Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replace headlight reflectors ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gandalf_025
I have a pair of Cibe Z Beams that have been with my car
since the 70's. The car sat for a lot of years and the
reflectors are now rusty and peeling.
The lenses are still in good shape though.. Has anyone
removed lenses and replaced reflectors ?
I was thinking of posting a WTB for lights with broken lenses,
but don't know if the lenses can be removed without damaging
anything..

Anyone done this ?

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Yup, heat them up in the oven for about 15 minutes then pry apart (with gloves on). But then comes the task of finding someone who can re-chrome them. If you get THAT part solved, let me know. I'm still looking for someone to do chrome for reflectors without completely over-charging for it.
gandalf_025
I'm not looking to get the reflectors rechromed. I want to replace them..
Either by buying lights with broken lenses or buying cheap lights the same size and swapping the reflectors over ?

At least I know how to take them apart now..
CptTripps
You could get them powder-coated with the "chrome" powder they have. It looks outstanding and wouldn't cost much at all.

Just a thought.
anderssj
There was a place called something like "vintage headlight restoration," but I think they're in the UK . . . . maybe they know somebody on this side of the pond?
Mr Pharmacist
Yes these guys do it over here in the uk - the reflectors are done by silver plating - its very expensive i believe....

http://www.vintage-headlamp-restoration.co.uk/
7TPorsh
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 20 2014, 04:10 AM) *

You could get them powder-coated with the "chrome" powder they have. It looks outstanding and wouldn't cost much at all.

Just a thought.

I wonder if anyone has done this on the tail lights or turn signal buckets?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.