Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Megasquirt dyno day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
Blair and I made it to the Blood Enterprises shop and met up with Dave Hunt just in time. Kevin showed up a few minutes later and we got to watch Dave convince the owner that this is the day scheduled to do the dyno work and we weren't going away.
Finally, things were straighten out and the car got on the dyno. Dave was running his laptop to tune the car while the dynoguy was operating the car on the dyno. Made several baseline runs so Dave could calibrate his O2 sensor software to the dyno set up. Then the first real pass the 74 2.0L made 73.5hp, not too bad. Then the work started with multiple runs adjusting the A/F curve trying to get the mix close and flat. Had to big spikes in it that had to be fixed. Almost 2 hours later the last pass produced 80.5hp and a better fuel curve without the big spikes.
I test drove the car and it was really smooth, lots of torque.
Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 28 2003, 04:31 PM)
80.5hp and a better fuel curve without the big spikes.

80.5 at the wheels. not bad!
any (stock) dyno-sheets to compare to?

Andy
airsix
Were you guys just working on wide-open-throttle pulls, or did you do tuning under light loads too? Weren't the tuning problems Dave was having regarding light-load cruising? Did this get worked out? 80.5hp at the wheels sounds great for a 2.0 w/ stock internals. Brad/others, what's a baseline for comparison? (ie what will a stock d-jet 2.0 put to the ground?)

At any rate, congrats to Dave on the megasquirt conversion sucess. I'd say 80.5hp to the wheels is sucess indeed.

-Ben M.
Brad Roberts
99.8 fully tuned Djet set on kill. Header/K+N/Euro P+C's with timing set at 30deg. on 91 octane... with quiet muffler (street legal) Open made 101 hp

80 some odd is perfect for a mid-high mileage engine with stock P+C's.

I think Mueller and I tuned something like 73-75 hp in less than 1 hour with the MS. Didnt really try because Mueller didnt want to spend the cashola...

I have tested bone stock high mileage engines with headers (no tuning) and have seen 75-80 quite frequently.

I think he done good.. << Gomer Pyle voice

B
Aaron Cox
how much does dyno time run an hour?
Bleyseng
Here it was $125 an hour. I think the other shop is at $90 and hour.
Geoff
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 28 2003, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 28 2003, 04:31 PM)
80.5hp and a better fuel curve without the big spikes.

80.5 at the wheels. not bad!
any (stock) dyno-sheets to compare to?

Andy

Here are the recent dyno results for Ed Carlson's 2.0. He rebuilt his motor in '99 and it is stock except for the fact that he had it balanced and he has a Crane points replacement system. The stock d-jet seems to do a very good job.

IPB Image
Andyrew
Hooo doggies, some numbers to look forward too!! BTW, Once I get the stupid

engine in, what the drive train HP loss percentage? I'll be doing some tests on a

gtec, and tuning with that. (if I can tune) What else should I do while the engine is

out (to the engine)? I am converting back to fuel injection, and I will be cleaning the

engine as best I can. I also will be putting on aluminum valve covers I got for 20

bucks. Anything else I can do? I have a very limited budget, so im not going to do a

full blown rebuild. Im going to take the tin off, clean the grime off the engine and tin,

and paint the tin. I will also be fixing the battery tray rust, what should I use to take

off the surface rust so when I weld up metal and Por-15 it? Thanks guys!
rhodyguy
it was interesting, and there were a few humorus moments. i think that the guy running the test was more accustomed to verticle gate shifters in big american iron. one run he put it in reverse. the car started crab crawling sideways across the drums. ' WHOA, YOU'VE GOT THE CAR IN REVERSE!!" geoff, blair and i were standing behind the the car at the time ohmy.gif . "ah, you guys might want to stand off to one side". who says the shifters in these car can be a bit vague. don't feel bad about the money we throw at our cars. there was a nova/chevell there w/ a buick turbo v6 grand am engine, more other mods than i can remember. $40-50 g min. when did the topics/ replies start running so wide across the screen?

kevin
airsix
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 29 2003, 03:57 AM)
when did the topics/ replies start running so wide across the screen?

It does that when someone posts a large picture. Resize your pictures to something like 640 pixels wide or less before posting, and everything will stay nice - no horizontal scrolling.

