Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello and info needed for valves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rekojoker
Hello. I'm joker on other forums, I'm Not sure if I should be posting here or will get kicked out straight away, but I'm currently running 914 engines in a 1972 VW double cab

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have 2 engines, a 1.7 WO with 40mm dellorto carbs and LA performance exhaust putting out around 100hp and an 1.8 AN.

On return from the above drag strip a rocker shaft sheared and I've suffered some noun or damage to an exhaust valve. The questions I have are, where is it possible to buy valves for these engines? I understand that they're all odd sizes valves compared to the usual 'type 4 bus engines' and that they also have sodium filled valves. Is this last point correct, and if so where do you guys get them from?

I plan to take the AN code engine up to a 2056 with 44 weber idf's, web cam, vintage speed exhaust hoping to push around 140hp to get me a better strip time, sub 18 second at least. The 1.7 will go back to being a street engine.

Hope you can help, the usual VW suppliers in the UK carry the usual bus engine parts but its hard to find listings for 914 engine parts
Thanks smile.gif
SLITS
Sodium filled exhaust valves were fitted to the 914s. The current SS valves are probably better anyway.

The 1.7 heads (W engine) have 33 mm exhaust valves.

The 1.8 heads (AN engine) have 34 mm exhaust valves.

1.7 / 1.8 Porsche 914 engines are the same as their MY Type 2 counterpart (with the exception of the dipstick location).
bandjoey
You'll be hard pressed to move ahead of our joker crowd!

Cool looking motor. Is that a home made exhaust? welcome.png
bdstone914
European Motorworks sells valves. I do not see any in the 33-34 mm size. You could go with bigger valves and seats.
http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/vw/type-4-valves.html
Mark Henry
IIRC Only the 2.0 had the soduim valves.

Best source is to get SS valves from SI Valve.
PanelBilly
Another smart ass. Just what we need. I suppose you drink and make remarks to threads too ( that is a requirement in the sandbox by the way).

Oh and welcome
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

We like all things 914 or T4
rekojoker
Thanks all. I'll take a look at the EMW website. I'm probably going to get both sets of heads rebuilt anyway just wasn't sure if it was necessary to go with specific 914 parts

The exhaust in the photo is from LA performance in the UK.

The engines in bits now, down to short block any way. I have a melted exhaust valve and melted spark plug on #2. No visible cracks on the heads so far. Had a rocker shaft shear off and the engine let go, never seen so much smoke. As it appeared fubar I made the decision to carryon driving the last 45 miles home. Pistons and barrels all look to be good but guess the least I'll need is bearings, rings, maybe a cam. I've been looking to build something bigger for a whole and I've got a few type 4 engines now, built my first bus engine a couple of years ago, an AP bus engine with AN heads and caught the bug so I've now got a collection of engines. Guess the 1.7 was a bit too small for dragging the doka up the day strip. I did 6 runs and a 300 mile round trip and it let go close to home
smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
And we DON'T like people with thin shins or no sense of humor.

welcome.png

I'm Cap'n Krusty and I approve this message.

Curious? Ask a stupid question and find out why I'm called Krusty!

rekojoker
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 15 2014, 04:40 PM) *

And we DON'T like people with thin shins or no sense of humor.

welcome.png

I'm Cap'n Krusty and I approve this message.

Curious? Ask a stupid question and find out why I'm called Krusty!

Haha, I'll take you on! I'm a joker not a clown and can take a laugh. I've got thick skin. And shins
smile.gif
rekojoker
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 15 2014, 04:14 PM) *

welcome.png

We like all things 914 or T4

Cool. I only have type 4 engines. I get in trouble over here for denigrating the type 1 lawnmower engines. Type 4 are a bit misunderstood in England as they weren't so common but they're gaining in popularity. A lot of people are converting to scooby power but I want to stay aircooled type 4 for now. Here are my rides;

IPB Image
1972 deluxe I imported from San Diego and built a 1700 type 4 for, 1974 tintop from South Africa with my AP engine.

IPB Image

1972 crew cab from South Africa wheels are audi Quattro.

I've always fancied a 914 but they're not common over here so the only option is an import from the US. I don't know enough about them to know if I was buying a pup needing a lot of work and parts here would be almost impossible to source.
smile.gif
Mike Bellis
We have a few UK members here. Between this site and DDK you can find any 914 part you need.

beerchug.gif
KELTY360
How dare you show up on this site talking about VW Transporters and Double Cabs. Don't you know this is a Porsche site?

Oh, wait, 914s aren't real Porsches....my bad.....carry on.
rekojoker
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 16 2014, 01:56 AM) *

How dare you show up on this site talking about VW Transporters and Double Cabs. Don't you know this is a Porsche site?

Oh, wait, 914s aren't real Porsches....my bad.....carry on.

914 power though...
smile.gif
Mblizzard
I am pretty sure I have some 33mm exhaust valves that are new and SS fm you can't find them over there let me know.
rekojoker
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Mar 16 2014, 10:59 AM) *

I am pretty sure I have some 33mm exhaust valves that are new and SS fm you can't find them over there let me know.

Will do thanks smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.