Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gag me with a spoon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porcharu
AAARG! Tuned in on my DVR this weekend to I don't know what sort or crap F1 turned into. Sped thru the practice session hoping that the sound would 'grow' on me (like mold or fungus) then the awful Q1, Q2 and then I just gave up and said this SHIT sucks. BORING, DULL, LIFELESS, SLOW what else can I say. Oh well at least I can save $10/month on TV bills. What a shame the FIA is (what a joke really.) Rant off.
Just another reason why Turbos should be forever banned from real racing.
rsrguy3
You saying the sunoco 917 was boring?
effutuo101
Miss get it, but I will say that the top speeds are amazing. Sound aside, I will hold judgement until mid season.
bulitt
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Mar 17 2014, 01:54 AM) *

Miss get it, but I will say that the top speeds are amazing. Sound aside, I will hold judgement until mid season.

The fastest lap in Q2 before the rain fell was @ 1.30. This was over 5 seconds slower than MS qualifier in 2004? He would have lapped this entire field three times!!! These cars are significantly more expensive, significantly slower, and only my wife appreciates the sound. Think F1 does this to upset the status quo and unseat a powerhouse team. Which is ok because watching the same team win constantly can be a little boring and probably disheartening for the other guys. Carrying around all the fuel is a trade off for running fast. There is a chance the Indy cars will be faster in Montreal?
Johny Blackstain
The FIA can KMA.gif . They have been on my stromberg.gif list since 1972. Why?
#2- they essentially banned the 917, but worst of all was...
#1- introduction of the worthless, piece of crap, totaly unnecessary, lame, moronic, pansyfied "chicanes" on the worlds greatest straight-a-way in 1990 barf.gif
brp986s
Rant back on...

Looking forward to AMA Daytona 200. Guess what? No TV coverage at all, although hours and hours of dirt bikes for the ADHD headbangers. Plus special channels for baseball and tennis. $100/mo not enough!? Because the first-tier sports channels have such high-demand things like girls basketball cheer.gif !? Already getting arthritis from from fastforwarding and muting. Time to pull the plug!
brp986s
Rant back on...

Looking forward to AMA Daytona 200. Guess what? No TV coverage at all, although hours and hours of dirt bikes for the ADHD headbangers. Plus special channels for baseball and tennis. $100/mo not enough!? Because the first-tier sports channels have such high-demand things like girls basketball cheer.gif !? Already getting arthritis from from fastforwarding and muting. Time to pull the plug!
brp986s
sawzall-smiley.gif
JmuRiz
I thought it was a hood race, nice to see some newbies on the podium(pending the final ruling on the RB)

Sound doesn't bug me at all, but I'm a motogp fan too and think they sound like the old 990 V5 or current 1000 4s. They were slow on this track, I hear vmax on longer straights should be similar. New tech always has teething problems when limited to total engines per year and fuel flow/capacity
Alphaogre
I think they sound like Moto GP bikes now, but the sound of the turbo helps a little. I like that now when people say "oh its just a 1.7" when referring to my 914, I can reply with "yep, bigger then a F1 motor". shades.gif

I like seeing McLaren and Williams not be embarrassing and I saw a force India fight and pass a Ferrari, so the mix up is more interesting then last year.
Porcharu
I just watched the 'race' and I am done. BORING - just no 'drive' and that Camry V6 sound with a fart can muffler kills me. I deleted everything 2014 and will be downgrading my sat TV bill and 'reinvesting' the savings into my 914 that won't sound like a fart can on a Camry. I will be sending a real letter to the FIA indicating my dis-pleasure when I have an hour of spare time to piss away. I guess the only racing I will see now are those cool 750HP trucks on supercross tracks.
Sad really.
Maybe this is a good thing as I might get my car back on the road soon and start doing track events sooner. biggrin.gif
Porcharu
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 17 2014, 07:18 AM) *

The FIA can KMA.gif . They have been on my stromberg.gif list since 1972. Why?
#2- they essentially banned the 917, but worst of all was...
#1- introduction of the worthless, piece of crap, totaly unnecessary, lame, moronic, pansyfied "chicanes" on the worlds greatest straight-a-way in 1990 barf.gif

Agreed!!! I have an old VCR tape of the 'in car 962' and the footage of the straight at La Mans is NUTS - 260 MPH and Derrik Bell is in relax mode and talking with no stress at all. Some of the tape is dubbed but this part sounds 'live'.

'73-914kid
Man, tough crowd...

So the sound needs some work, but honestly when you consider the technology that these cars are running, doesn't that at least spark some interest? Yes they're quieter, but all that wasted energy from the exhaust is being recovered for more horsepower. I'd rather have more power than sound.

I'm an N/A engine guy, always have been, and always will be. My roommate likes turbos, I don't, but the tech on these cars definitely sparks the engineer in me. This is the direction motorsports is going, because this is the direction society and the consumer automotive market is going, plain and simple. small displacement turbocharged engines using some sort of energy recovery system will be what most of us will be purchasing in the next 10 years I bet.

I'm not an advocate for racing having to be relevant to road cars, especially monoposto racing, but the tech here is really, really neat. close to 900 HP on full discharge out of a 1.6L v6. That's about 200 more HP than the old 3.0L ferrari V12 engines of yesteryear. Tell that me that isn't impressive?

All this being said, I think engine rules should go back to the way they were in 1969, and wings should be eliminated. biggrin.gif poke.gif
JmuRiz
I think people that are fans or have been to an ALMS race in the past don't mind the sounds of the new F1 cars. I was lucky enough to go to an ALMS race back when they had a lot of different cars running (R8 with TT-V8, Panoz with the BIG V8, Caddy TT-V8, Judd V10, Corvette Big V8, Viper V10, Saleen V8, Ferrrari V12, Porsche Flat 6).

Loudness didn't bother me, although it was cool to see/hear a big Panoz V8 neck and neck with the eerily quiet Audi TT-V8...fast is fast and new tech to make efficient/fast street cars works for me.

I need to get out to see the new Audi hybrids, I hear they are even more quiet than the old gas TT-V8...must be odd to see something quietly moving that fast.

Are we all going to bitch about the Porsche P1 car if it sounds like an old Saab V4 but beats the Audi in this year's Lemans?
mittelmotor
The Ferrari aspro V-12s were the pinnacle for me…you could hear the metal cry; sent a chill up your spine. All the tech in the world is no substitute for this sound.

Went to a WEC race at Circuit of the Americas last year, and was highly impressed with the speed of the Audi e-Tron prototypes, though they made a weird sound that was a cross between electrical arcing and a sheet aluminum splitter constantly scraping on the ground. Would be a lot more exciting with real engine sounds.
naro914
A part of the appeal of F1 was the awesome sounds of a screaming engine. OK, so they took that away. If it's good racing, I can live with that...

But it wasn't. The entire race, all I could think about was 'who's car is going to fail next?'.

Good racing? Rosberg won walking away.

oh, and WTF with the fuel flow rule that DQ'd Ricciardo? huh??? is this racing, or only an engineering study? I'm all for advancements in engineering and technology, but let them RACE.
JmuRiz
Maybe F1 couldn't handle Ricciardo on the podium and the golden boy struggling all weekend with the car/pace biggrin.gif
boxsterfan
Here is a sample comparison between 2013 and 2014.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=jS4Dh_EAfJI

I'll take 2013.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.