Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Montreal914
So, I'm in the process of installing an MSD 6200 on my car.

Obviously, the first thing I did was to read everything I could on the forum about these installations. pray.gif

I am aware of the possible tach issue and will address it at the end.

One thing that caught my attention if the fact that the 2 big wires (red and black) are directly connected to the battery. I didn't see anyone put or mention the installation of an in line fuse. idea.gif

Shouldn't this be protected somehow or is there already something in the box in that regard? confused24.gif

I intend to use Magnecor 45442 wires but I don't know if they come with the proper grommets to seal around the cooling tin.

Another concern I have is that my Blaster 2 coil is supposed to be mounted vertically because it's oil filled. The only area I could see would be on the firewall which will place it too far for the coil to distributor wire to reach. dry.gif

The other coil alternative is the vibration model that can be mounted in any orientation and could then be placed in the original location. Anyone has comments on that coil?

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 16 2014, 01:52 PM) *

So, I'm in the process of installing an MSD 6200 on my car.

Obviously, the first thing I did was to read everything I could on the forum about these installations. pray.gif

I am aware of the possible tach issue and will address it at the end.

One thing that caught my attention if the fact that the 2 big wires (red and black) are directly connected to the battery. I didn't see anyone put or mention the installation of an in line fuse. idea.gif

Shouldn't this be protected somehow or is there already something in the box in that regard? confused24.gif

I intend to use Magnecor 45442 wires but I don't know if they come with the proper grommets to seal around the cooling tin.

Another concern I have is that my Blaster 2 coil is supposed to be mounted vertically because it's oil filled. The only area I could see would be on the firewall which will place it too far for the coil to distributor wire to reach. dry.gif

The other coil alternative is the vibration model that can be mounted in any orientation and could then be placed in the original location. Anyone has comments on that coil?

Get the epoxy filled MSD high vibration coil.
'73-914kid
Yep, Blaster High Vibration coil is key. I run one upside down on the six, and it's perfect for upright applications.
ThePaintedMan
It's my understanding that MSDs are internally fused, so that's why you can wire them directly to the battery.
Montreal914
OK, great info!
No fuses needed on MSD 6200; Done.
I'm getting an MSD vibration coil. smile.gif
What about the Magnecor wires #45442, any one uses them? Do they come with the grommet for the cooling tin?
Thanks, beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 16 2014, 06:24 PM) *

OK, great info!
No fuses needed on MSD 6200; Done.
I'm getting an MSD vibration coil. smile.gif
What about the Magnecor wires #45442, any one uses them? Do they come with the grommet for the cooling tin?
Thanks, beerchug.gif

I have a set here if I was closer i'd sell them to you, don't know what you mean on the cooling tin grommet...or is this for a /4?

The six set has factory ends with the air seals.
Montreal914
Hi Mark, I wish it would be for a -6, but it will be on my 2056.

Yes, I'm talking about the cooling tin round opening for the spark plug. I hope the wire set comes with those booth to close them up.

On PP, the set for 73-76 2.0 is Magnecor 45442, so I guess they should have it.

Thank you for the offer, I will definitely look you up if I move back home... But for now, I really enjoy the CA climate driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.