-Ben M.
Jeff Krieger
How do you resize pictures? Do you need a special program? When I used the software that came with my HP scanner to crop the edges of a pic, the size ballooned from about 300k to over 2.0 mb! Same thing happens when I try to reduce the dimensions of a pic.
Bleyseng
I use Adode Photoshop Elements to resize pics for the web
open the pic
go to Image>resize
set the dpi to 72, then the size to 640 hit ok
then File>save to web, set it to jpeg, then adjust it to high, and the file should be under 200k, then ok.
There you have a small for the web jpeg pic, about 640 which is about a 5x7pic.
You can do the avatars here too.
Geoff
Jeff Krieger
Sounds expensive (I don't have PhotoShop). I guess you guys are just going to have to suffer. tongue.gif
Brad
Resize your pics. Use IrfanView. Its free.

Dont make the "Bad Brad Moderator" come out in me. You wont like me when I'm a Moderator.

B
SirAndy
if you have Win2000, it comes with the "Microsoft Photo Editor" which lets you resize pictures easily.

the program is called "PhotoEd.exe" and can usually be found here:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd

open the pic with it, go to the "Image" then "Resize",
select "Pixels" as the "Unit" and specify a new size ...
then save ...

Andy
seanery
I'm sure you can find a "demo" version of photoshop on Kazaa.
Gint
Go get IrfanView. It will do a lot of cool stuff.
Dman
There are a ton of programs out there that will resize pictures, Photoshop, photo deluxe, image expert, photo impact illustrator etc.

Chances are if you ever purchased a digital camera the software that comes with the camera will include a photo editor.
anthony
Microsoft Photo Editor sucks!!! Actually it works ok and has a decent interface but the quality of the jpegs it makes sucks. Irfanview will produce a much higher quality end product. Irfanview is a little harder to learn though. Some of the things it will do are not intuitive. I also like Irfanview's batch features. For example you can easily could reduce, sharpen, and save a whole folders worth of photos.
Bleyseng
Photoshop Elements is $99 and it does tons of editing. Well worth the $$
Course I take tons of pics with the digital and Monique has won 2nd prize ($300) in a local photo contest. I have them printed at Ofoto.com, all online uploading/ordering.
Geoff
Gint
IrfanView is FREE!
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ May 29 2003, 04:31 PM)
Microsoft Photo Editor sucks!!!

yeah, but it comes with your winpuke.
if you just wanna shrink a pic to post it here and nothing else, then who cares ????

Andy
Bleyseng
True, but Elements is a good program that does alot more. For just resizing go with the freebie!
Geoff
Gint
IrfanView does more than just resize. Not everybody is a photo CW. tongue.gif For digi-pics of teener parts to post on a BBS? I'll take the freebie.
Bleyseng
I have a degree in Photography so that's my hobby besides 914's. I have IrfanView on the laptop I just find Elements easier to use.
Geoff
Jeff Krieger
I downloaded IrfanView and it worked great for resizing my pics. I'll check later to see if it installed spyware on my computer. BTW, what happened to the "African Scams..." thread? Every time I turn around, some thread I've contributed to (and that Brad started) gets deleted.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Jeff Krieger @ May 29 2003, 04:45 PM)
" Every time I turn around, some thread I've contributed to (and that Brad started) gets deleted.

hey B, does it have to do w/ space? or is it you just dont like jeff biggrin.gif jk.... at one time there were 24 pages of threads...currently there are 16...why is this? are you eliminating OT stuff or just anything old?
Bleyseng
Brad only has so much space on his old 386 computer, guys!
We shouldn't waste too much space with OT chatter.
Geoff
seanery
I saw the server, its an 8086!!!
914werke
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 28 2003, 06:01 PM)
Here it was $125 an hour. I think the other shop is at $90 and hour.
Geoff

What was the "other shop"? This one: http://www.carbconn.com , sniffing around Goodman's Ferrari Open Wharehouse event, I followed the link to th NW Ferarri Club site and noticed they have a Dyno day upcoming at the above shop. I sent off an email to the club Treasurer asking if we could come and join the fun and the response was sure but only ten cars could be accomadated, Ferarri's first. At get this $75 a car! smile.gif
I suggest our local group put together such an event. beerchug.gif
Qarl
If you download Microsoft Powertoys for Windows, it adds a feature to Windows that you can just right click on any file and then click resize.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/dow...s/powertoys.asp

Then click on Image Resizer...

It will give you 4 common sizes to resize the image to (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, or 240x320 for a handheld PC). It also gives you the option to resize the original file or resize it to a new file.

It works great because you can highlight 30 files in a directory, right click and resize them all in about 10 seconds without having to go into a photo edtor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.