Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Catalytic Converter (California)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
wolle914
Hi:

My MY 76 914er came from California and is equipped with a catalytic converter. Unfortunately, the temperature sensor for the catalyst is missing. However, the catalytic converter in my car seems to be a replacement part and not the original part as the port for mounting the temperature sensor at the downstream portion of the converter is not provided. As I want to bring my car as close as possible to the original status I need to know where the temperature sensor port is placed at the catalytic converter so that I can retrofit it accordingly. This port must be provided at the catalyst; it is not the port for the EGR line downstream of the cat.

Can anyone post a photo of an original catalytic converter of a teener where this port is to be seen ?

Thanks a lot !

Wolfram
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(wolle914 @ Mar 13 2014, 05:07 AM) *

Hi:

My MY 76 914er came from California and is equipped with a catalytic converter. Unfortunately, the temperature sensor for the catalyst is missing. However, the catalytic converter in my car seems to be a replacement part and not the original part as the port for mounting the temperature sensor at the downstream portion of the converter is not provided. As I want to bring my car as close as possible to the original status I need to know where the temperature sensor port is placed at the catalytic converter so that I can retrofit it accordingly. This port must be provided at the catalyst; it is not the port for the EGR line downstream of the cat.

Can anyone post a photo of an original catalytic converter of a teener where this port is to be seen ?

Thanks a lot !

Wolfram

welcome.png I wish I could help you but I have no knowledge on this subject, since both my cars never came with a cat. Be patient, although not as active as the garage, someone here in originality & history will be able to help you out with the information you need. smile.gif
PancakePorsche
QUOTE(wolle914 @ Mar 13 2014, 02:07 AM) *

Hi:

Thanks a lot !

Wolfram

Just thew one away lately but what I can tell you is it was a male pipe stub mounted on the middle of the "out" cone. The sensor is only a J thermocouple that had a 90 degree bend with the red/white wires and it screwed onto the pipe stub putting the probe in the exhaust stream. The little module in the trunk just reads EGT from the thermocouple and sends a signal to the dash light if EGT is too high (fouled plug or ignition miss to prevent overheating damage to the reactor) The light will also come on with the counter located in the passenger footwell which needs to be manually reset.

Hope this helps somewhat. Tom
Simular type thermocouples are available from supply houses such as Plastic Process Equipment (PPE) or IMS (injection molding supply) for about $30 or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.