Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Sway Bar Bushing Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I was tentative about doing this after reading others comments about what a bitch this can be. I've also read the opposite but no one offered up their method. One even said they used a bar clamp which I couldn't figure out how without a hole in the fender. confused24.gif First, I should mention that mine is a stock 15mm so all the fittings used are for this size only. You guy's think I do all this by myself but the truth is I have 2 helpers.

Click to view attachment

First order is the pot of boiling water which will soften the bushing somewhat

Click to view attachment

Then a piece of 1.5" pipe. Plastic (ABS, PVC or steel, all have the same ID)

Click to view attachment

The pipe is used to steady and center the bushing.

Click to view attachment

Next, the pipe is stood on end. The piece of plate steel beneath it is to protect the epoxy finish on the floor. Then the bar is stood upon the bushing. I used the drawer handle to hold the upper portion in place. This was necessary as my helper have no hands. dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Then a quick tap on the bar with the 10lb sledge hammer ( a 3lb also works as you'll see) and presto, the first end is done

Click to view attachment

Then push the bar thru the L wheel well, slide it thru the 2 interior re-inforcement plates and back out thru the R wheel well. Next, I made a tool to install the other bushing. For the 15mm bushing I used: 1- 1/2"x18" steel pipe, 1- 3/4"x1/2" reducer, 1-3/4"x6" nipple, 1-1.25"x3/4" reducer. If your bushing is larger you will need to adjust sizes accordingly. The 1/2" pipe would not change but the reducers will. The larger reducer is used to "seat" the bushing and your sway bar must be able to pass thru the other side of the reducer. For example, if the OD of the "square" end is 1.25" the small end of the reducer should be 1.25" as well as the 6" nipple that will screw into that end. Looks like I get paid by the word but that's as short as I could make it.

Click to view attachment

Since I would be driving the busing onto the bar this time I placed a pair of vice grips on the bar against the raised boss for a "back-up".

Click to view attachment

One solid whack with a 3lb hand sledge and it slid right on.

Click to view attachment

Then bolt her up

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sbsix
good garage help is hard to find
bulitt
Cool! I just slit mine with a razor blade.
luskesq
Your tips and photo are very informative as well as timely, I'm getting ready to do mine soon. Much appreciated.

Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.