Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission stops working when hot?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe22
My transmission has been a little finicky lately, essentially the problem seems to be that while the car shifts well initially, it gets harder to get into and out of gear as I drive it through the day. The clutch seems to work fine but the stick gets sloppier making it impossible to get into any gear. But then wait a day and it's good to go the next day.

While I do have a very slight transmission leak, it's not enough to even puddle up notably and for the record I did add transmission fluid recently to see if that would help.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

wndsnd
popcorn[1].gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Joe22 @ Mar 14 2014, 12:27 PM) *

I did add transmission fluid recently to see if that would help.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

Maybe you should try gear oil instead of transmission fluid... blink.gif
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
Joe22
Thanks for the welcome and I'm using Swepco 201 (recommended for 914, etc.)
SLITS
Best oil is good ol' dino 90 wt gear oil. Hellva lot cheaper too!

And exactly who says, "recommended for 914" .... the entity selling it? It defeats the synchros.
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
Teeners are notorious for the "spoon in a bowl of soup" feeling when it comes to shifting gears. Probably lots of bushings to replace & lots of adjusting to do as well. If I remember my owners manual right the gear oil needs to be changed as often as the engine oil, or there abouts. That's going to be expensive using swepco- I use penzoil 80w-90 in my LE & mobil 1 75w-90 in my six & have had no tranny issues. Wait till later when Dr. Evil (our resident tranny guru) logs in & do whatever he says beer.gif
stugray
Any chance you bought the cheap replacement shift bushings recently?

Years ago the AA shift bushings were so bad they wore out in a couple of months and I put back in the stock (broken) bushings instead.

I can only imagine that the bushings are getting hot after driving and softening up...

You didnt say if it is a tail or side shift.
dw914six
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 14 2014, 12:11 PM) *

welcome.png
Teeners are notorious for the "spoon in a bowl of soup" feeling when it comes to shifting gears. Probably lots of bushings to replace & lots of adjusting to do as well. If I remember my owners manual right the gear oil needs to be changed as often as the engine oil, or there abouts. That's going to be expensive using swepco- I use penzoil 80w-90 in my LE & mobil 1 75w-90 in my six & have had no tranny issues. Wait till later when Dr. Evil (our resident tranny guru) logs in & do whatever he says beer.gif

agree.gif I agree we need the Doc to chime in.

Hey Doc...what is best for the 901 tranny? confused24.gif I am about to reinstall and we were going to use Swepco, which this thread suggests is not the best idea. dry.gif
Based on the info, I don't think just adding oil will solve the problem....unless it's like 50% filled. Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.