Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
geshaghi
I have a pair of 914/6 heat exchangers, but the header pipes on one side (I believe it is the passenger side) are thin and rusted through in several spots. The sheet metal is in good shape, and the other side is useable. Given that these original parts are now essentially unobtainium, I'm wondering if repair is possible. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?
Click to view attachment
914itis
I think they can.
geshaghi
QUOTE(914itis @ Mar 15 2014, 02:43 PM) *

I think they can.

I've taken them to a couple of muffler shops, no one wants to try. The concern is that the pipes are rusty and thin and any attempt to weld would result in burn through of the metal. Any suggestions on how to approach this? Anyone no any muffler shops in SoCal that might be willing to tackle this? Thanks
mepstein
Cut off the shell. Have new headers made. repair shells and reweld to new headers.
Maltese Falcon
George
a muffler shop will stay away from these kind of repairs due to insurance and possible carbon monoxide lawsuit sad.gif
You can always pick up some 1.5"od u-bends and try to find a specialty welding shop that can clean up the metal, and carefully weld new tubing in the blown through areas. Then have them ceramic coated.
There are unknown problem areas inside the sheet metal covers, and with all of this work+ cost, no one will give you a guaranty.
These are still available at the dealer, about $5,000.00 a set. Headers are an option, or I'm sure the big Hershey, Pa. meet will have a good used set.
Marty
geshaghi
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 15 2014, 03:37 PM) *

George
a muffler shop will stay away from these kind of repairs due to insurance and possible carbon monoxide lawsuit sad.gif
You can always pick up some 1.5"od u-bends and try to find a specialty welding shop that can clean up the metal, and carefully weld new tubing in the blown through areas. Then have them ceramic coated.
There are unknown problem areas inside the sheet metal covers, and with all of this work+ cost, no one will give you a guaranty.
These are still available at the dealer, about $5,000.00 a set. Headers are an option, or I'm sure the big Hershey, Pa. meet will have a good used set.
Marty

Marty -
If you bend up a set of headers in the same OD at the originals, I can have my guys transplant the outer sheet metal. I found a set of inexpensive headers earlier this month at the Phoenix Club swap meet, so there isn't much urgency, but I'd love to have a set of HE's for the second -6 I have. If you know any welding shops around town that might be able to weld some of this up, please let me know. You coming to Sherwood's coffee tomorrow?
George
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(geshaghi @ Mar 15 2014, 03:58 PM) *

George
Marty

Marty -
If you bend up a set of headers in the same OD at the originals, I can have my guys transplant the outer sheet metal. I found a set of inexpensive headers earlier this month at the Phoenix Club swap meet, so there isn't much urgency, but I'd love to have a set of HE's for the second -6 I have. If you know any welding shops around town that might be able to weld some of this up, please let me know. You coming to Sherwood's coffee tomorrow?
George

Our MSDS race headers do not follow the bends of the oe heater boxes, so even if I sell you a set in 1.5", the fitting of the oe sheet metal will be a Sheet Metal Fabricators nightmare.
Tomorrow at Super Car Sunday , Topanga the 918 is showing up on display , I'm bringing the '59 bug. I'll make it out to Sherwood's one Sunday, he puts on a good gathering !
Marty
McMark
The real question is how much are they worth to you. Me and my guys are capable, but it's the type of job that doesn't have a budget. Maybe $500, maybe $2000. And it's the sort of job where it's probably easier to reproduce them completely, which I'm definitely interested in since you're not the only one who wants these things.
GeorgeRud
I'd be very concerned about the integrity of the tubes inside the envelopes as well. Even SSI heat exchangers have had splits into the envelope, and without a carbon monoxide detector, the results could be tragic.

I's either go for the factory or aftermarket ones (of questionable fit?), or forgo heat for the time being. Safety has to be the primary concern for all.
sbsix
I went through this about 15 years ago trying to save my original set. No one would touch them to repair the corrosion and holes, so I scrapped them and bought a set of B & Bs. It still bothers me that I couldn't save them. Last I heard you could still buy OE six heat exchangers from the dealer network but the cost was around $5-6K. Just far enough out of reality to say no thanks.
billh1963
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 15 2014, 09:49 PM) *

The real question is how much are they worth to you. Me and my guys are capable, but it's the type of job that doesn't have a budget. Maybe $500, maybe $2000. And it's the sort of job where it's probably easier to reproduce them completely, which I'm definitely interested in since you're not the only one who wants these things.

With all the conversions around I would think you or someone should go for it!

I have an original set that needs work as well. Like the OP, finding someone to do the work is the issue. My '72 is just running headers and I plan to convert my green car later this year and will need a set for that car as well. If you live anywhere other than Southern California the idea of having heat is appealing. laugh.gif
rhodyguy
@$2238.08 for a set of BBs and adding in any repair cost, $500+, you're half way or better to the OEMs. steep slope but if REAL and SAFE heat is what you want that's what it's going to take.
mepstein
BB's generally get bad reviews for lack of heat and poor fit. Waiting to hear reviews of some of the euro makes.
rhodyguy
the lack of heat seems to be the general consensus re BBs. did SSI produce repop 6 he's? i've seen older ads for them but have never heard of people buying them.

k
SLITS
Here's a set on German eBay with a "Buy it Now" of 950 Euros ... $1400 USD + shipping cost (if they will ship to the US). Passenger side can has a hole that can be fixed fairly easily.

914/6 HEs
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 16 2014, 10:30 AM) *

the lack of heat seems to be the general consensus re BBs. did SSI produce repop 6 he's? i've seen older ads for them but have never heard of people buying them.

k

No ssi's. These seem to have the most potential but lack real world reviews - http://www.haywardandscott.com/porsche/914-6.html
rhodyguy
do oems have a provision, holes in the casing, to access exh stud nuts?
Johny Blackstain
I went w/ H&S, but I have yet to install them. Paid out the ying yang for them, including VAT (which I found quite unconstitutional), but driving around here w/out heat is just not acceptable. Yes, OEM have holes for exhaust stud access, H&S don't.
SLITS
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 16 2014, 07:44 AM) *

do oems have a provision, holes in the casing, to access exh stud nuts?

The H&S and B&B appear to have the down pipe long enough to not need the barrel nut tubes for attachment.

Also, to repair the OEs, the clam shells won't come off without removal of the head flanges and barrel nut tubes. To correctly reassemble them you would need a jig made.
mepstein
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 16 2014, 10:47 AM) *

I went w/ H&S, but I have yet to install them. Paid out the ying yang for them, including VAT (which I found quite unconstitutional), but driving around here w/out heat is just not acceptable. Yes, OEM have holes for exhaust stud access, H&S don't.

I read your thread from years ago. Hope you get a chance to install soon. thanks
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 16 2014, 11:22 AM) *

I read your thread from years ago. Hope you get a chance to install soon. thanks

Thanks, so do I, but my six is a long ways off from being in the condition of my LE. sad.gif
toolguy

Marty

I did a world wide search through Porsche. . . Nope Not available any more in any Porsche warehouses or dealers. . .
Last price when they were available was around 1900 a side. . unless some place has a set stashed away that is out of the Porsche Parts system, and they are sitting on them. .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.