Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement bumper top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
I just unwrapped the front bumper top that I ordered from Mark at 914 Rubber. It looks great! It even came with new hardware that I was not expecting. Price was fair too. If you are looking to replace this part, buy it from him. You will not be disappointed. Well done Mark, and thanks.
EJP914
tumamilhem
Does it look smooth and exactly like OEM? Mine is textured so looking for original looking one.
ripper911
I think they have a slight texture to them. They are very much like the originals.
JeffBowlsby
The originals are textured.
tumamilhem
EJP914, would you mind taking a close up picture of it so I can see the texture?

Jeff, would you mind doing the same with your OEM one so I can see the difference?

PS Jeff are you going to Okteenerfest?
ripper911
hide.gif
dlkawashima
I'd say the difference in texture is negligible. There is a difference in the sheen. Here is a bumper top from Mikey914 and a NOS bumper top. Unfortunately, these are phone images, so the resolution isn't that great. But I believe you can see that the NOS bumper top is less shiny ...

Click to view attachment
dlkawashima
One more ...

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
Which is which? In the first pic which is the one on the left? Is the OG one more spingy and Mikey914 more hard?
McMark
IIRC, Mark made the reproductions out of slightly more firm material to keep it from denting and warping like the OEM pieces. A worthwhile deviation from OE, in my opinion.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 20 2014, 06:21 PM) *

Which is which? In the first pic which is the one on the left? Is the OG one more spingy and Mikey914 more hard?

In the first picture, the vertically oriented picture, the NOS piece is on the left.
In the second picture the NOS piece is on the bottom.

Regarding springy vs hard, wasn't the original bumper top made from some type of expanded foam? And isn't the Mikey914 bumper top made from a poly-rubber compound, something like that? In any event, I think Mark is accurate in saying the Mikey914 bumper top is ever so slightly firmer. But I don't see how you'd ever notice that out in the wild.

Bottom line ... the 914Rubber bumper top is an excellent reproduction.
ripper911
What are your thoughts on the AA ones?

poke.gif hide.gif alfred.gif
tumamilhem
confused24.gif
Mikey914
The main difference between ours and OEM is the stainless substructure. It will not rust like OEM. Expanded foam is basically a sponge. Put a nos one on a daily driver would be a waste. If it sits in a museum fine.
just my .02

Georges are the same as mine. biggrin.gif
Ask me how I know.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 22 2014, 12:05 AM) *

The main difference between ours and OEM is the stainless substructure. It will not rust like OEM. Expanded foam is basically a sponge. Put a nos one on a daily driver would be a waste. If it sits in a museum fine.
just my .02

Georges are the same as mine. biggrin.gif
Ask me how I know.

How do you know? lol
Chris H.
I think Mark might make AA's confused24.gif ? Or better said they carry his fine product.
balljoint
How does it fit?
Mikey914
Just like oem
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.