Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fitting a NEW Head Temp Sensor on 914/4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lennyhope
Hi folks.

I am trying to fit a new head temp sensor to my 1.7. I cannot find a way to get a new one in place! Any suggestions as to tricks as to how to do it? I am getting desperate now!! sad.gif
stugray
Supposedly you can get it in without removing any FI parts.

You need a deep socket and you can tuck the wire inside the socket.
Otherwise, use a cheap socket and cut a slot in it for the wire to stick out.
luskesq
I took a cheap 3/8" extension (2"), cut a slot up one of the corners on the male end, large enough for the wire to fit into (it is a small wire so it isn't a big slot. I used a dremel to cut the slot but I suppose you could even grind one of the corners. Put the sensor in your socket and position the wire in the appropriate corner where your extension will go in and install (with some anti-seize). The slot really doesn't appreciably weaken the extension for other use but I used a cheapie HF one.

Might also want to use a drop of crazy glue on the crush washer to keep it from falling off the sensor when installing.

Good luck,

Keith

Good luck.
GaroldShaffer
Did this last fall. Found it to be a PITA mad.gif Like about stated I took a 13mm deep socket and cut a slot in it for the wire. I used a little grease to hold the washer on the sensor. The socket with a swivel head on it and was able to get it in.

In the past I found it just easier to pull the intake runners to do it. I didn't need to remove them completely just held them up enough to be out of the way. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 14 2014, 05:43 PM) *

I bought a deep socket for $5. Tucked the wire inside. Used a bit of painters tape to hold everything secure. Took 5 minutes.
tod914
If you don't want to cut up a socket, you can feed the wire through the socket and tighten it with a screw driver. A large flat tipped screw driver will fit where the the socket attaches to the ratchet. Vise grips on the screw driver and your good to go!
mepstein
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 14 2014, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 14 2014, 05:43 PM) *

I bought a deep socket for $5. Tucked the wire inside. Used a bit of painters tape to hold everything secure. Took 5 minutes.

Honestly, a deep socket from the local hardware store will work great. no cutting or vise grips required. they are sold seperate for ~$5. Since the wire gets tucked inside, there is no way to damage t against the engine tin.
barefoot
Slightly OT, but my 1.7 does not have any heat temp sensor, not sure if it's only to feed into the FI system, or if it goes to a dash gage measuring heat temp, sorry to be so un-informed, help me out here.
jimkelly
see #63

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91491<br />
brant
QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 16 2014, 08:41 AM) *

Slightly OT, but my 1.7 does not have any heat temp sensor, not sure if it's only to feed into the FI system, or if it goes to a dash gage measuring heat temp, sorry to be so un-informed, help me out here.

there are 2 different head temp sensors
one screws into the block for fuel injection
the other on a spark plug for a gauge

if you have (or want) a running fuel injection then you have a head temp sensor
if you use carbs, then its not needed for the F.I.

brant
cary
It's a sensor for the fuel injection system.
Not an oil temp sensor.

You'll seen a fine wire coming out of a hole in the engine tin right above the #3 cylinder.
lennyhope
Managed it with finger tips and long reach socket 13mm
rgalla9146
QUOTE(lennyhope @ Mar 16 2014, 10:57 AM) *

Managed it with finger tips and long reach socket 13mm

I got a cheap, deep 13mm socket, ground a hole (not a slot) in the side to feed the wire through.
But now I see Tod's idea. Beautiful, effective, simple.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.