Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Like Quailty full range sound while cutting the curves on a weekend drive?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J0n52 914
driving.gif

Driving is more fun when you have your favorite tunes so you can sing along like Tom Cruse in the movie Jerry Maguire.

I wanted to make a nonintrusive amp and sub to supplement my two front speakers. Here is what I ended up with.

Here is the plan, deconstruct what is there and make it better, imho. You purists know what to do KMA.gif

914 audio pics, click here

or view here
Deconstruction
Click to view attachment
The build
Click to view attachment
Reconstruction
Click to view attachment
Sub Speaker Placement
Click to view attachment
Power Source
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I tried the center console but didnt like it as much as the latest version I completed. I do have two center console builds in various stages if desired. This obviously didnt get covered in pleather.Click to view attachment

the final look is something like this. It is not done yet so it doesnt look done yet but you get the picture:Click to view attachment

The only thing left is to install two tweeters on the dash somewhere then I will have a component sound set.
aktion035.gif
IanS
Hey Jon,
What did you not like about the center console part that made you switch to the center armrest/seat setup? I was thinking of using the center console for a sub and maybe even a hidden modern radio.
boxsterfan
I like the setup, but am also curious as to why not put this in the center console area with the woofer facing passenger side? Lots of room there.

Thanks for the pics.
mgp4591
I was thinking about the center console also but the armrest thing works! You could even face the sub down for protection if you wanted since subs are non-directional anyway. Is that an 8" you're using? popcorn[1].gif
J0n52 914
QUOTE(IanS @ Mar 18 2014, 11:59 AM) *

Hey Jon,
What did you not like about the center console part that made you switch to the center armrest/seat setup? I was thinking of using the center console for a sub and maybe even a hidden modern radio.

The one i used has the integrated sealed box built to spec for the proper air chamber for the JL speaker. The center console with all it's angles was a bitch to make, but I did. Then I didnt like the way the nano amp fitment was in the console. Left no room to have guages, if I am having that center console (not armrest) I want guages.

I have two center consoles already built one with the box in it. Make you a real good deal... smile.gif
J0n52 914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 18 2014, 01:21 PM) *

I was thinking about the center console also but the armrest thing works! You could even face the sub down for protection if you wanted since subs are non-directional anyway. Is that an 8" you're using? popcorn[1].gif

no, 6.4 JL audio got it out of Cali of the interweb for $100 shipped, locally and all others was $180 ++

great sound, the Nano from soundstream works great. Tuning was simple and the amp powers more than the speaker handles so it is clean sound not distorted.
shades.gif
J0n52 914
if someone wants the center console with the hole precut for the JL audio 6.4 sub, it will be cheap.

$50 shipped

mostly for shipping obviously, but a hamburger for my time. It will fit the sub and nano amp on top. I "think" the air space is correct. I burned up a calculator and some paper trying to calculate it..

the second one not so far along is available too PM me if interested can take pics

here is the armrest tightly fitted. Will hinge soon and then it will be done. The box is secured with straps to the seat belt recievers and a single bracket in the front.

I like to KISS beer.gif

Click to view attachment
J0n52 914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 18 2014, 01:21 PM) *

I was going to have it fire into the rear space where the amp is for the same reason, it would protect the cone and move air over the amp. BUT, I liked the look better in the front.

Personal opinion.

popcorn[1].gif
J0n52 914
here is a link to the hardware used if anyone interested. I am consumer not selling FYI.
These are the two cheapest sites I found for the hardware. If you google the car audio shop there is a code for additional 6% off.

JL 6.5 SUB

nano amp
J0n52 914
PS safety note:

using air stapler is dangerous, those suckers go through anything.

PPS

going in the skin/finger hurts less than getting them out..

Just word to the group.

:-)
messix
I wonder why people keep trying reinvent something that has been done to near perfection for this car.

http://shop.914rubber.com/Subwoofer-speake...m?productId=123
Jeffs9146
I like the console ones!

I fiberglassed the inside!
messix
old thread with pics of the foot well sub box and how discrete it can be.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=subwoofer
mgp4591
You could buy an 8" Bazooka and put a cover over it for your console. Or stuff it standing up behind the center front console. Or stand it up between your seats... Options, options... shades.gif
J0n52 914
No, even the smallest bazooka was to large and got in the way of passengers leg room. I had one, took it back. It didnt fit the nonintrusive aspect of this build for sound. I had the same thought though.

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 19 2014, 12:44 AM) *

You could buy an 8" Bazooka and put a cover over it for your console. Or stuff it standing up behind the center front console. Or stand it up between your seats... Options, options... shades.gif
J0n52 914
NICE!!!

w00t.gif

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 19 2014, 12:04 AM) *

I like the console ones!

I fiberglassed the inside!

J0n52 914
Looks nice, where do you put the amp?

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 18 2014, 08:55 PM) *

I wonder why people keep trying reinvent something that has been done to near perfection for this car.

rsrguy3
Please forgive my ignorance here but I'd like to learn a few things, a couple of questions if I may.
- I thought base was better if the cone is aimed into the box is this an issue with the foot, console, or armrest mounted sub?
- do you need tweeters if you go for a good all around door sill speaker? I've herd there are some awesome ones out there.
-would it be bad acoustically to build a tweeter pods from composite to mount in the upper corners of the targa bar?
Any teaching here will be appreciated and) used.-G
JmuRiz
QUOTE(J0n52 914 @ Mar 19 2014, 04:15 AM) *

No, even the smallest bazooka was to large and got in the way of passengers leg room. I had one, took it back. It didnt fit the nonintrusive aspect of this build for sound. I had the same thought though.

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 19 2014, 12:44 AM) *

I have one that I a 6.5" powered tube mounted just in front of the passenger seat...so it didn't mess with their leg room. Made for some fuller sound. Along with 4x6 component plates int he stock locations and a par of 3.5 upfiring from a console between the seats I made.

I don't think I have a picture sad.gif
messix
QUOTE(J0n52 914 @ Mar 19 2014, 05:18 AM) *

Looks nice, where do you put the amp?

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 18 2014, 08:55 PM) *

4chnl amp behind the consol gauges
TheCabinetmaker
I put my boss amp in the front trunk. Mounted to the gas tank bulkhead. Out of sight, out of thieves way. I still have my unmolested center cushion. Modified factory pods to accept kicker 6X8's. 8" sub in front part of gauge console. It thumps!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.