Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: helping a teener out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
I MRT a fellow enthusiast, and I'm trying to get his 914 running. It has the FI which I'm not used to messing with.

It is getting fuel, m gonna check the points and such, but it hat after that? Its turning over but not firing.
ripper911
I pulled a plug out to ch ck the spark, I didn't see a spark but it fired up with the plug out...

What does that tell you?
Spoke
Did it start up when you replaced the plug?

Removing a plug shouldn't cause the engine to start up.

Sounds like something is loose and you bumped it getting the plug out.

Check all electrical connections.

How did you check fuel? Remove an injector and squirt into a jar?
ripper911
We got it running...

I checked the fuel by pulling a line off of one of the fuel rails and running the pump. I got a good spray (in my eye) when I pulled the line off, so I'm thinking that relieving that pressure may have helped. I messed around checking the distributor and such, but I think the car just wanted to be shown a little attention. It's running great now.
zipedadoo
Just as a point of interest......I got a car to start by pulling a spark plug. Put it back in and it would not start. Found a plugged exhaust to be the problem.
ripper911
Now he says it's not starting again...

Turning over but not firing.

I'll get back over there to help him out when I can. Hopefully he'll stop in here and get it figured out.
poorsche914
Could be the fuel pump going bad. I had one that would work sometimes, sometimes not blink.gif
Finally replaced it with a later model style and been going strong ever since.

driving.gif
somd914
Is it D-Jet or L-Jet?

I had the D-Jet FI harness connection to the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor break on me, actually an intermittent connection. When it would open, the engine would die, would crank but never light off - gas smell from the exhaust, had spark, but wouldn't run. Then sometimes it would run for a few minutes when contact was being made.

If it's D-Jet and the CHT is open (no connection) the engine will flood out immediately and not start, or at least do more than sputter.
ripper911
It's a 73, so I'm assuming that it's d-jet. After I checked that the fuel pump was functioning, fiddled with the distributor, and pulled a spark plug and put it back in it seemed to be running well, we took it around the block and let it idle for a while.

I am unfamiliar with working on fuel injected cars, I know the parts from my time at AA, but I'm used to carbs so I really don't know what I'm doing with this setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.