Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Qarl's NEW 914-6-GT Street Car Conversion Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Qarl
A continuation of the original thread...

914 GT Build Thread

2014 Progress Thread...

Figure I'd post some pics...

In between I've been sorting out the body... basically marking up problems with a sharpie and noting all my issues for the new body guy.

I've been mock fitting some fiberglass rocker panels and valences. Drilling holes for oil lines in driver's rocker area. I also fitted the front oil cooler shroud.

Today I had to do some fitment of the Engman inner longs. I had to punch holes for the Rich Johnson Engine mount through-bolts that are inside the tub... and trim some areas that were a little tight, etc.

IPB Image

Here are doors, bumpers and Engman inner long stiffening kits.

IPB Image

I admired Dr. Evil's Tranny work...

IPB Image

Dusted off the 3.2L Short Stroke, with 98mm P&Cs, modified S-cams, 46mm Webers, and a bunch of internal goodies...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

A new "Lost Warehouse" discovered... Almost everything refurbished or new.

I've spent 3-4 days sorting through ALL the parts. Placing things in bins by body area (brakes, transmission, electrical, trim, interior, oil, fuel, etc.)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
biosurfer1
You've had THAT engine sitting in your garage for years?!?! That thing is motivation enough!

Good luck Karl! piratenanner.gif
speed metal army
Nice stuff! I love new goodies. smile.gif
Qarl
I almost forgot one of the added benefits of the new garage!

Free flowing BEER

IPB Image

I built an electric brewery a couple of years ago!

IPB Image
rick 918-S
Oh ya! You'll get a lot of volunteers when it comes time to assemble that bad boy! Free flowing beer.... happy11.gif
CptTripps
That's pretty great. I don't drink, but I'm great at buying/pouring, and can appreciate good engineering.

...the car stuff is nice too.
GeorgeRud
Looks like you're ready for assembly. That car should be a rockets hip when it's done!

Enjoy the build in good health.
TheCabinetmaker
I've followed this and your life with your son since the beginning. I think one of those parts on the shelf are from me. Great to see you back.
Luke M
Welcome back to the world Qarl.

piratenanner.gif
Speedmster
Karl, I'm glad to see your project has re-ignited. I remember going to your website and reading about your build. Very nice. That new garage you've built with your house is awesome!
JeffBowlsby
drooley.gif Get 'er done!
TJB/914
QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 15 2014, 12:55 AM) *

Free flowing BEER

IPB Image

IPB Image

Karl & I just shared emails about cars, family's, etc & it's wonderful to have Karl back!! pray.gif Met Karl back in 2004 & he is still the same old Karl we love.
Welcome back Karl.
Tom
wndsnd
popcorn[1].gif
Ferg
Wow, fun build. I had that exact motor that was supposed to go into my Carrera, then they became to valuable to modify. Never got to use it sad.gif . That's gonna SCREAM when done.

beerchug.gif

mepstein
Always liked this pic piratenanner.gif
spare time toys
As I was looking at the photos of parts all I could think is how smart it was to pre buy all those parts way back when because if you had to get them today $$$$$. Buy and sit its a good plan. lol. Once again welcome back.
bcheney
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Mar 15 2014, 10:41 PM) *

As I was looking at the photos of parts all I could think is how smart it was to pre buy all those parts way back when because if you had to get them today $$$$$. Buy and sit its a good plan. lol. Once again welcome back.

Great looking stuff!
Mark Henry
Nice! piratenanner.gif
Montreal914
Beautiful project and nice setup! beer.gif
Qarl
Started cleaning up grinding the edges of the chassis reinforcements (a lot of slopping welds and splatter).

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I located the oil cooler hose holes in the driver's longitudinal and the front wheel well. Have to still drill in the footwell.

I grafted two round grommets together into a figure-8 to fit in the center triangle. (no pics), but it will work out well

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I also pulled out the grommet that the fuel lines go through in the front of the tunnel. Will clean it up and enlarge the holes in preparation of installing Tangerine's stainless fuel lines!

IPB Image
Qarl
Little notches I had to cut in Engman's long for the RJ engine mount through bolts.

Next step... enlarge ALL the freaking weld holes in the kit! Ugh!

IPB Image
Qarl
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 15 2014, 01:47 PM) *

Always liked this pic piratenanner.gif

Yep... that house sold finally. Took 3 1/2 years. That was one of the reason the project was on hold Floating mortages and property taxes and upkeep on two houses for over 3 years. F-k me!
Andyrew
Congrats on the renewed vigor and welcome back! A drill press would be great for those holes.

I welded mine without enlarging the holes, just set the welder really hot so It ate away the metal a bit to make the hole larger naturally.
Qarl
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 16 2014, 08:23 PM) *

Congrats on the renewed vigor and welcome back! A drill press would be great for those holes.

I welded mine without enlarging the holes, just set the welder really hot so It ate away the metal a bit to make the hole larger naturally.

Any idea how big to enlarge them to?

Andyrew
If I remember correctly I've seen people make them as big as an inch. The thought is more surface contact between the reinforcement and the panel. I think the effects here are so negligible that no one could even feel it.

