumpers comes from.
In 1970......and probably into 1971, 4 cyl. cars came with a painted "square" rear bumper. Unless.....! it was an appearance group car or a 6, then it would have been chrome.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 17 2014, 02:02 PM) *

If Johnson says that square bumpers only came in chrome he's wrong.
I have a pretty nice green one right here.
This is probably where the whole notion of "6 " rear bumpers comes from.
In 1970......and probably into 1971, 4 cyl. cars came with a painted "square" rear bumper. Unless.....! it was an appearance group car or a 6, then it would have been chrome.

This does not surprise me @ all- there's a discussion about the accuracy of Johnsons book over in O&H & how full of stromberg.gif it is. But it's not alone; 3 of the books I have on the teener mention that LE's came in white w/ green accents & that's just not so-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.