Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ehaust stud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hedgehog
pulled the teener out this weekend to get ready for the a/x season and I knew i had an exhaust leak...didn't realize i had lost an exhaust stud...in my searches around the normal sites..ie; pelican,rock auto, local dealer...so far can't find a stud...anyone have the dimensions of a '75 2.0 exhaust stud...maybe the local FLAPS might have one...
Elliot Cannon
I have a couple and I'll send you one. One is 55mm long and the other 50mm long. I'll send them both if you don't know for sure which one you want. I'm probably not far from you. PM me your address and I'll send them to you.
Cheers, Elliot
budk
QUOTE(hedgehog @ Mar 19 2014, 07:36 PM) *

pulled the teener out this weekend to get ready for the a/x season and I knew i had an exhaust leak...didn't realize i had lost an exhaust stud...in my searches around the normal sites..ie; pelican,rock auto, local dealer...so far can't find a stud...anyone have the dimensions of a '75 2.0 exhaust stud...maybe the local FLAPS might have one...

I hate to say it but AA sells them in standard as well as oversize in case you need to drill and tap your head.
JamesM
surprisingly I was able to get a bunch from the Porsche dealer last time I needed some.
hedgehog
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 19 2014, 04:48 PM) *

I have a couple and I'll send you one. One is 55mm long and the other 50mm long. I'll send them both if you don't know for sure which one you want. I'm probably not far from you. PM me your address and I'll send them to you.
Cheers, Elliot

pm sent smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(hedgehog @ Mar 19 2014, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 19 2014, 04:48 PM) *

Cheers, Elliot

pm sent smile.gif

Studs sent. biggrin.gif
stugray
For future reference:

Ace hardware actually carries some automotive studs.

Or belmetric.com has metric high-grade all thread.

I made 8x 8mm exhaust studs just to find out when I went to install them that all but one had a step stud... then ordered 10 step studs....
Cap'n Krusty
Late to the party here. In nearly every case where an exhaust stud has fallen out of a 914, the threads are less than optimal or the boss is cracked, or both. Look carefully! You cannot make a satisfactory exhaust stud out of all thread! The stud you need is 56mm long. The dealer can get them for you, but it makes absolutely NO sense for them to stock parts for a car approaching 40 years old. It should be noted that most, if not all, the aftermarket sources get their dealer specific parts from, wait for it .................., THE DEALER! You can, too, and may even get a better price if you're a PCA member.

The Cap'n
stugray
You cannot make a satisfactory exhaust stud out of all thread!

McMark was the one that suggested it, and it appears to work fine.

The rod I bought was grade B7 8X1.25 from belmetric.
Turned out to be about $1 each.
JamesM

The captain makes a good point here, in that most cases where you have mysteriously lost a stud will be due to the boss being jacked up (the other case being if you used those stupid copper lock nuts that will always pull the stud if you try and remove them! BTDT)

Never forget this engine is almost all VW. In the case your stud boss is jacked up, this has been my source for the step studs:

www.airheadparts.com
part number:
N146841 - Stud, 8x9x56

at 9 bucks a pop they are not exactly cheap for a stud, but it is worth it to try as 9 bucks is a lot cheaper then pulling and rebuilding your heads!

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 19 2014, 08:16 PM) *

Late to the party here. In nearly every case where an exhaust stud has fallen out of a 914, the threads are less than optimal or the boss is cracked, or both. Look carefully! You cannot make a satisfactory exhaust stud out of all thread! The stud you need is 56mm long. The dealer can get them for you, but it makes absolutely NO sense for them to stock parts for a car approaching 40 years old. It should be noted that most, if not all, the aftermarket sources get their dealer specific parts from, wait for it .................., THE DEALER! You can, too, and may even get a better price if you're a PCA member.

The Cap'n

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 20 2014, 12:16 AM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif

If it fell out the threads are boogered and I also don't like all thread for exhaust studs.