If it were me I'd make them about 3/4", there about 1/2" right now right? Whatever there at now, I'd say make them 1/4" larger.

When I did mine I filled in the welds completely, I've seen many people just do the outside connecting weld. Less heat to the long, sure but thats giving away some potential strength (I mean why even enlarge them at that point?)
URY914
See if you can find a sheetmetal shop that has a punch. That will take care of the holes quick.
Maltese Falcon
Karl , I made your shipment today...track # on your pm.
The yellow gt is HOT !
Thank you for your order,
Marty
bulitt
QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 16 2014, 08:10 PM) *

Little notches I had to cut in Engman's long for the RJ engine mount through bolts.

Next step... enlarge ALL the freaking weld holes in the kit! Ugh!

IPB Image

The bigger the holes the longer the heat in that area. If you go that route be mindful. I do recall that Engman enlarged the holes on the latter version.
iamchappy
Qarl is going to have a hard time with this boys, that tap room is only a few steps away from that car, and there's things other than beer that he's been making in there......... Yum,Yum.... beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif
Qarl
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 17 2014, 08:50 PM) *

Qarl is going to have a hard time with this boys, that tap room is only a few steps away from that car, and there's things other than beer that he's been making in there......... Yum,Yum.... beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif

Started refitting the seat bases, supports and brackets (from Restoration Design).

Mine were removed, so I am re-installing them.
Qarl
I drilled the weld holes in the bases for the seats brackets and started refitting the seat brackets.

Drilled 2 more oil line holes through the driver's footwell.

Made a weld-in patch for a fuck up I did a few weeks ago.

Removed the front hood and cleaned up the underside. Need to do some small fiberglass repair this weekend.

Started enlarging the weld holes in the Engman long kit.

Had a beer... or three!

IPB Image
URY914
Good to have you back. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
rock on!!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif . for new folks that may not know, the dancing banana IS Qarl!! older times….
Eric_Shea
Q. Can you come install a bar in the shop please?
Qarl
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 29 2014, 12:33 PM) *

I have a 3 tap keggerator and brewery in the garage... does that count?

And a still... shhhhhhh
Downunderman
Step drill. You can make them as big as you like.
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/D1071

Cheers,
iamchappy
Qarl getting ready to consume beer.gif some Signal Yellow and terrorize w00t.gif the neighbors... piratenanner.gif

Qarl
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Mar 29 2014, 02:25 PM) *

Step drill. You can make them as big as you like.
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/D1071

Cheers,

Yep, started using the step drill last night and just made them one step larger. Not too big, though. Will be harder to fill.
Qarl

Eric... does this count?

beerchug.gif

IPB Image

Qarl
QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 29 2014, 04:32 PM) *

Eric... does this count?

beerchug.gif

IPB Image

I built this brewery 2 years ago...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 14 2014, 09:55 PM) *

Free flowing BEER

Adopt me, please! biggrin.gif
Qarl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 29 2014, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Qarl @ Mar 14 2014, 09:55 PM) *

Free flowing BEER

Adopt me, please! biggrin.gif

Shop day.

Hung ceiling power coil

Hung ceiling air coil (but still need to run a line to the other side of the garage whee the compressor is.

Redid the blast cabinet (cleaned out old glass, installed new work gloves, viewport protector, and added casters to the bottom

IPB Image

IPB Image
CptTripps
I've bought a lot of that stuff and never installed it. My garage isn't worthy yet.

Rock on man. Those braces are headed your way this week.
Qarl
Diversion today.

Had taken the Exige S out a few days ago and she started running rough. I had just changed out the Mass Air Flow sensor, so suspected something was amiss.

Reset the ECU and tried to let it recalibrate, and still ran poor... hmm...

Did some digging and fount out that the intake boot clamp had slipped off the coupling. Had the wifey apply some pressure to get it fully seated and reclamped the intake. (4 hands were better than 2)

Changed out the plugs and added some dielectric grease to the coil packs.

Added some Techron fuel cleaner and topped off with some fresh gas.

Reset the ECU and took her for a spin... all is well now.

This beast purrs like a kitten... (All 350 HP from the little 1.8L motor)!!!!

IPB Image
Qarl
Media blasted some more parts before sending off to plating. (I think I have to gather just a few more parts.

IPB Image

IPB Image
2mAn
nice vans! haha
jfort
glad to see you are back at, Karl. git'r done!!
Qarl
QUOTE(jfort @ Apr 14 2014, 04:37 PM) *

Met with the new body guy today to start creating a "plan".

ConeDodger
Q, as your adviser on health issues, I find myself compelled to warn you that you dare not consume that much beer. evilgrin.gif

You should really send a keg of it to WCR 2014 Teeners at Tahoe II...

Just sayin' lol-2.gif av-943.gif
bcheney
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 14 2014, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(jfort @ Apr 14 2014, 04:37 PM) *

Met with the new body guy today to start creating a "plan".

Way to go Qarl...great to see another custom 914 coming to life in Orlando!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.