Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Silver Surfer
Have an assortment (thickness wise) of wheel spacers kicking around in an old box that came with my last 914. Right bolt pattern but are they hub centric? I know nothing about wheel spacers but want to push the front wheels out a bit. Not looking to track the car and know I'll need to source longer bolts, but can I use these spacers or do I need something different? Center hole is 3 and a half inches in diameter.

Does this look right to you? Thanks guys!

Click to view attachment
zambezi
Those are not hub centric. Hub centric means the wheel is centered on a raised hub in the center of the rotor or adapter. This provides a perfect centering of the wheel to prevent runout. Lug centric on the other hand relies on the lug bolts themselves to provide the centering (which is not as precise of a method).
Silver Surfer
Thank you! My suspicions are confirmed. I'm glad I posted. It's too bad though because I threw them on to see what it would look like and I really like the wider stance. Guess I'll be shopping for some proper spacers now. At least I now know the widths I need on each side...
bulitt
agree.gif

Lug centric is where the wheel is positioned on the hub by using close tolerance holes for each lug stud/bolt. Centered by the lugs.

Hub centric positions the wheel or spacer by using an extended lip on one side which fits into a corresponding relief on the other side.
A hub would have the flange which fits into a spacer which fits into a wheel, centering the whole assembly (nesting).

Click to view attachment
stugray
This question is close enough to the title to be on topic:

When I go to have my tires mounted & balanced what do the guys doing the balance need to know?

I mentioned to someone who balances wheels for a living that my wheels were "lug centric, not hub centric" and he said that it does not matter for the machine.

That worried me a little bit as I thought there was an extra step for lug centric wheels when mounting to the machine....
bulitt
Some balancing machines use a cone shape spindle. They throw the wheel on a spindle with a cone on it, then tighten it up. They have several different size "centering cones" to fit all wheels coming in the door.

IPB Image

Some have a flange plate
IPB Image

Some have specific collets/plate (F) for each bolt pattern. Probably the most accurate.

IPB Image
jsayre914
Check this thread out.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...32&hl=wheel

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.