Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speed Nuts for Grill and lettering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alphaogre
The cheapest I can find these little rubber Speed Nuts is $1.40 Each, any recommendations on a place to get these with out having to spend $40 to keep the grill and letters on? Or is this one of those items you just have to bite the bullet on?

I checked all my local auto parts stores and they had nothing... found a couple online sites but they were all around the $1.40 range...

I didn't like these things when I was having to take these suckers off, now I really hate them if I cant find them any cheaper.
bulitt
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 16 2014, 04:42 PM) *

The cheapest I can find these little rubber Speed Nuts is $1.40 Each, any recommendations on a place to get these with out having to spend $40 to keep the grill and letters on? Or is this one of those items you just have to bite the bullet on?

I checked all my local auto parts stores and they had nothing... found a couple online sites but they were all around the $1.40 range...

I didn't like these things when I was having to take these suckers off, now I really hate them if I cant find them any cheaper.

Try your local hardware store. Lowes and HD have cabinets with specialty fasteners, you may find them there. Like 70cents for pack of four. or Mcmaster -carr search for speed nut. some use item 90533A132
toolguy
McMaster and Carr. . box of 100
Zinc-Plated Steel Flange Speed Nut
1/8" Size, 17/32" Flange Diameter
Packs of 100
In stock
$10.45 per pack of 100
90533A132

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flange-speed-nuts/=r4gezg

And to make the rubber cushion inserts, I cut a bunch of rubber grommets in half and inserted each half in each speed nut. .
saigon71
I took the grill into Lowes with me. I picked up a few packs of nylon nuts for a couple bucks. They fit snugly on the pins and are easy to install and remove.
stugray
I am sure I saw a drawer of those at Ace Hardware but did not verify that the size would work.
Alphaogre
Awesome thanks! I saw the square versions at lows but they didn't seem to fit. Ill try the McMater-carr stuff for sure, I don't even care if the rubber is on them or not.

Is the rubber an ascetic thing, or does it serve a purpose?
Alphaogre
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 16 2014, 03:14 PM) *

I took the grill into Lowes with me. I picked up a few packs of nylon nuts for a couple bucks. They fit snugly on the pins and are easy to install and remove.

That.s a good idea too...

Have you had any issues with them vibrating off or anything?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 17 2014, 08:18 PM) *

Awesome thanks! I saw the square versions at lows but they didn't seem to fit. Ill try the McMater-carr stuff for sure, I don't even care if the rubber is on them or not.

Gotcha! Sorry, couldn't help myself!

"ascetic"
 noun
a person who dedicates his or her life to a pursuit of contemplative ideals and practices extreme self-denial or self-mortification for religious reasons.
a person who leads an austerely simple life, especially one who abstains from the normal pleasures of life or denies himself or herself material satisfaction.
(in the early Christian church) a monk; hermit.

The Cap'n

Larmo63
Anyone who toys with 914s is NOT an ascetic!!!!
Mikey914
The only problem is they cut into the studs, so over time they can break. Do not over tighten. Just snug works.
ripper911
The stuff inside the stock nuts is more paste like, think butyl tape, or that gooey removable tape for hanging pictures.

The real ones are still available from Porsche.
Spoke
I used a die and threaded the standoff pins on the letters then bought some nuts at the hardware store and threaded them on.
Alphaogre
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 17 2014, 09:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 17 2014, 08:18 PM) *

Gotcha! Sorry, couldn't help myself!

"ascetic"
 noun
a person who dedicates his or her life to a pursuit of contemplative ideals and practices extreme self-denial or self-mortification for religious reasons.
a person who leads an austerely simple life, especially one who abstains from the normal pleasures of life or denies himself or herself material satisfaction.
(in the early Christian church) a monk; hermit.

The Cap'n

Haha Thats an interesting auto-correct for the ipad...haha
saigon71
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 17 2014, 11:20 PM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 16 2014, 03:14 PM) *

That.s a good idea too...

Have you had any issues with them vibrating off or anything?

I just checked...they are all still there, holding tight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.