Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll cages and targa latches/targa bad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
For those that have a roll cage (full or half), what has been the solution for the rear targa latches and rear targa pad with use of the top?

I would like to install a GT-style half-cage like McMark makes in the conversion car ... but not sure about the back pad, and access to the latches. (I have regular sized hands).

I'd like to maintain use of the targa top (drive with on or off).

I'd rather not weld on tabs and convert the roof to bolt on!

Can you share pics and experiences, please?

IPB Image
brant
roll cages in a street car aren't too safe
others will disagree....
and no disrespect to Mark's fine work...

but head injuries aren't fun
ask yourself if this would pass federal crash standards for head injury?

unless you want to wear a helmet on the commute to work?
(and very tight 5 points... perhaps a hans too)
Qarl
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 15 2014, 11:27 PM) *

roll cages in a street car aren't too safe
others will disagree....
and no disrespect to Mark's fine work...

but head injuries aren't fun
ask yourself if this would pass federal crash standards for head injury?

unless you want to wear a helmet on the commute to work?
(and very tight 5 points... perhaps a hans too)

The whole car wouldn't pass crash standards.

I'm not set on it. Just toying with the idea.

To clarify, it's not a full-cage. And the car does/will have properly installed 5-point harness with welded in backing plates.
brant
the whole car doesn't have metal/steel placed within head's reach...

the steering wheel and A-pillars are padded... that was a crash standard then and now.

nah... its fine as long as you have a helmet on.....
VegasRacer
I have had 2 teeners with full cages. Access for the rear targa latches was never a problem. The front ones were a bitch on both cars.
Maltese Falcon
When I designed +mandrel bent my cage in the black 6, my first rule of thumb was actually my thumb !
I use my hand as a guide for clearance prior to final shaping+welding. The rear at the padded vinyl area allows for latch operation. The roll bar up front just under the windshield frame at the left + right upper corners, makes a small jog which allows easy latch access. I'll send some pics along after AT+T finishes up my data problem this week. I haven't seen any brand name 914 roll bars done this way...but its an easy enough change-up to program into the mandrel bender.
Due to liability, I don't mfg. Roll cages/bars in the product line.
Marty
iamchappy
Make a special tool..... With my roll bar in i cant open the engine lid. if i remount it i am going to shorten the side bars and mount the rear bar forward an inch.
Elliot Cannon
The Screaming Yellow Zonker had a full roll cage. One of the reasons I sold the car (besides the three trips to traffic school) was the difficulty getting my old ass in and out of the car. A roll bar like the one McMark makes might be a good idea. A FULL roll cage might be safe for the track but not so much for the street. The roof of the Zonker was very easy to install and remove. It had normal latches front and rear and didn't need any special tools or techniques. I can be done with careful measuring.
Mike Bellis
My roll cage prevents the use of front latches. I removed them since the bar is in the way. On the rear, it takes two hands to get each latch locked down.

Top stays on with little or no rattles.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.