Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enquiring minds need to know .....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gulf908
Hi,

After owning a number of early 911s,I am in the process of becoming acquainted with my recently acquired 1970 914-6.
As there are not many of these here in Sydney,I am hoping the experts on this forum can assist me in getting the best from my new acquisition.
It will be a regular weekend driver but no track days.
My mechanics Grant & Tim are very well versed in the early 911s so I should not have many mechanical problems.
It will remain LHD and US spec.

1. I have a 914 spec book WKD 422 221 which doesn't have much -6 info.Was there a specific 914-6 spec book or is all the data in the Service info booklet ?

2. Is the CDI unit the same as the contemporary 911s ?

3. The early 911s have a production number under the lower dash - is there such a thing on 914s ?

4. Are the key codes to be found on the door locks somewhere ?

5. There are workshop manual dvds on e bay - can anyone give me feedback on these ? - are these available through one of our 'tame' vendors ?

6. I have a Bosch fuel filter 0 450 905 002 - is this correct fuel flow for my standard motor ? where is the best physical placement for this filter - pics if possible.

TIA
Dennis. biggrin.gif

.... obligatory pics ..... Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Speedmster
Check http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...18&t=227804 post#16 about workshop manuals. Not sure if they are still available, but it's a start.

mepstein
welcome.png Great looking car!
type47
link to link of PET parts catalog

http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=32085

GeorgeRud
Congrats on your purchase, you should have fun with it. There is no small spec book for the 914-6, but using the 914 book and the motor and front end specs for a 69 911T will give you the info you need. I've never seen the DVD version of the shop manual, but it's probably just a scanned copy of the factory manual (9 binders originally), so should be worthwhile if still available.

The CD is the same as the 911s of those years (3 pin Bosch), and the distributor can be either a Bosch or Marelli.

No markings as far as the key locks, but they're easy to rekey for any locksmith or careful owner.

Not sure about the under dash numbering, I've never looked under there carefully or taken mine apart that far.

Enjoy it in good health!
Cairo94507
welcome.png That is a terrific looking Six. I hope you post more pictures of it and keep us all informed about your experiences with it.
KELTY360
welcome.png Sweet car. Seems to be a growing number of 914s on the road in Oz.
'73-914kid
Wonderful looking -6 you have there. Signal Orange with 15" fuchs always looks sweet beerchug.gif

2. Yes, Bosch CDI is the same as early 911's I believe.

3. 914 Vin numbers tell the production number, driver side A-pillar has the vin tag, and driver side forward door jamb has the Karmann Karosserie tag that gives paint code and chassis number as produced by Karman.

4. I think factory replacement locks came with a tag on them that included the key code, and the lock cylinders may have been stamped for a key code. 914 locks are pretty straightforward to re-key though as long as you can find the wafers. Repro wafers are available.

That's all the info I can answer for you, goodluck with the car!
Cap'n Krusty
The fuel filter will work, but it's HUGE. There is no stock filter called out in the parts book. It's been years since I looked at an original 6, but I think a filter bracket is welded on the firewall on the right side near the pump. The filter for an early 4 would fit there (Bosch 71 024). There's a hitch here, as that filter is NLA. What I usually do on the 4s is use a BMW Tii filter, mounted in line between the plastic pipe and the pump. That number is 71 015. It has the correct filtration and flow rate for your application, and is small enough to fit under there.

BTW, you can access the parts catalog online (or order one from the dealer for under $15 USD, Porsche part number 000 043 400 05). Search "Porsche Classic Parts Catalog", follow the prompts.

Nice car, BTW.

Have fun!

The Cap'n
Dtjaden
For a shop manual as a PDF file try this link on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-914-6-...44f&vxp=mtr

Great car!
larryM
great looker!

some sixes had SN stamped on a tab under the dash right above the ash tray - it's very difficult to see - (gotta remove all the brackets & maybe the radio & move wire bundles) - it is at the rear (passenger comp't) edge

- need bright lite & mirrors while you 'stand on your head'

I have owned 2 sixers (70-71) that had this under dash tag & 1 that did not - it's an ongoing debate on the originality forum, where you can find added info on such matters - it is not at all clear if ANY 914-4 had this number, nor what years it was emplaced

long ago i deleted the few photos of said number tags that i had - didn't seem important until the originality debates raged

X2 on George's comments

- I have the PET6 and once in awhile find it useful - I also have the complete 9 volumes factory shop manuals which are very useful

- even a pdf would be nice to have, tho the pdf stuff tends not to be indexed & is hard to use

awhile back a set of 6 of the 9 manuals was on ebay - asking $1200 or more as i recall

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.