Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matching Engine Numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ken6432
I just purchased a 74 914 that has a 2.2L engine in it. The particular engine in it is not the original block. A second engine that came with the car is supposedly the original engine that was rebuilt to also be a 2.2L. I have two questions.

1. How do I tell if the one engine is the original? I know where the numbers are on the block, but should they match part of the VIN number if it is original?

2. One of the engines will be sold and one will stay with the car. If the one engine is the original, but has been modified, should I put it back in the car for resale value or just leave the one that is in it there?

Thanks for the help.
Ken
SLITS
QUOTE(Ken6432 @ Mar 14 2014, 09:34 AM) *

I just purchased a 74 914 that has a 2.2L engine in it. The particular engine in it is not the original block. A second engine that came with the car is supposedly the original engine that was rebuilt to also be a 2.2L. I have two questions.

1. How do I tell if the one engine is the original? I know where the numbers are on the block, but should they match part of the VIN number if it is original?NO

2. One of the engines will be sold and one will stay with the car. If the one engine is the original, but has been modified, should I put it back in the car for resale value or just leave the one that is in it there?Original code is GA. If GC they are '75-'76

Thanks for the help.
Ken

Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
Only way I know of finding out what engine belongs in the car is to get a COA (certificate of authenticity) from Porsche of America, unless you have the original bill of sale from the dealer. They are expensive, take months to get & are practicaly worthless but it should give you the right engine number. Meantime have the one that's out of the car thoroughly inspected to make sure everything is OK.
A car with a matching number engine is always going to be worth more than something that was replaced, Porsche or not.
Nozzle
agree.gif

The exterior and interior color along with the engine number on the car matched the COA but just about everything else was wrong. dry.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Ken6432 @ Mar 14 2014, 08:34 AM) *

1. How do I tell if the one engine is the original? I know where the numbers are on the block, but should they match part of the VIN number if it is original?

2. One of the engines will be sold and one will stay with the car. If the one engine is the original, but has been modified, should I put it back in the car for resale value or just leave the one that is in it there?

Thanks for the help.
Ken

welcome.png

Numbers matching on the engine really only matters if the rest of the car is stock. An unmolested, original car will have greater value with a numbers matching engine. If the car has been modified, the numbers on the engine won't make a difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.