Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freon capacity to fill for the first time?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Did you fill your A/C system from empty? How much Freon? Do you have a modern compressor or the York?
messix
you shouldnt try this on your own.

you have to evac the system first then get the right pressure on the low and high side.

go to a ac shop
computers4kids
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 16 2014, 07:11 PM) *

you have to evac the system first then get the right pressure on the low and high side.
go to a ac shop

It seems fairly straight forward with manifold gauges using a "r134a temperature relationship chart" to set the low pressure side, keep the high side within limits guided by ambient temperature. Is this more challenging than it seems? I respect your advice, just asking. All the components are new.
JRust
You can't A/C a 914 WTF.gif
SLITS
1.) Did you put about 6 ounces of the correct oil for the refrigerant in the compressor prior to hooking up the lines?

2.) You must evacuate all the air / water vapor in the system with a vacuum pump capable of pulling 28". Not only does this evacuate the system, you can see how long the vacuum holds. If you shut of the pump and close the valve and the needle rises you have a leak somewhere.

3.) A good starting point is 24 ounces (two cans). Most systems will take about 2 1/2 cans and be considered full. You can check the completeness of the charge by looking at the sight glass on the filter drier if it has one. No bubbles .. system is full.

4.) If you overcharge, it will stall the compressor.

5.) Having a fan blowing on the condenser coil is a good idea.
Ron,

You da man with all the answers! I just learned some thing new.
jasons
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Mar 16 2014, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 16 2014, 07:11 PM) *

go to a ac shop

It seems fairly straight forward with manifold gauges using a "r134a temperature relationship chart" to set the low pressure side, keep the high side within limits guided by ambient temperature. Is this more challenging than it seems? I respect your advice, just asking. All the components are new.

That's probably good when you are topping off. But on an empty system, I always understood you need to evac it first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.