Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7L with carbs dizzy question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmital
got a rebuilt 1.7L I'm dropping in my runaround daily driver 914.
It will have 34icts delivering fuel. Currently has a 009 dizzy. Should I find an original distributor that went with the 1.7L??? or better dizzy suggestions??? confused24.gif

currently in the 914 in question, I have a 2.0L with the original FI dizzy and the 34icts. I had the 009, it didn't advance well. it was suggested on this site to utilize the original FI dizzy, and, believe it or not, the car runs fine with the FI dizzy.
The problem is, once cylinder's compression is low and taking the engine out for a rebuild, hense replacing with the 1.7L while doing the work myself.

FYI, I also have a '73 2.0L, all original. So the above situation will be for running around town, not worrying about mall parking lots, ball fields, etc.
I'm enjoying real performance with my '73 2.0L
jaxdream
Personaly I would try the oem 1.7 D-jet distributor. Advance is setup for that engine , 009 won't get you there. Also I would remove the Fuel Injection points from the bottom of the distributor ,put them up where you will remember where they are, no since running them with the carbs - wear & tear . The other option is the distributor from the 1.8 , suppose to be great with carbs. Please keep this thread updated , I have a brand new set of 34 ICTs in a box I got long ago for a VW T3 , just need to source the intake manifolds , iffen yours work out good.

Jack
r3dplanet
The easiest thing to do is to get a distributor from a 1.8 liter. Those have a different advance curve more likeable to the carbs. Or you can spend some money and get a Mallory.
brant
rmital
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Mar 19 2014, 08:39 PM) *

.......Please keep this thread updated , I have a brand new set of 34 ICTs in a box I got long ago for a VW T3 , just need to source the intake manifolds , iffen yours work out good.

Jack

will do...going to Hershey in a few weeks for the swap. Hopefully find a 1.8L dizzy or an 050.

anyone reading this and attending the Hershey meet that has a 1.8L dizzy or an 050 for sale, please PM me.

Thanks..... flag.gif
rmital
I found an excellent 050 dizzy....good price.

again, this will be used with a 1.7L, 34icts, daily beater.

not looking for racing performance, but do want "normal" behavior.
don't want to as Jake mentioned in an earlier thread, "fry the heads and pistons with higher engine temps".

what you say before I pull the trigger????

thanks,
Ray flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.