My Porsche heads had perfectly good threads on a bunch of all thread homemade studs, they all came out. One even broke and I had to timesert that hole...still better than all thread studs.
stugray
So what is the real issue with the allthread?

8X1.5 thread is 8X1.5 thread.

Maybe the allthread is a machined thread process while the studs are rolled thread.
This would make the studs lower "quality" and possibly stay in place better?

I asked a question slightly related a long time ago about running a tap through the head bolt stud threads in the case.

The answer I got was "dont do it" but I never got a good answer why?
The only thing I can think of in that case was that the factory used a slightly less than full thread tap to make the original threaded holes for a tight fit.

Maybe the exhaust studs should be a little "big" to stay seated properly at temperature.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 20 2014, 06:58 AM) *

Maybe the allthread is a machined thread process while the studs are rolled thread.

I asked a question slightly related a long time ago about running a tap through the head bolt stud threads in the case.

The only thing I can think of in that case was that the factory used a slightly less than full thread tap to make the original threaded holes for a tight fit.

Maybe the exhaust studs should be a little "big" to stay seated properly at temperature.

Sure, 8x1.5 is 8x1.5, but you could probably thread a cylinder of threaded butter if you could keep it frozen. Or a wooden dowel. What matters on an exhaust stud is the composition and treatment of the metal. All thread rod doesn't make the cut. It's a relatively soft piece of general purpose steel meant for things other than exhaust hardware.

Tapping head stud holes in the case. You need to chase the threads with a thread chaser, which essentially restores (or "reforms") the threads, not recut them with a tap. That way you're not cutting away metal which is important to the integrity of the threads. BTW, IME the threads in a new case aren't really all that tight when you thread in a head stud.

The Cap'n
stugray
What matters on an exhaust stud is the composition and treatment of the metal. All thread rod doesn't make the cut. It's a relatively soft piece of general purpose steel meant for things other than exhaust hardware.

You must have missed the part where I said I bought grade B7 all thread. That is equivalent to grade 8, but grade 8 must not 'make the cut'.
I have even read where some people say to NOT use hardened bolts in exhaust because they will break before they bend.

If I had found this place I might have bought their studs with allen holes for installation:

http://www.volksbolts.com/eng.htm

see part # ENG-2.5.1
hedgehog
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 20 2014, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 20 2014, 06:58 AM) *

Sure, 8x1.5 is 8x1.5, but you could probably thread a cylinder of threaded butter if you could keep it frozen. Or a wooden dowel. What matters on an exhaust stud is the composition and treatment of the metal. All thread rod doesn't make the cut. It's a relatively soft piece of general purpose steel meant for things other than exhaust hardware.

Tapping head stud holes in the case. You need to chase the threads with a thread chaser, which essentially restores (or "reforms") the threads, not recut them with a tap. That way you're not cutting away metal which is important to the integrity of the threads. BTW, IME the threads in a new case aren't really all that tight when you thread in a head stud.

The Cap'n

in my quest to find the studs i talked to the local porsche dealer and he informed me they did not stock them, which was not a surprise, but he told me to contact the VW dealer around the corner....called them, they didn't stock them either but he did tell me they were an 8x1.25 thread....my head does look galled up (from what these old eyes can tell) my plan was to use a time cert to repair the head...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 20 2014, 01:47 PM) *

What matters on an exhaust stud is the composition and treatment of the metal. All thread rod doesn't make the cut. It's a relatively soft piece of general purpose steel meant for things other than exhaust hardware.

You must have missed the part where I said I bought grade B7 all thread. That is equivalent to grade 8, but grade 8 must not 'make the cut'.
I have even read where some people say to NOT use hardened bolts in exhaust because they will break before they bend.

If I had found this place I might have bought their studs with allen holes for installation:

http://www.volksbolts.com/eng.htm

see part # ENG-2.5.1

Nope...stainless studs are more brittle and corrode in aluminum.

Try googling 56mm exhaust stud.... confused24.gif

here's one
http://www.fastenersplus.com/8mm-x-56mm-st...lain-pkg-8.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.