Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone found alternative 90 degree spark plug boots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I am curious if anyone has found 90 degree spark plug boots that fit onto the plugs with carbs and the CFR throttle linkage.

When the wires come straight up, out of the shrouds they have to bend and rest against the bottom of the carbs.
I am guessing there is some leakage of the spark with the wires rubbing like that.

Any ideas?
Cap'n Krusty
I'm guessing you have 2 liter Porsche heads. You could use 911 plug connectors. A little pricey, and your wires may be too short, but wires can be made up from bulk. You'll have to buy the early type, and they require the nuts on the end of the plugs, but they should work well and give you bragging rights (and maybe double the HP, depending on how much you spend on them!). BTW, there are some early Volvo plug wire ends that would work. They used them on the front cylinder. I don't know whether you can buy them separately.

The Cap'n
rhodyguy
do you have all of the wire clips/retainers in place? cb tall manifolds or shorties?
stugray
The 911 wires look like they would work, but maybe still a little tall...

Here is my issue:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So the 90 degree boots for the rear two cyls only need to stick down about 1-1/2 inches from the engine tins
I was thinking some thing like the K.90 LT1 for the rear two and try the 'Bends to Fit for the fronts:

IPB Image

Any body tried the bends to fit from MSD?

wndsrfr
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 16 2014, 11:44 AM) *

I am curious if anyone has found 90 degree spark plug boots that fit onto the plugs with carbs and the CFR throttle linkage.

When the wires come straight up, out of the shrouds they have to bend and rest against the bottom of the carbs.
I am guessing there is some leakage of the spark with the wires rubbing like that.

Any ideas?

You can temporarily slip some corrugated flexible wire protector tubing over that wire where it crosses the intake. I've got it on several of my wires where they are passing close by any metallic portion of the engine.
rhodyguy
if you install the clips/holders i asked about you can usually steer the wires away from troublesome situations and keep the wires OFF of the tin. esp evident in your second picture. then the holes are plugged too. are there any particular reasons you mounted the cable linkage on the rear of the carbs and the coil way back on the tin?
stugray
are there any particular reasons you mounted the cable linkage on the rear of the carbs and the coil way back on the tin?

I'll put the clip/holders in, but if I pulled on the rear wires enough to make them not touch the linkage, they would have a serious kink in them.

I tried the cable linkage on the front and it seemed to interfere with multiple things.

As for moving the coil:
IPB Image

Brant noticed the coil location and mentioned that it is not in the flow of air.
I wasnt aware that they got particularly hot...
wes
To the Cap'n just got to ask, I would like to know more about the 911 plug wires and connectors as to the "maybe double the HP",, are you kidding or is a posable increase in HP to a large degree? Just sounds to easy.
ChrisFoley
Stu,
I redesigned the cable mounts late last year.
Improved plug wire clearance was one of the primary motivations.

Click to view attachment

This topic in the Member Vendor Forum covers more of the details.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=224048
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.