Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
I found a 914-6 2.0 engine to replace my 1.7 and am having a shop rebuild it for me. I am wondering what others have done for an oil tank. Is it best to try and find an original or go to an after market tank. If an after market what tank. Thanks
mepstein
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Mar 20 2014, 09:52 AM) *

I found a 914-6 2.0 engine to replace my 1.7 and am having a shop rebuild it for me. I am wondering what others have done for an oil tank. Is it best to try and find an original or go to an after market tank. If an after market what tank. Thanks

Aftermarket isn't much cheaper than original. I would stick with all oem and then all the oem lines and fittings will just bolt right on.

BTW - I have a really nice oem - on engine oil cooler if your looking.
RonnieJ
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 20 2014, 10:14 AM) *

QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Mar 20 2014, 09:52 AM) *

Aftermarket isn't much cheaper than original. I would stick with all oem and then all the oem lines and fittings will just bolt right on.

BTW - I have a really nice oem - on engine oil cooler if your looking.

Thanks, I will talk with the mechanic and see what he has available at this shop and if he doesn't have one I'll get with you.
GeorgeRud
The original oil tank would be a good idea. You might also want to check with Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd (309-694-1797) as he may have some used conversion parts that may help you on your conversion.

It's really a very nice project to undertake, and a -6 is a lot of fun. I've found the trouble is that you're never totally finished as there's always something else that you can update on the car.

Enjoy your project in good health!
Cairo94507
Great project. You might consider posting the engine number here. I know several Six owners are searching for their original engines to go with their original Six cars.
larryM
I have seen too many half-baked oil tank solutions done by guys who ran out of money before the dream was finished - leaving them with hard-to-sell never-done project cars

go oem type tank - you can afford that if you can afford to have that 6 rebuilt in a shop
Dave_Darling
The original -6 motor is not very exciting. I personally feel those are best left to the original Sixes. A conversion can use a larger or more powerful motor almost as easily as the 2.0 liter 911T motor (which is basically what a 914-6 motor is).

You might enjoy a bit more power...

--DD
Mark Henry
It's a conversion so I'll say a DWD tank is the best. Don doesn't make them anymore but I believe the Patrick tank is the same design.
They bolt up just like a stock tank, but are all aluminum. Stock or -AN fittings.
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/pmp...-16an-fittings/

If using a stock tank I'd only go with a good used (cleaned and pressure tested) or new tank. Some used ones are real rough and they can have rust issues. They are a steel tank with an electroplated copper coating, exterior painted black.

If you have the time deals often come up in the for sale section.
BKLA
agree.gif
RonnieJ
I checked at Patrick Motor Sports and they have the tank lines and everything to install it as a stock six would have it so I'm going to go that route.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.